1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Governor is taking a poll on conceal carry bill veto. You do not have to give your home state. It is my understanding they are tallying only raw numbers. Please call. The number is 1-614-466-3555

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Keep calling everybody. We are so close, but it could also be dead very soon too, as Taft is threatening a veto.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Call from every phone you have access to. I don't know if they tally phone numbers, but I call from cell's, work, home, etc...

Also, call your Senator just as often. They need to be emboldened so that they can override Taft's likely veto. I understand they are very close on votes. (not enough, currently)

·
Registered
414 Posts
(My parents live in Ohio so I'm following this!)

But doesn't the current bill still include the provision that you aren't allowed to carry concealed in your own cars? If you have to remove your gun each time you get in the car and put it in a locked container or on the car seat in plain view, what's that going to do to safety? The more times you take it off and put it back on, the more likely something bad will happen. Is Lilly the Soccer Mom supposed to take her gun off and put it openly on the seat when she is driving five kids around? Is it a good thing if people can look down inside your car and see a gun? But if you lock it up then you don't have ready access if something bad happens when you are at the wheel.

What will end up happening is that a solid majority will get disgusted and just keep carrying when they are driving. And some small percentage of those will be "found out" each year and go to jail, lose their rights to carry a gun, etc. It's like lowering the speed limit to 55, you just know a heck of a lot of otherwise law abiding citizens are going to ignore it. Do you really want to set people up that way?

If those provisions are still in, I would vote against it and fight for something that looks like the CCW laws in other states. Once you have a CCW law in place, you won't be able to easily get it "made simpler."

Gregg

·
Registered
249 Posts
Please help. We need to get enough pressure on Governor Taft so he does not go through with his threatened veto. We are so close.

·
Registered
220 Posts
SNARL!

It is his office phone, and just got a message!
Guess that I will try from work tomorrow.

I am getting tired of waiting on this bill!!

Jamie

Bet that the 270 sniper (oh, I'm sorry, we are using the more friendly 'shooter' label) would think twice if we could shoot back!!!

·
Registered
523 Posts
The "in-car" situation is still not perfect. It requires "open-carry" or a locked box. I believe a locked glove-box counts. But, simply pulling your shirt up to expose the weaopn would satisfy that requirement, so it's much better than it was. No more "lock box" with kids in th car.

·
Registered
414 Posts
It requires "open-carry" or a locked box.
Ahhh, sounds like my orginal comment was correct. Even if you have a permit, you still aren't allowed to carry concealed in your car. Name one other state that has "shall issue" permits that has that rule!

I know the frustration of just wanting them to pass something but it sounds like it would be a daily aggravation. And you know it wasn't the rank and file Ohio Highway Patrol that wanted no concealed carry in a car. It was the OHP leadership that has their nose firmly up some politician's buttocks.

Gregg

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
I called Taft's Office on 12/12 and will again. I'm confused on carrying in a car too. I do hope it's been changed from open carry or a locked box when you are in your car to being able to conceal carry in your car. If not we can hope to get it changed in the future. I have never heard of this in any other state and I'm just paranoid enough to wonder what this is about. Is tulsamal correct in his assumtion that it's just a way to set us up?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Based on the compromise, in a car you have to carry it in a holster, on your person, and openly displayed.

Go to OhioCCW.org for more information.

·
Registered
550 Posts
i called and got a message as well. will call back on tuesday. man i really hope this bill becomes law. it will be nice and crooks will have to think real hard about mugging that little old lady!! i really think ohio needs this to happen.

fingers crossed and praying!!

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Almost every single newspaper editorial I've read has been against it, saying that it doesn't provide "oversight of concealed carry by the press". What is THAT all about?! Who are they to oversee the concealed carry laws?! :confused: :rolleyes: :mad:

Let's keep calling and keep the pressure on. We need to get this thing through! And Ohioans, call your Senators too. If Taft vetos it we need to try to override it. The votes in the Senate are tight.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I have been calling since last week. It is better than the last one but not by much.
The part about the press and oversight is a provision that after all of the governors demands were met het then sprung that one on them telling them that if he didn't get it, he would veto it. He wanted to press to be able to get the names of permit holders anytime they want and for any reason they want. Under the proposal they can get the name but they have to fill out forms and such to state why they need access to the name. The gov wanted them to be able to get ALL names in whatever county they wanted. Taft is a first class PUKE.

Nala

·
Registered
550 Posts
Nalapombu said:
Taft is a first class PUKE.

Nala [/B]
hey i am not going to argue with you on that...:biglaugh: oh so true!! raises the rates on just about every form of tax and then hides behind the state troopers,chief's of the ohio police departments and the sheriff department as well....first class puke sums it up real good!!!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Please call your Senator and tell them you want them to override Taft. A veto is looking more and more likely. There is also talk of a "compromise" now, where lists of CCW holders will be available to the public. Taft is a double puke and I am going to call him again first thing tomorrow. (Like I do every day, from every different phone number/line I have access to). If you need help finding your Senator, e-mail me and I'll help you look them up.
[email protected] or PM me on this forum. Mike

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am going to be really pissed if they cave in to him the Snagletooth pantywaste. If they do cave in to the licence holders being public it will not be worthwhile to get the permit. The Bill is already to prohibitive and reads like a crap house Hell why not just have us also drop our pants too and let Taft personaly print that too.!!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I hope they dont cave in to the Snagletooth pantywaste. If we have to be public it will not be worth having the licence. How many other states have the list public viewing?---TAFT SUCKS

1 - 18 of 18 Posts