1911Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4" barrel. Series II Pro. NIB price is $1049.00
First question is this a bit too high a price?
Seems i'm seeing them on "GunsAmerica" for
around $940.00? But then paying for shipping
would probably put me at $1030.00 anyway.
Sorry for the ramble.. Looking at 2 possible
new 45's. I like the mid size.. worried about
the "External Extractor" although heck Glock has
an External, and NOTHING is as reliable as Heir
Gastons creation. I want to carry this, so that's why
i'm attracted to the 4" commander size. Plus the
smokey dark SS and flat black oxide in the lower
areas makes for a great look. My first 1911 is a
Springfield Operator Mil spec. so i'm needing the
reliablility to be at least as high as the SA. Which
for the first 200 rds was perfect. (full rail Operator)
5" night sites)
So is the Eclipse pro in SS one of the best Kimbers?
Do i plunk out the $'s even though it's an External
Extractor? Like the salesman said, "about 80 thousand
other Kimbers are out there firing, with External extractors
so the few problems are quite low"..
Your thoughts? Or should i go the CQD? Thanks!

· Registered
735 Posts
That does seem high! I am thinking less than 940.00 at my dealers local low price shop. I do like the gun but not for carry, not that I have carried it but the finish is to nice to rub in a holster on a daily basis. Not that it’s bad and most think it is cool to have a used look to their guns but I would hate to see that (eclipse) finish get abused.

As far as the external-ex my preference is to stay away from them in the Kimbers. I like the internal-ex and look for and buy that way but that's just my preference. I do think however that Kimber has finally worked out the issues with them. I just don't want to take the chance on it until I am 100% convinced they have fixed the problem. Others will say it is under warranty and Kimber will replace it, I just don't want to go through the potential hassle with it. What was wrong with the Internal-ex mine works fine.

But all in all I do like the eclipse and think that it is a fine gun! :)

· Registered
757 Posts
I've only ever had problems with my 3" Kimber, and that was fixed - never a hitch with eithe rof my 4" Kimbers - Raptor and CDP. The Eclipse should be a fine shooter, but if you want tit to look immaculate, but the CDP as it will weather much more gracefully that the Eclipse.

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You were right...i found it at another place for $930.00 but...

Custom-guy said:
That does seem high! I am thinking less than 940.00 at my dealers local low price shop. I do like the gun but not for carry, not that I have carried it but the finish is to nice to rub in a holster on a daily basis. Not that it’s bad and most think it is cool to have a used look to their guns but I would hate to see that (eclipse) finish get abused.

As far as the external-ex my preference is to stay away from them in the Kimbers. I like the internal-ex and look for and buy that way but that's just my preference. I do think however that Kimber has finally worked out the issues with them. I just don't want to take the chance on it until I am 100% convinced they have fixed the problem. Others will say it is under warranty and Kimber will replace it, I just don't want to go through the potential hassle with it. What was wrong with the Internal-ex mine works fine.

But all in all I do like the eclipse and think that it is a fine gun! :)
I have some troubling news. One of the largest
Kimber dealers in Arizona told me today..."steer clear
of the Ext. Extractors!"..."We have had allot of them
returned, and Kimber isn't being very helpful with the
repairs.".. His quote not mine. So maybe all the
fuss about the External Extractor issues are NOT just
the Internet complainers? I'm more confused than
ever now, because i picked up an Ed Brown today!
$2500.00...but Oh, my GOD! It sure seemed that
twice the $'s gets you 3 times the gun. :))

· Registered
735 Posts
Big Boppa said:
Nice pick up Big Poppa! You can't go wrong with a Brown. What Ed Brown model did you get for 2,500 bones?

· Registered
90 Posts
Big Boppa said:

I think Kimber would be more than interested to find out one of their largest dealers is trashing them. Hmmm, maybe they do now. Let me guess, he is the lowest price dealer, which makes him the largest. I think your dealer ought to bring himself up to speed, it seems Kimber's got that problem licked for some time now, and I have heard nothing but good about Kimber's service. Maybe you ought to find yourself a more informed dealer.

