1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally did it. I placed an order this morning with Midway USA for the Lee Turret press kit. I sat down and thought it out VERY carefully, and I doubt that I'll reload enough within the next two years to justify the purchase of the Turret press, and didn't even come close to justifying the Dillon 550. 5 years from now, it might be a different situation, and I can look into the Dillon. Went ahead and got the factory crimp die, hand primer and ordered 1000 rds of 230 grn ball from Precision. I figured I'd start out with what the 1911 was designed for before I got into the SWC. Besides, I'm going to load for my brother's Norinco. And I don't know if it can handle SWC loads. That will be next time. I'll swing by the gun shop and pick up some primers and Winchester Super Target or Hodgdon Universal Clays, and I should be set to go. So far I'm in for $200 for everything ordered.
Thanks everyone. I'll let you know how my first rounds shoot.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Good choice! As you mentioned, you can always step up to a progressive if the volumn you require is increased.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think you did the right thing. Start slow, cheap and justify more $ as you load more. It worked for me and I still have my original single stage press (BAIR). Loaded 100 45ACP on it yesterday. Will get the Dillon conversion parts for Xmas. Until then, I'll keep reloading 9mm on the Dillon and 45 on the single stage.
AND you are happy too with more $ in your pocket for other stuff !

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Quick tip--when setting your seating die, set it up with a factory 230 grain ball round. You'll have much smoother feeding this way.

------------------
"Be not afraid of any man, no matter what his size;

When trouble rises, call on me and I will equalize."

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I'm a little envious. I always enjoy any new adventure when it involves guns and shooting. Good luck and enjoy!

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
128 Posts
ScottsGT, let us know how the Lee Turret press works out for you. I've been debating on whether or not to get one, mainly because my single stage press still does the job, and I'm not a high-volume shooter (yet). I don't NEED another press at the moment, but when has need ever factored into a gun/gun accessory buying decision?
DAL

P.S. Did you get the one with the auto-indexing feature?

------------------

·
Registered
416 Posts
Welcome to the club! You made a great choice and will be happy. Yeah, buying a new rig can give one that warm and fuzzy feeling inside.

I have a turret for each caliber I reload: .223, .22-250, and .45.

Getting the factory crimp was a great idea. (factory crimp and collet dies are the best Lee products) You will be able to fill all four holes with dies and produce some good rounds.

Real quick,
230gr ball has OAL around 1.260.
Most hollow points OAL are around 1.24

·
Registered
93 Posts
Exactly what press did you get, ScottsGT? Is it hard to set up?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts