1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I went shooting with my girlfriend for the first time yesterday (she's shot before, I've shot before, just first time shooting together), and after correcting some of the horrible teachings her stupid ex had done to her (I've ALWAYS been taught to use the pad of your finger tip on the trigger, but apparently that gives you an "uneven pull" and you're supposed to use the middle of your finger... BS) and we determined she was most comfortable with the CZ out of my collection. That's just fine and dandy, but then we went to one of the shops and were looking at other 9mm's for kicks and John, the guy at the counter that I know, pulled out a Kimber Pro in 9mm, without either one of us asking. Now that's apparently her favorite fit because of the size of her hands. She's very picky, too. So, do I eventually be the great boyfriend and get her the Kimber? I, from experience, don't particularly care for them. $900 is a lot for something that may or may not work out of the box, and I know I can get her a slightly down-sized and lighter version of the CZ 75 a la P-01 for about $300 or more less. *Sigh* Why oh why did I take her to the range?

·
Registered
836 Posts
If she's serious, let HER buy it, otherwise, she can shoot the CZ. If I was married to her, different deal. Women can be very fickle, $900. is a lot of money in this economy to impress her with.

And, lets face it, GUNS are down the list for girl's favorite possessions. I sold my wife's full size M&P 40 to our newly minted State Trooper son as a backup piece, he had always loved the gun. I replaced her gun, with a M&P 40 Compact with factory Trijidon night sites, and lever safety. (per her request) Went through HELL finding that rare grouping of options! And 6 months later, she has yet to fire it!!! Yet I honored her request and changed out her kitchen faucet a week ago, she's still thanking me and raving about it!!!! A DAMN FAUCET!!!

John

·
Registered
252 Posts
Well, it would be wiser to rent a few different guns to see what she likes to shoot before plunking down the big cash on a Kimber that she may not even want after she tries it out.

·
Administrator
74,042 Posts
I know a lot of women who shoot tend to prefer 1911s (something for us red-blooded macho 1911 lovers to think about) because the grip is more suited to their smaller hands. A 9mm 1911 might very well be an ideal gun for a female. However I agree, she needs to either try one out first or buy it herself.

·
Registered
24,389 Posts
If she wants it.

I would let her buy it. My wife wanted an Ed Brown even though I told her that she was more than welcome to use my Colts. She wanted the E.B. and she paid for it with her own money.

Keep your powder dry.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
If she has smallish hands have her try out a S/A EMP in 9mm. Bet she likes the EMP better than the Kimber. The grip frame is smaller and better suited for smaller hands, plus S/A has a lifetime warranty where Kimber is one year. I would assist her in making a choice, but firearms purchases should be made by the future owner, that way they can't blame you if they don't like it latter.LOL

·
Banned
462 Posts
You could buy the gun for yourself and tell her she can shoot it whenever she wants.

If you end up getting married it then becomes "her gun".

If she ends up splittin' which is what most likely will occur at some point in time...you still have a decent 9. If you don't want to keep it just sell it and recoup some of your lossess...

VR,
Harold

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
You could buy the gun for yourself and tell her she can shoot it whenever she wants.

If she ends up splittin' which is what most likely will occur at some point in time...you still have a decent 9. If you don't want to keep it just sell it and recoup some of your lossess...

VR,
Harold
+1 That's exactly what I would do in this situation .

·
Registered
27,694 Posts

VR,
Harold
Very good idea.

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
G/F: she can buy her own gun.

wife: buy her a present if you can afford it.
+1

Get her a box of ammo to with it though ;)

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Only buy what you wouldn't mind seeing her new boyfriend shooting at the range:biglaugh:

Seriously, 51% of today's marriages fail and I'd be hesitant to buy a "girlfriend" an expensive carry piece (or anything else exspensive). If I had to buy a GF a carry piece it'd be a used .38 snubby. You can find em at gunshows for about $250, respectable rnd and it won't break the bank in a loss.

Another idea: My wife is a co-carrier of all my weapons by having notarized permission she can carry/add to her permit all of my weapons. You can do the same while keeping sole ownership.

Guns protect your A$$ and you protect your A$$ETS!

IMO $900 for a 9mm handgun is pretty pricey, be it Kimber, Springfield or whatever.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Yet I honored her request and changed out her kitchen faucet a week ago, she's still thanking me and raving about it!!!! A DAMN FAUCET!!!

John
Aaah, the old kitchen faucet trick -- works for them everytime!:biglaugh:

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
Make sure she'll actually shoot it and this isn't a passing fad. In other words, wait a month or two and see if she continues to go shooting with her.

I was in the same dilemma and ended up buying my tiny wife a .22 GSG5 and a Springfield EMP. The EMP needs to be sent off now for faulty machine work that should never have left the factory but it's a fun, accurate little gun. The GSG5 is a hoot.

·
Registered
4,837 Posts

VR,
Harold

Two things wrong with that... the end up getting married part :biglaugh:
and she can still split after that.

·
Registered
115 Posts
if she's serious, let her buy it, otherwise, she can shoot the cz. If i was married to her, different deal. Women can be very fickle, $900. Is a lot of money in this economy to impress her with.

+100!

·
Registered
2 Posts
That is pricey why does she not just use the cz in your collection that was working for her?

Actually you can't buy a pistol for someone else aka straw purchase but you can purchase it for yourself and let her shoot it.

·
Banned
462 Posts
Two things wrong with that... the end up getting married part :biglaugh:
and she can still split after that.
Point one...well taken.

Two...moot point...He'll have to sell all of his guns to pay a lawyer to help him not lose his ass....:biglaugh:

VR,
Harold

·
Registered
73 Posts
I replaced her gun, with a M&P 40 Compact with factory Trijidon night sites, and lever safety. (per her request) Went through HELL finding that rare grouping of options! And 6 months later, she has yet to fire it!!! Yet I honored her request and changed out her kitchen faucet a week ago, she's still thanking me and raving about it!!!! A DAMN FAUCET!!!
ROFLMAO!!

You don't understand women very well, do you?:biglaugh:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts