1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
23,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let us say that you know that you are going into harms way for an extended period of time. You may or may not have adequate resupply in terms of everything. You may or may not have to move around quite a bit. Weight may or may not be a concern.

But given these circumstances. You can only choose one handgun to take with you. However, unlike the other numerous threads of this ilk. The gun that you choose for this scenario has to be a revolver. So my friends, in this given scenario what will it be for you? I am starting this thread, so I feel compelled to state my choice at this time.

After some consideration, what I am thinking that I will be best served by in this scenario is my S&W model 28 with a four inch barrel. I am thinking this for a number of reasons. I have a number of S&W revolvers from .22 rimfire up to .44 Remington Magnum. My biggest question is whether or not I should forgo the model 28 for the stainless model 66 that I also have. I have some thoughts on this. However I will let this go with what I have stated so far until I see where this thread goes.

This of course assumes that the thread actually goes anywhere.

·
Registered
942 Posts
My choice would be either a 3" or 4" GP100. Both are a good compromise in size and weight for both hunting and self-protection. I have to shoot my 3" some more to check sight regulation. Stainless steel and easy to field strip if it gets dunked in water.

My second choice would be a Ruger Single Six in .22 LR.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Extended period of time.
MyTaurus 22 mag 22lr 4 inch revolver
Will pack a pot load of ammo 22 mag and 22lr will do it all.
Effective against people ..a imals also

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I'm currently revolverless. :bawling:

The S&W 686 Plus Pro Series with the tapered under-lug is on my short list. I just love the looks of a 5" barrel, and it is simply a fine looking revolver, and I like the .357 caliber. That would be my choice. One of these days I'll buy one. The problem is every time I have some revolver money saved up I end up seeing a semi-auto I want more.

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
I own more .44 Mag and Spl. ammo than the other revolver calibers. So, I will go with one of my 29's. I collect them also which gives me a good selection.

·
Registered
159 Posts
You didn't specify If It had too come from our personal collection or not, If It does I'm kinda screwed all I have In a revolver Is a 20 year old Taurus stainless 2"barrel M85 38spl. It's not bad I've been smoothing up the Internals put In a lighter trigger return spring It has a nice double action pull now but, come on It's a snub nose 38......I am so dead.

·
Registered
521 Posts
My 4 inch model 66 has been my revolver standby weapon for about 25 years now.
Second choice would be my single six in 22 magnum.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Since resupply & moving can be an issue I'd opt for a .22. Will work for food and self protection. And you can haul a lot of it.(Of course you still have to find a store stocking it):)

·
Registered
874 Posts
Any quality 4" .357 would work for me. I could maybe take a deer that walks up one me. I doubt I'm dropping moving squirrels at 25 yards with a .22LR revolver anyhow. So, revolver for larger game and bad guys, trapping for little game and spearing fish in Minnesota lakes. If there is that little ammo I can carry, I need a backup to shooting game anyhow.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have several revolvers, in the usual calibers. In this scenario I would take one of my 66 2 1/2" k frames. The .357 can be loaded from very light to rocket speeds, along with shotshell loads. The stainless finish offers better corrosion resistance, and the 2 1/2" barrel conceals better for me than a 4" barrel. I do not feel the shorter barrel detracts from practical accuracy at reasonable pistol ranges, maybe a better shot would be able to get more out of a 4" but for me it's not a difference. I have both semi-auto and revolvers that I have acquired over the years, and my brace of 2 1/2 66's is on the " I'll never sell" shelf, right next to the 629 mountain gun, Ruger vaqueros,and Wilson combat CQB. Just my .02.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Only one serious choice. 4" S&W model 19 (or 66 if you want to be more visible....I don't).

·
Registered
752 Posts
The only one I have; a S&W 586. Between .38 spl and .357, hunting and defense are taken care of...

·
Banned
117 Posts
The one that's best for getting a better gun. Probably a 357 or 44mag with a long barrel and excellent sights so I can get the guy with the better gun from a distance. The old man has/had a 44 mag with IIRC a 9" barrel I shot well when I was young and we did silhouette competition, I guess that. Don't remember the model, IIRC it had a loading door instead of a swing out cylinder.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts