1911Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yet another tribute to my ignorance.

Took my 1991A1 apart to oil the moving parts. While re-assembling I ran into trouble.

I couldn't get the slide stop to go all the way back in. Then, it wouldn't come back out. It was just stuck.

At first I didn't want to wrestle with it, but finally I had no other choice, and it popped loose. Then, it happened all over again. I assumed the barrel link must be in the wrong spot or something. Wrestled with it again, and again it popped back out.

Finally, I got it all properly situated, but then the slide got jammed in the recoil position. Wouldn't go forward, wouldn't go back. Started thinking God hates me and I was about to wreck my favorite toy.

I was fooling around with the slide and it slid off the frame and banged down onto the table as it fell, recoil spring first. Became certain that God hates me and I *was* wrecking my favorite toy for sure.

Somehow, finally, got it all back together and it worked o.k. Then, I noticed that all the moving of the slide back and forth trying to line up the barrel link had stripped the finish on the barrel (where it's exposed through the ejection port,) right off in two big spots. Just bright silver color showing through. Real bright.

Resolved that I was just too stupid to own such a nice firearm, wondered what parts I might have made weaker and prone to breaking down the road, and just hated myself in general.

And that's where I'm at right now, I'm embarrassed to say.

[This message has been edited by Dr. Johnny Fever (edited 08-08-2001).]

·
Registered
594 Posts
Nah...hang in there John.
1911's are tougher than a lot of people give them credit for.

·
Administrator
74,631 Posts
Remember the abuse that GI .45s had to go through in the hands of ignorant recruits. Your M1991A1 will be just fine. The marks on the barrel were gonna show up later anyway after you'd fired a few hundred rounds through it.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
LOL...ROTFLMAO...

...You should go into writing...either that or conflict management...You seem to be doing well with your conflict in this case...

Hang in there...I can only wish I'd had your sense of humour when I went through a stage like that...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. Johnny Fever:

Resolved that I was just too stupid to own such a nice firearm, wondered what parts I might have made weaker and prone to breaking down the road, and just hated myself in general.
Concur...

Go ahead and package it up, and email me, and I will provide an address for you to dispose of it.

Next time, just remember to go SLOWwwwww.

It may help you to practice the Assembly of the gun, WITHOUT the springs. Just strip the frame down, and try installing the Slide/Barrel combo, or just remove the MSH, and sear spring, and practice your assemblys...

Sometimes, without the pre-load of the springs, things go easier.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that while doing a function check after it was all back together, the slide (which was oily,) slipped out of my hand as I pulled it back and it slammed forward with no bullets to hold on to.

That's the second time that has happened to me. Have I wrecked the extractor..?

I'll tell ya', sometimes when I look at my mug in the mirror all I hear in my head is Homer Simpson shouting, "DOH!!"

·
Registered
271 Posts
Get a GLOCK? that's too rude! Kinda sounds like an insult to me.

I don't think you hurt anything. I've dropped the slide on an empty chamber at least a bazillion cajillion times and the gun never broke.

Of course I was in the military at the time and the gun wasn't my property and I wouldn't have to pay to get it fixed.

As punishment for your sins. I admonish you to go to the range and shoot the gun completely dirty, Clean the gun and put it back together(correctly please) lather, rinse, repeat.

Now go forth and sin no more."Homer"

·
Registered
44 Posts
LOL, I've done the same once.
Remember to hold the pistol upright when reinstalling the slide stop so the barrel link will drop down. I installed my slide stop once holding the pistol upside down (I missed the link) and it seemed froze, but as you described, it came out without any damage.

As for the galling on top of the barrel at the ejection port, it will happen after 50 rnds or so. just use oil on that area as in all your autos.

As for dropping the slide on an empty chamber. No damage there unless you have a round in the barrel by hand and the extractor slams into the rim and snaps into place. You are ok dropping the slide on accident every once in a while.

As for the Glock! They are only good for making Colt plastic mainspring housings out of their frames and rear sights out of their slides
P.S. I wouldnt trust using them to make important parts

Don't sweat your worries about your 1991, I remember I dropped mine once on the dirt (no visible marks) and was worried I broke something and later told my gunsmith and he just laughed at my ignorance of the strength of these fine pistols.

The 1991 colt is a very well designed and sturdy peice. The pistol will last damned near forever.

------------------
"KNEES IN THE BREEZE"

[This message has been edited by EIGHTYDUECE (edited 08-10-2001).]

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
LOL, just wait until you try reassembling the shorter models. The first time I put my Champion back together I swear it felt like they used a 46lb. recoil spring!

I've also discovered that, if I hold the slide EXACTLY right, the guide rod will fly all the way down the hallway and into the livingroom before landing.

This is why I don't field strip when I'm at the indoor range.

Just take your time, it'll be okay.

Mac

·
Registered
843 Posts
Dr. Johnny,

Your posts crack me up! You must have a degree in journalism as well as being a doctor! Rest assured, just about everyone here has done the same things you are doing. Just hang in there and keep learning.

Oh, by the way, do not send your gun to Jaydee. I'm still waiting for you to send it to me in response to one of your previous posts!
-TR

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, guys.

I'm s l o w l y starting to relax (a little) about my gaffs on the learning curve, thanks to all of you. This little board is indispensable therapy, let me tell you. Where would I be without you? I shudder to ponder it...

Again, thanks a lot!

[This message has been edited by Dr. Johnny Fever (edited 08-13-2001).]

·
Registered
98 Posts
Maclean3, Boy can I identify with you. I just had the pleasure of cleaning my new Champion LW this past weekend. If my guiderod hadn't hit the wall instead of making it through the open shop door, it would probably still be in the air when it got away from me during reassembly. Kinda adds a little spice to a boring day doesn't it. You are dead right the Champion is not a gun to field strip in anything but a room with all the doors and windows shut...LOL

·
Registered
562 Posts
We don't have the space or time to list all the DUMB things that I have accomplished with the different pistols I have owned. So like the rest of you I'm going to keep learning and shooting and shooting and learning until I get it right. I could be here awhile!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts