1911Forum banner

61 - 80 of 627 Posts

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Ithaca

I have Ithaca 1258946 and it too has the large FJA. I thought I had it in my notes as being the small FJA, but was mistaken.
The Colt grips only have a mold number on the backside, but the Keyes have a mold number in addition to a star with a K inside the star.

·
Registered
39 Posts
u r rite, they are Colt by the markings inside. How did you tell from the outside? Can you show me the outside differences?

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Colt Grips

The early Colt plastic grips had small rings, but can be identified as Colt by the hollow backs where the Keyes had reinforcing ribs in the back. Starting in the 795/800 thousand range Colt changed to large rings around the screw holes, and this continued until the end of production. The rings on the later Colt grips are readily idenified from the Keyes grips with the smaller rings.
In the picture the grip on the left is Colt, Keyes on the right.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Type I Remington Rand

While just a common Remington Rand, most collectors will tell you that the Type I is a hard variation to find. This one, the 983rd Remington Rand made, has the COLT .45 AUTO barrel and the 1911 slide stop which were transferred to Remington Rand to get production started. It also has the stubby hammer variation found on some of the early Remington Rands.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Remington Rand Type I

Here is another Type I Remington Rand some 180 pistols later than the first Type I shown. This one still has the COLT .45 AUTO barrel, but the standard Remington Rand hammer.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Remington Rand Type I

A later Remington Rand Type I with a High Standard barrel, but the stubby hammer variation. This one has two perfectly and evenly stamped acceptance marks. The marks were evenly spaced so that both would fit in the space. Someone was just playing that day.

·
Premium Member
3,550 Posts
Johnny.... it seems you have way too many type I RRands in your collection......and since I am have trouble finding my first, for mine.....well you know..... can we get together .....????? :grumble:

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
RR Type I

I very seldom sell anything as I normally only buy what I like, and I like all of the Type I's.
Thanks for posting the other side of your Singer. It looks like the one I saw in Tulsa last April.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
2 of my fav-O-rites...both also ex-Navy

Ithaca M1911-A1

S&W Navy Model 1899
This rare revolver was in the military's first purchase of S&W swing-out .38 caliber hand ejector revolvers. The military markings on the butt include USN and anchor, Navy serial #311 and inspectors' initials CAB, denoting inspection by Lt. Charles A. Brand.

Cheers,
Ty

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi I'm new here. And this is my first post.

I recently aquired several handguns from my father-in-law, Col. Richard Boland US Army (ret).

Here are pictures of three of them.

The Ithaca has me a little stumped. The s/n is for a Remington Rand. But it also has the G.H.D. stamp, which I thought only Colt's had. It's a pity it was plated too, as I understand that the parkerized versions are more desireable. But it has a match barrel and an interesting history.

The gun was given to my father-in-law by another officer, during the Vietnam War. At the time, Col. Boland was a war plans officer and worked for General Westmoreland. "A backup man", he called himself. He's a rather confrontive sort, and can be very violent if pushed to far. And at one point the one doing the pusing was none other than (then) Col. Nguyen Cao Ky.

Col. Boland setup a gauntlet (the same kind used today at military installations, and promoted heavily by recently deceased Gen. Wayne Downing, who served under and received his first real combat training as a leiutenant, under my father-in-law) at MACV headquarters in Saigon. Col. Ky apparently took objection to the maneuver and as punishment ordered my father-in-law to use a rear gate that was inconvenient, out of the way, and unnecessary.

When my father-in-law refused, he was met at gun-point by the Viet sentry's and attending colonel at the front gate. He returned with mounted machine gun on his jeep and several Nung bodyguards. He threatened to cut the guardshack and anyone inside in half, if they didn't let him though.

Col. Ky was outraged and challenged Colonel Boland to a duel. Colonel Boland accepted. The US Army did not. They instead organized a target match betweent the two, and ordered Col. Boland to lose.

Colonel Boland brought the match Ithaca pictured below ;) just to be sure he wouldn't. :p

Attachments

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Pistols

The first photo is of a Remington Rand with a post WWII slide.
The second photo is another Remington Rand with a 1911 slide.
The third photo is a Colt with an Ithaca slide. This pistol looks like it was taken to a wire buffing wheel to remove rust.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Johnny Peppers said:
The first photo is of a Remington Rand with a post WWII slide.
The second photo is another Remington Rand with a 1911 slide.
The third photo is a Colt with an Ithaca slide. This pistol looks like it was taken to a wire buffing wheel to remove rust.
JP,

Thank you for the information. :D

That these are cobbled to some degree, <personal chuckle> doesn't really surprise me. :rolleyes:

The one with the Ithaca slide would certainly be nicer, had it not been nickel plated. At this point though, I wonder if it's worth having it re-done, re-parkerized or just leave it alone. What do you think?

So aside from the little history of the picece, I gather it's probably not worth alot. Would that be correct in your estimaion?

It would probably be best to get RR slides for the other two also. Right? Is that a "doable" thing? Or are they scarce as hens-teeth these days?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi fellas,

I picked this Ithaca up on Friday. This will be used as a daily carry cause I can't get a 2nd gun (not allowed according to laws). What do you guys think. It looks to be in excellent condition but I haven't fired it yet.

AMK

61 - 80 of 627 Posts