1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some walnut grips from C & S that I wanted to put on my Colt 1991A1.

Problem:

While turning the screws to tighten them down, the screws slowed up as if to stop, then kept turning. Thinking that I hadn't tightened them all the way down, I kept turning the screwdriver until it stopped.

Then curiousity got the better of me and I decided to take them off and look again to see what was what.

Upon removal I discovered small, thin wood shavings (like sawdust, you might say,) inside the hole for the screws in the grip itself and also on the small, internally-threaded post that the screws go into.

Question:

Is this normal or did I somehow wreck my new grips..?

Addendum:

At one point the screwdriver slipped out of my hand and scratched the finish off of the LH side of my pistol (so I'm mighty angry at myself right now).

T I A to any/all who reply...

Doc

·
Registered
562 Posts
The hole in the grip should basically kinda look like a donut - there's an outer 'ring' above and below the inner 'ring'

http://www.woodgrips.com/1911_ultra_thin.htm - this shows a good side view of it.

If you overtighten a screw, you can sometimes crush the inner ring, which is the part that touches the grip bushing...if that's crushed or gone, there's a good chance your grips can slip off.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Dr. Johnny Fever said:
I guess I better order another set of grips, then... :(
Wait! Don't order any yet. Try this - use a couple of small o-rings or pieces of aquarium tubing under the screw heads. that might just save the day for you.

·
Registered
470 Posts
FYI

Some of the screws for the thin grips have a slightly wider diameter head than the normal width grip screws. Also, the thin grip screws from my Baer TRS fit fine on my stock grips, but be advised that the extra width means that grips will be compressed in the areas under the screws. That might work for you. RB

1 - 5 of 5 Posts