1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got off the phone with Brian at Powder Valley and he called to ask if I still wanted to order CCI APS primers. I usually order between 25,000 and 50,000 primers at a whack to get a good price and CCI threw a wingy at us.

CCI primers in APS strips are now a "special order" option from CCI. Also the price per box of 1000 is about $2.00 over the price without the APS strips. Brian called CCI and was told that the APS strips are not moving so they are going to charge more for them. Brian also "suggested" that I start collecting my strips because they "may be" discontinued in the future. I did order another 25,000 primers, but heck that is an extra $50 for the pre-loaded APS strips.

When I bought my pro-2000 the APS strips were advertised at the same price as normal primers so it was not a big deal, but now 3 years later they are charging an extra $2.00 per thousand.

THIS REALLY REALLY STINKS!!

Tomorrow I will call both CCI and RCBS and ask what the heck are they thinking?

First they promote and push the APS system and now they charge more for it and may in the future discontinue it. Great just what I want to hear for my pro-2000.

I guess I should have bought a dillon 650 instead.......

So to fellow APS users, what should we do? Email/letter/phone initiative????

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the loader, and I kept all of my strips in a large garbage can.

My irritation is that they are charging more for a product that is only available from them and without it makes my press less useful and desireable.

I realize that is their right as a business but it is my right to complain about it prior to finding a new manufacturer that likes to keep its customers.

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
I guess that's the risk you take as a company when you decide to go out on a limb with a whole new product like the APS system.

I had a feeling something like this would eventually happen with that product. Reloaders by definition tend to be a miserly bunch, and charging extra for a more convenient expendable component was probably not the best marketing strategy.

Filling the strips with your own primers sort of negates the convenience of using the system, since most people try to maximize efficiency when reloading.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Extra Charge for CCI APS...

Thanks for the info. I haven’t experienced any increase in cost as of yet (I'm awaiting an order of CCI Large Pistol APS). I’ll keep my eyes on it for I’ll load my own strips before I’ll pay extra. I just switched over to the RCBS Pro 2000 several months ago (APS was a plus in my selection process). I’ve loaded about 5K .45s and a thousand .38s using Remington primers and the APS loader.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I use the APS for rifle only. The pre-loaded primers are getting hard to find. The last time that I saw them was last March at Cabela's in Kansas City.

They were still the same price as regular CCI primer. I will be up there again on the 5th of December and I guess I will have to check them out.

·
Registered
949 Posts
CCI APS Primers

Yep, the price for pre-loaded primers has gone up. I paid 2$ more per thousand. I need new strips so figured I'd get a box.

·
Registered
174 Posts
RCBS and CCI

yep,
You definently should have bought the dillon. Just my two cents worth.:( ;)
dirtyharry

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So far my complaints have gone no where. I have a large stockpile of primer strips. When they get worn out I will have to evaluate a different loader.

If I had to do it today, I would go dillon 1050 and just spend the money to do it right.

I still like my pro2000, just don't like how they handled the aps issue.

·
Super Moderator
7,638 Posts
Peter M. Eick said:

If I had to do it today, I would go dillon 1050 and just spend the money to do it right.

Save up and just cry once. Its easier and less costly in the long run.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I still like my pro2000, just don't like how they handled the aps issue.

Why change loaders over the APS issue? I find it easier to use and monitor than any other primer system. I figure a couple of bucks every 20 to 30K rounds isn’t even an issue.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I really like the aps, but if I had to change, I would go for more die holes. I like being able to seat separate from crimp and then finally and FCD die. Also I would like a powder checker die if possible. That is to many for the pro2000 so that is the reason for my choice.

·
Registered
949 Posts
...more die holes...

I agree on that! I also like a separate crimp die from the seating die. I use a Lee crimp that also resizes. Therefore, I can either skip the belling die or the powder checker. I load almost exclusively cast bullets and need the bell to avoid lead shaving. I use both beveled base and flat based bullets. That means no powder checker.

·
Registered
69 Posts
APS going away?

Sorry, I saw that coming the first time I saw their first press releases in the gun rags!

Wouldn't have touched that with a 10' lead pot ladle !!!

·
Registered
949 Posts
APS Going away?

I don't see it going away any time soon. However, there is a cost differential between CCI primers in the APS strips compared to regular packaging.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is the whole point. If you were trying to promote a product like APS, why charge more for it. It is a good system, but it is not $2/1000 better then a primer tube. Hence the whole point of my complaint!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't understand the big deal...

It's still faster to load 1000 primers into strips than it is to load them into tubes. And once you are loading, the APS system is extremely reliable and maintenance-free.

It's no longer quite as much of a win over primer tubes as it used to be, but it's still a significant improvement.

·
Registered
69 Posts
IMO:
Special order is one step from "Discontinued", especially the way CCI has been sold and traded.

I haven't used "Green presses and dies" or Blue Boxed primers in 20years.

(OK, I did by 25,000 CCI 500's in Sept. for $8.00/M. Who wouldn't have ?????)

(buddy is "route salesman" and son-in-law of a distributer who has discontinued reloading components; I bought them out at less than cost- no shipping, tax, or hazmat !!!!!)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts