1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am pretty set that my next 1911 will (finally) be a SW and have narrowed it down to these two. Got the chance to handle both and found that it was more difficult to make the decision than I thought. Of these two, which would you choose? Cost is approximately the same with the 108284 being about $30 more.

The 108284 is stainless, which was what I was looking for originally and leaning towards, but all the small parts appear to be blued and comes with a FLGR that I'd have to replace (meaning more money later).

The 108299 already has the standard GI guide that I like and seem to be ever so slightly better fitted. Also the walnut grips seem to be more handsome.

Other than that, both appear to be fine quality pieces. So, help me spend $900. Your opinions are appreciated. :)

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
I would choose the stainless model ..... um... for obvious reasons ... :rock: Mine has been perfect ! Best quality 1911 under $1000.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Get the '299. The small parts on the stainless guns are in fact blued. It's not a bad look....I've got one, but it was too good of a deal to pass up. Now I'm wanting to replace the guide rod and plug, to get rid of the full length rod.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts

I absolutely love my 108284. I t does not look or handle like a $900.00 gun. I love the stainless model. It is very accurate and feels great in my hand! Go for it.

·
Registered
834 Posts
The SS 108284 will be more durable and will require less maintenance over the long run. Any nicks, dings, or holster wear can be polished out if need be. IMHO there's no reason to replace the full length guide rod.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Am pretty set that my next 1911 will (finally) be a SW and have narrowed it down to these two. Got the chance to handle both and found that it was more difficult to make the decision than I thought. Of these two, which would you choose? Cost is approximately the same with the 108284 being about $30 more.

The 108284 is stainless, which was what I was looking for originally and leaning towards, but all the small parts appear to be blued and comes with a FLGR that I'd have to replace (meaning more money later).

The 108299 already has the standard GI guide that I like and seem to be ever so slightly better fitted. Also the walnut grips seem to be more handsome.

Other than that, both appear to be fine quality pieces. So, help me spend $900. Your opinions are appreciated. :)
I actually came down to the same two pistols as you did. I went with the 284 since it would require less maintenance. Very nice pistol shoots great!

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you one and all. It took me a little while as a few things came up that distracted me, but I finally went a head with it today.

Decision: 108284 it is. Probably overpaid for it since it's MA, but what can you do?

·
Premium Member
7,725 Posts
Glad to see the Forum help you make up your mine on which S&W to buy. Looking forward to your first range report with and the pics of the range time.

Clyde

·
Premium Member
9,610 Posts
congrats...enjoy.
S&W1911s are fine shooters...one of the few production 1911s on the market that would run very close to 100% out of the box IMO.:)

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
I`d be willing to bet you won`t be sorry with your choice. I love my 284!! It has been flawless since the day I got it nearly 3 years ago. It will eat anything I feed it, even empty casings.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Congrats on your new purchase. I hope that you are as happy with it as I am with mine! I would like to know what you paid. Mine was $969.00 out the door. Did you have any trouble finding it in stock? I had to look pretty hard to find mine. Give us a range report as soon as you get to the range. Don't forget to clean and lube brfore you fire it. I got a lot of orange crud out of mine before I fired it. I think it was some kind of cosmaline protectant.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
With tax, it cost me $971.61 total. I've got some explaining to do to the wife later. :) This does not include the additional $50 store credit that came with it as well. Used that to pick up a few boxes of ammo.

The gun was a little dirty from factory firing, but it wasn't bad. Definitely needed some lubing as it felt a bit dry.

Fit and finish was excellent. No apparent tool marks on the exterior and very minimal on the interior. Trigger pull is very crisp. Much more crisper than the display gun I handled and even better than my Colt Gold Cup. If there's any concern, the small parts (i.e. slide stop, thumb safties, etc..) seem to be MIM. Not that I have any strong aversion to MIM, just that I thought these were barstock or casted.

I really want to try and keep this gun stock and not get tweak happy like with most 1911s I've owned, but I'm just not crazy about the FLGR. I may replace that later as I don't have any SS recoil spring plugs handy, although I do have several standard length guide rods laying around. Maybe swapping out the flat MSH with an arched one while I'm at it.

Anyway, can't wait to wring this out at the range tomorrow. God help me if they ever come out with the same gun in 10mm.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Yeah mine left me with some splaining to do too! The good news was when I went to pick it up not only did she like it but they showed her a Wilson cqb while we were there she loved that. I can't justify the money for one of them but I am happy with my S&W. I like it better than my Kimber Tactical Pro II. That is all the 1911's I own right now. I picked the S&W over the Colt gold cup so I was happy to hear that you are more impressed with it than the Colt!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Congrats!!! I've been happy with mine...accurate and reliable, right out of the box.

Be sure to come back and post some dirty pics, along with the range report :biglaugh:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts