1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going through and doing some evaluation for a new lube to keep in the shop as MMC is no longer selling direct. I'm looking at FP-10, Weapon Shield, G-96 Synthetic, Eezox, and Mil-Com MC2500.

Unless I've lost my mind, looking at the scpecs and appearance of them I'm more or less of the opinion that Fp-10, Weapon Shield, and G-96 are esentialy the same product. If I'm wrong please correct me, I'm pulling my hair out trying to decide, and it's getting down to the choice being packaging and price.

As far as the Mil-Comm I'm not realy sold on the use of Teflon as I didn't much care for the lubes I tried in the past that had teflon. I'll definately keep the Eezox as an anti corosive if nothing else.

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
Use something and you will be ok. Don't buy into the hype.

:) :) :) :)

Take care,
Art

·
Registered
552 Posts
I like Tetra Gun. But hell I know guys that use Mobil One. Like Art says, use something and you'll be ok.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I've never really noticed a difference in what I use. I agree that anything is better than nothing. Mostly, I'm using Rem Oil with teflon right now.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I use Wepons Shield and it works for me. I know that there are many gun oils and lubes out there, however WS is the one I like. JMHO
Chief-7700

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I am using synthetic motor oil mixed with super fine moly powder (.3 gr per oz of 20w oil). If I didn't have the moly powder, I would just use pure synthetic. I have found that this stuff works as well or better than the gun lubes on the market and is a lot cheaper.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Thanks Capt. Bligh

Unless we're measuring our slides in microns worn away how do you know? The product Amsoil uses a scar method involving ball bearings with a known force and they measure the wear mark or scar. How are you guys testing?

·
Banned
389 Posts
Synthetic motor oil works just fine and a quart will last a long time.

How do I know it works? Its slick, stays slick on a hot gun, and stays put. The temps and lubrication needs of an engine far exceed anything my .45 is likely to see.

There's a lot of snake oil out there, pun intended.

·
Premium Member
3,668 Posts
Noklue3 said it best..."use something and don't buy into the hype"....

Too often we tend to get overly influenced by "a something" we read on the Internet.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I thought you were supposed to drink the EVO.
Also agree, use something and it will be fine. Sopme of the earlier stainless steel pistols need a more special lube, but I bet the modern lubes would pretty much all work fine.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Weapon Shield was developed by the same guy who developed FP-10 (then left the company), so there's likely some crossover in secret ingredients. I've found that the Weapon Shield is just a slightly bit thicker, which I think is an improvement. As far as how they compare in performance, I've no idea...they both work great on my guns. My next order will probably be for Weapon Shield because A). it's a bit thicker, and B). the guy who developed both says WS is better (but take that for what it's worth...he's no longer with the original company; however, based on comments by others I've read, I tend to believe him).

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've completely ruled out FP-10 based on the way it is packaged. trying to put it where it needs to go is like filling a glass with a firehose. Sure it will go where you need it, but also everywhere else. If it isn't available in a needle or pin point type bottle I don't have much use for it.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Rhys said:
I've completely ruled out FP-10 based on the way it is packaged. trying to put it where it needs to go is like filling a glass with a firehose. Sure it will go where you need it, but also everywhere else. If it isn't available in a needle or pin point type bottle I don't have much use for it.
I had the same problem. Bought a couple needle-tip bottles, filled 'em up and I'm good to go.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Some people even use grease. I've some unused white lithium grease that I was gonna try out on my glocks. If it works then maybe it'll get to touch my 1911.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If it was just for my own use repackaging it wouldn't be a problem, but it is also for sale in the shop, and my customers have realy come to like the needle oilers/

1 - 20 of 32 Posts