1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought somewhere I read that on a 1911 design pistol that to pull the hammer back to cock it is a no no.. I am not talking about lowering the hammer only cocking it.. I notice many people that look at a 1911 rack th slide check that it is empty theen dry fire it.. then instead of racking the slide again they simply pull the hammer back serveral times to "test" the trigger pull, etc.

I sure thought or at least assumed that doing this somehow was not good for the 1911..
An I wrong??

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Cocking it is fine. Dry firing is fine. Letting slide slam home empty is not.

At least that is the general concensus of most people I think. Some of course may disagree with some things.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The slide is performing the same physical function that your thumb is I dont see how it would be damaging. I think the problem is for those that want to carry the gun with a round in the chamber with the hammer down and them thumb cock when needed. That is a definite no-no on guns without a firing pin safety. If you drop the gun it will fire.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Maybe if a person is looking at that particular 1911 for the
first time( like in a store) they want to also feel the slide.
When I dry fire I cock the hammer with my thumb with no
damage so far.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
bernieb90 said:
I think the problem is for those that want to carry the gun with a round in the chamber with the hammer down and them thumb cock when needed. That is a definite no-no on guns without a firing pin safety.
It's a definite no-no even if it has a "firing pin safety" - also known as Series 80 components.

Never carry with hammer down and a loaded chamber. Never. Ever.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
They sure as heck do this on TV all the time.

That is, point the gun at somebody for a looong time, and then make a final threat, and then cock the hammer.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
There is some misunderstanding about the firing pin safety. The regular 1911 type pistol has an inertia firing pin. That means that the firing pin is shorter than the firing pin tunnel. If the hammer is down on a loaded chamber, and the gun is dropped on the hammer, it will not fire. Some guns will, but the 1911 will not.

The firing pin block or firing pin safety is designed to prevent the 1911 type pistol from firing if it is dropped on the muzzle. It is a very rare condition where that would happen, but if the gun has no firing pin safety, and if the drop is far enough, the gun can stop while the firing pin moves forward to fire the chambered round. This can happen whether the safeties (manual and grip) are engaged or not, and regardless of the position of the hammer.

It is my understanding that this never happened in the "real world" but only in tests specifically intended to show that the 1911 is unsafe and should be banned from sale.

Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts