1911Forum banner

621 - 633 of 633 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Rescued this 1944 Colt frame that was already re-parkerized. Put together a Frankenstein 1911 with commercial Springfield slide/barrel that actually match well (drop-in fit and finish matches closely too). Still a good shooter in it's current state.

·
Registered
4 Posts
After 2 years I finally got a CMP 1911 and I think it's a good one. I searched the Colt serial number and it comes up as being made in 1943. Does anyone know if there is a way to identify if it's the original slide? I'm relatively ignorant on older 1911s so any information on markings would be much appreciated.
Thank you!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
After 2 years I finally got a CMP 1911 and I think it's a good one. I searched the Colt serial number and it comes up as being made in 1943. Does anyone know if there is a way to identify if it's the original slide? I'm relatively ignorant on older 1911s so any information on markings would be much appreciated.
Thank you!

View attachment 599414 View attachment 599415
The serial number of the original slide would be found under the firing pin retention plate, like this :

And the ghost number on said plate

This example had a replacement slide, however the firing pin retention plate is original and still has the ghost number

·
Registered
4 Posts
What an impressive collection of 1911 photos! I have a question about the two 1917 Colts pictured in posts #3 & #5. The hammer on post 3 appears to have more of a curve to it than the hammer on post 5. Are they actually different or is it an illusion due to photo angle? Thanks, JG

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here are pictures of my three along with a short synopsis on each.

Top one is a Colt M1911 of late 1918 or "Black Army" vintage. It was manufactured on October 11, 1918 and shipped to Bush Terminal Brooklyn, NY on October 15, 2011. It is a solid pistol functioning wise but has seen a lot use & wear over the 100 years of it timeline. Otherwise all of the parts are correct for this vintage pistol to include the interlooping HP barrel., The wear on the stocks, slide and frame have the wear appearance of having been together over the many years.

In the middle is a late production (July 1945) Remington Rand M1911A1. It is in really excellent condition. All components are correct for this pistol.

The third pistol is a late production (June 1945) Colt M1911A1 sold at Auction in early 2020 by the Civilian Marksmanship Program. The pistol was all correct with the exception of the stocks. The stocks that came on it were for Remington Rand. I had a correct set of stock in my parts bin and have replaced them on the pistol. It is in excellent condition and shows no rearsenald/rebuild markings.
100_3647.JPG
255_2[1].jpg
100_4684.JPG

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Here are pictures of my three along with a short synopsis on each.

Top one is a Colt M1911 of late 1918 or "Black Army" vintage. It was manufactured on October 11, 1918 and shipped to Bush Terminal Brooklyn, NY on October 15, 2011. It is a solid pistol functioning wise but has seen a lot use & wear over the 100 years of it timeline. Otherwise all of the parts are correct for this vintage pistol to include the interlooping HP barrel., The wear on the stocks, slide and frame have the wear appearance of having been together over the many years.

In the middle is a late production (July 1945) Remington Rand M1911A1. It is in really excellent condition. All components are correct for this pistol.

The third pistol is a late production (June 1945) Colt M1911A1 sold at Auction in early 2020 by the Civilian Marksmanship Program. The pistol was all correct with the exception of the stocks. The stocks that came on it were for Remington Rand. I had a correct set of stock in my parts bin and have replaced them on the pistol. It is in excellent condition and shows no rearsenald/rebuild markings.
View attachment 605631 View attachment 605632 View attachment 605633
There is no way the 1945 CPM Colt slide/frame came from the same gun originally. Would like to see some more detail photos without the flashlight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
"Quote" There is no way the 1945 CPM Colt slide/frame came from the same gun originally. Would like to see some more detail photos without the flashlight. "Unquote"

Reference to mlin's above quote. I am most interested in how or upon what basis you made this determination. This is not to criticize your stated observation but rather to understand and maybe learn. I have provided additional pictures, above, to help you as requested.

621 - 633 of 633 Posts