1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 499 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
I was really excited when I found that Sarco had imported some Sistemas and some Colt Commercial 1930s production 1911A1s, so like any good C&R collector I decided to order three of them. One Sistema for $499 and two "best condition" (for markings) Commercial 1911A1s at $699 each (OUCH!), understanding that the commercials would have little, if any finish remaining, but that they were to be "original." I've been screwed. These are anything but original and after the $120 I paid for shipping, I may as well paint them at this point. They look like crap. Looks to me like some jackass in Argentina decided to break out the steel wool or something to bling it up. Also the Sistema is supposed to be "arsenal refinished" but it must have been an arsenal here in the states since the import marks are filled in with parkerization.

All in all I'm 100% dissatisfied, but that's what I get for jumping the gun on these.

First, here is one I'm happy with since I got it from an arfcommer this week and it has sharp lines and was $450.
It is a 1954 Sistema. No freaking finish left, maybe 5% under the grips. LOL I'm glad I only paid $450 delivered for it. The only import marks are on the slide and all parts are original to the pistol except the magazine.

And a pic next to my refinished non-matching Sistema I bought in August. in this pic, you can see how freaking shiny this bad boy is.

And the rest...these three are Sarco Imports.

At least the slide matches on this one.

Policia De La Capital

·
Registered
569 Posts
almost looks like a bad nickle plate job in the pics
hope the other three are better

·
Administrator
74,410 Posts
It looks to be from the last batch of Sistemas to land in this country, and yes they were quite rough. They also had the heavy import stamp on the slide like yours does. Good luck with it, you now have a project gun that you can hopefully turn into a decent shooter. If I were you I'd use this as a great opportunity to learn how to bead blast and Parkerize at home.

EDIT: Looks like you posted pics of the rest of them after I already replied. It looks to me like Sarco wasn't exactly being truthful in their ads. Can't you send them back?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
This slide matches too...

Policia Federal

Sarco Sistema

Geez...seriously...you "arsenal refinish" the pistol and ship it without the barrel link???? ***, I'm glad I didn't try and shoot it!

And the entire group of my September 2012 1911A1s...

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Seriously, what do I do with these bare metal pistols? Obviously no collector value left. Should I paint them? Gold plate them? Poop on them? Throw them in the trash? Sell them to someone dumber than me? Rust them on purpose? Send them to Colt to re-blue? Modify them with my dremel? Throw them in my motorcycle saddle bag for emergencies?

·
Registered
569 Posts
I think I would just shoot them as is, then decide
but I have to draw the line at gold plating one, blah:barf:

·
Administrator
74,410 Posts
Pic of a pile of old Colts and Sistemas...

And a stack of the aforementioned...
Careful doing that with those, you might scratch the finish.....

Seriously, what do I do with these bare metal pistols? Obviously no collector value left. Should I paint them? Gold plate them? Poop on them? Throw them in the trash? Sell them to someone dumber than me? Rust them on purpose? Send them to Colt to re-blue? Modify them with my dremel? Throw them in my motorcycle saddle bag for emergencies?
Like I said, this is an opportunity to buy yourself a cheap blasting cabinet and media from Harbor Freight, a stainless steel pot and basket, and some D-I-Y Parkerizing solution, and start goin' to town on those. It sounds like you can't return them (which of course would be option #1), so make some lemons into lemonade. Who knows, they may clean up well enough that they'll look halfway decent and you can then sell them off to folks wanting a USGI clone. I'm not going to lecture you on overpaying for junk, because it sounds to me like Sarco was quite dishonest about the actual condition. But then again, that's Sarco. I won't even buy their replacement 1911 parts which I already KNOW are crap.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I guess I shouldn't be too pissed. Worse case is I got a pair of $500 colts and paid $700 each for them. Oh well. Sarco said they would ship a new barrel link for the Sistema to me on Monday. How much does Colt charge for a reblue?

Edited to add: Just called zColt and they said there is a four month turn around time to reblue, but they might be able to do some work on it to add sharp lines back. Total cost would be about $400. Should I?

·
Registered
574 Posts
I guess I shouldn't be too pissed. Worse case is I got a pair of $500 colts and paid $700 each for them. Oh well. Sarco said they would ship a new barrel link for the Sistema to me on Monday. How much does Colt charge for a reblue?

Edited to add: Just called zColt and they said there is a four month turn around time to reblue, but they might be able to do some work on it to add sharp lines back. Total cost would be about $400. Should I?
Just my opinion, but spending $400 on a reblue for one of that quality is throwing good money after bad.

They're your clams though...

·
Registered
295 Posts
I think I would just shoot them as is, then decide
but I have to draw the line at gold plating one, blah:barf:
Don't be negative, you can buy some really nice gold plate in the can @ Walmart...

I am just curious how many trucks Eagle has, because he has at least half a dozen truck guns. Crap, I feel so underpowered. Must buy more Colts....

·
Registered
574 Posts
Put them in the BBQ? Are we sarcrificing to the Colt Gods?
Not put them IN the BBQ, take them TO the BBQ, hence "barbecue gun"...

With all of the anti-American uprisings, I'd suspect we're going to see a new batch of Dictators in the next 5-10 years.

Maybe you could open a custom shop that caters to Dictators exclusively.

A Dremel tool, case of gold metal-flake Krylon, and a Bedazzler should get you started... :)

In all seriousness though, a functional 1911 is better than not having one.

I don't remember what magazine I saw it in - maybe Shotgun News - but they ran a story that had some pictures of some of Saddam's guns.

He had a barn full of pimp guns, with one photo being one of our beloved GIs holding one for the camera in one of Saddam's palaces.

It was a 24k gold-plated military rifle if I remember correctly.

I got a good laugh out of it, then found myself wanting a chromed 1911... I guess it works on me too.

·
Registered
328 Posts
As mentioned earlier, home Parkerizing is easy to do http://www.m1-garand-rifle.com/parkerizing/

I used this kit from MidwayUSA to Parkerize some Garand parts on my kitchen stove. It includes an instructional DVD http://www.midwayusa.com/product/73...ute-agi-parkerizing-kit-with-step-by-step-dvd

Rust bluing at home is even easier and cheaper than Parkerizing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_tvVAt8LPo

With Mark Lee Express Blue you can rust blue a pistol in one evening http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=8795/Product/EXPRESS-BLUE-1

This is a Nambu Type 14 from which someone had unfortunately removed almost all of the finish.

Here are the parts rusting

Boiling the rusted parts in distilled water converts the brown rust to black oxide

The process is repeated until the desired level of bluing is achieved. The finish is blacker and richer in real life than in the photos.

If you avoid buffing or polishing the metal before rust bluing the markings remain sharp and unaltered

·
Registered
295 Posts
I know, Blacksmith, I was just joking about putting them in the smoker. I am starting to like custom dictator guns. The gold and dimonds make it easier to shoot, lo

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I like that rust bluing you did. Did you also use a bench wheel to buff it after the rust bluing was applied? Can I do this without a dampbox or any special tools?

1 - 20 of 499 Posts