As for me, I purchased a Stainless TLE II and haven't looked back. I hit a turtle shell at 100 yards with it yesterday, it literally exploded on impact. Looked pretty cool. The gun has been flawless so far

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats good to hear... this was just one of the salesmen..but

palmdan said:
I think Kimber would be more than interested to find out one of their largest dealers is trashing them. Hmmm, maybe they do now. Let me guess, he is the lowest price dealer, which makes him the largest. I think your dealer ought to bring himself up to speed, it seems Kimber's got that problem licked for some time now, and I have heard nothing but good about Kimber's service. Maybe you ought to find yourself a more informed dealer.

As for me, I purchased a Stainless TLE II and haven't looked back. I hit a turtle shell at 100 yards with it yesterday, it literally exploded on impact. Looked pretty cool. The gun has been flawless so far
But he must have heard it from someone inside
this store? Seems pretty "current" to me, or else
why would he talk about problems from 18 months ago?

· Registered
735 Posts

My take on it is that he is a SALESMAN first and wanted to sell the Brown and not the low priced Kimber if he could. And if he is a large dealer he probably see's his fair share of bad Kimber ex-ex the last two years and is most likely frustrated that all of his customers are comming back pissed off.

My preferance is in-ex, I have two Kimbers now both with in-ex but both are used and not new but are both in 99% condition and both were traded in for new Kimbers. No problem, I will take them off there hands. I think eventually I will warm up to the ex-ex but not until the reliability reports are better more often and it seems as if the reports have started to turn around for the better latley. The full size models seem to be the best ones to pick up like your TLE II.

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, i haven't pulled the trigger yet... $2500.00 is

Custom-guy said:
Nice pick up Big Poppa! You can't go wrong with a Brown. What Ed Brown model did you get for 2,500 bones?
Allot o' bones for a 1911! I'll be lucky if i spend
$1400.00 on a TRP. I thought i was nuts spending
$800.00 on my Loaded Full rail. :))

· Registered
3 Posts
Had my Eclipse Pro 3 weeks and tommorow will top 1000rds. Never had a single problem with it. I paid $945 for it and one the best deals I made. I was concerned over the finish but its holding up great. I do not carry it ( live in NJ) but thought of that once I finally leave for CO once I find work out there. For price tag, you can't go wrong. My second choice was a TRP but $ was an issue. Let us know your purchase..

· Registered
735 Posts

I gotcha now I was assuming that by picking it up you ment buying it. Again what model is that for 2,500?

· Registered
58 Posts
Eclipse for carry

I have a Eclipse Custom II and a Tactical Ultra II. Both have external extractors and have preformed flawless. NO COMPLAINTS AT ALL!!! As far as which one to carry, I prefer the Tactical UltraII. It is much lighter and has a shorter grip that is easier to hide under a shirt. I removed the beveled magazine well and replaced the mainspring housing with a shorter one. This makes the grip 4.75 in and I like it better. The beveled mag well is for fast reloading. I figure for a concealed carry, if 7 shots doesn't do the job - it's time to run!

· Registered
119 Posts
I have three Kimbers with external extractors, including an Eclispe Target II and I've never had any problems with them. I have noticed that the brass ejection is more consistant with the externals than with the one Kimber I own with the traditional extractor. I think the new models as well as the older ones are great weapons and I plan on buying a Super Match as soon as I can come up with the cash! :cool:

· Registered
735 Posts
That is great news! but it is no secret that the Kimber ex-extractors had many issues with there introduction of them. I do however think that the issues have been resolved, but I would only buy a new model with the ex-extractor. I do agree that the brass does come out more consistant with the ex but to me I'd rather have the consistant ejection and I am glad to hear that the externals are working well. I just have a problem buying a used Kimber with an ex in it ( don't know what your gonna get) or why it was traded, I would much rather find an int just for piece of mind for me. :)

Big Boppa Don't sweat the Ed Brown model! seems you are never going to answer the question anyway! and it really doesn't matter, all the Brown models are good.

Good luck on your decision. :)

Over and out!!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.