1911Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Premium Member
10,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those that are interested there is a "Breaking News" article on the Ohioans For Concealed Carry website front page:

BREAKING NEWS: Belmont County Sheriff Demanding Annual Verification

http://www.ofcc.net

You may be interested to know that it was I that contacted OFCC this am and faxed them a copy of the letter I received which is also shown in the article. If you are a Ohio CCW, you need to read this. Even more so, if you are a resident of Belmont Co., you need to advise OFCC if you have received the same letter. If anyone in another county has received something to that effect, you also need to contact OFCC with that info.
Thank you.

Take care,
Art

· Premium Member
10,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

· Registered
1,002 Posts
Sounds like the sheriff is not going to respond to questions that question his authority and that he is trying to make his own rules. :hrm:

He should be fired and be replaced with someone who can follow the law.

Luke

· Premium Member
10,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rhino465 said:
I'm not implying that any of this acceptable, but from reading the letter I got the impression that the motive might be related to the license being used in lieu of instant background checks. I'm not sure why, but it just occurred to me when I read it. I could be way, way wrong.
Nope, not the case. Ohio does not allow the license in lieu of an instant NCIC's check. Still have to go through the regular checks and 4473.

Thanks,
Art

· Registered
1,471 Posts
It sounds like the criminals are trying to sieze guns from lawful citizens.

· Registered
3,037 Posts
lscurrier said:
Sounds like the sheriff is not going to respond to questions that question his authority and that he is trying to make his own rules. :hrm:

He should be fired and be replaced with someone who can follow the law.

Luke
Impossible. Couldn't have happened. Must be some troublemaker who is signing the Sheriff's name to those letters.

I know that for sure because every law enforcement officer I've ever met who has been reproached for enforcing a bad law has said "I don't make the laws. I just enforce them." So I refuse to believe that this Sheriff or any other law enforcement officer would exceed what the law allows. If there were such a Sheriff or law enforcement officer I know that there were be actions for misfeasance and malfeasance, including actions to remove that person from office and for civil and criminal penalties. Of course I think that justice should be tempered by mercy, so I wouldn't expect more than severe financial penalties, prison time, loss of retirement, and felony status so that the former law enforcement officer would not be permitted to purchase or possess a firearm anywhere. Nothing excessive.

· Premium Member
10,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What I think has happened is that someone in the Sheriff's office took it upon themselves to try and make their LEADS/NCIC audit easier and thought that this would be that way to do it. What got me was the total lack of reasoning I received when I contacted them. "Just send it in" is not an answer and I believe that on Monday or Tuesday it will be resolved. I sure want to thank Jeff Garvas, President of the OFCC for jumping on this and he has stayed in contact with me.
I am ashamed to say that I was not a member of OFCC before this but I did join and buy a membership yesterday. How could I not?

Thanks all and I will keep you advised.
Art

· Registered
3,037 Posts
Noklue3 said:
What I think has happened is that someone in the Sheriff's office took it upon themselves to try and make their LEADS/NCIC audit easier and thought that this would be that way to do it. What got me was the total lack of reasoning I received when I contacted them. "Just send it in" is not an answer and I believe that on Monday or Tuesday it will be resolved. I sure want to thank Jeff Garvas, President of the OFCC for jumping on this and he has stayed in contact with me.
I am ashamed to say that I was not a member of OFCC before this but I did join and buy a membership yesterday. How could I not?

Thanks all and I will keep you advised.
Art
The explanation sounds reasonable, Art. If that's so I'd modify my suggestion by adding that the Sheriff should be given a jolly sendoff on his journey to the penitentiary and bankruptcy so he understands that there are no hard feelings from the people who suffer from his staff's abuse of the office he holds. His successor might want to explain to his new staff that they have responsibilities to the public and ought to bend over backwards multiple times before they risk abusing them. Perhaps the Sheriff could get work in New Orleans trying to find Patricia Konie, who was forced out of her home by the zealousness of Chief Compass. Maybe those two will strike up a lasting friendship based on their similar attitudes towards law enforcement.

· Registered
1,848 Posts
Keep us posted. I would love to see someone, anyone take a fall over this.

BTW. Did your revisions to the car carry get introduced yet?

· Premium Member
10,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Update 10-3-05

I received this from Jeff a short time ago:

I thought you might get a kick out of this Art. Biggest website story in quite
a few weeks :)

-Jeff Garvas

TODAY! OFCC's Jeff Garvas on NRA News

Jeff Garvas, president of Ohioans For Concealed Carry, will be a guest on NRA
News, Monday, October 3rd at 4:40 p.m. Eastern. You can watch/listen to the
broadcast at:

http://www.nranews.com

OR,

on Sirius Satellite Radio Patriot 144

Garvas will be discussing the Belmont County Sheriff's Office demanding annual
address verifications by letter we covered last Friday, and other Ohio news,
with this national audience.

Belmont County Sheriff Demanding Annual Verification
http://www.ohioccw.org/article3402.html

Upon passage of campaign finance "reform" laws, the NRA and other pro-gun groups
were forbidden from responding to the anti-gun bias that exists on major news
networks. NRA News was implemented as part of the solution. But with the
election behind us, the work is far from done. NRANews.com is a great site and
a source for information you will not find anywhere else.

Please tune in for Garvas's discussion.

I tried to hear it and that part of the show had tech problems and his interview was not able to get sound.... :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts