1911Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Later this month I'm going to class for my CWP, and I'm throwing around reasons to justify another gun purchase. I already have a .38 snub I coud carry, but why limit myself? I also own a Colt XSE Gvmt. model, and could not be happier. Thinking about a Chucky D ECS for a carry gun. One reason, If I have to use it, don't want the guys in blue taking away my Colt to possably never see it again.( I want to hand it down to my son ) Another reason is I want to do some mods, such as dehorning the slide like the Kimber compact. Cannot bring myself to doing this to a Colt. I keep seeing my kids as adults saying "Wish Dad never customized this Colt 50 years ago" I can appreciate this, since my Dad has his fathers 1st edition .45 Peacemaker still in new condition.
So I guess my question here is, what mods would you recommend to a ECS to defend your life with it? And would I void the warranty by dehorning the slide? Should I put 500 - 1000 rounds through it before any mods? One last question, what is the going "street price" for the ECS? Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Price is about $320 depending on where you are.

Does it really make sense to buy a cheap pistol to possibly defend your life with just to prevent having a Colt confiscated? How will you hand that Colt down to your son if you're dead?

For concealed carry, it's a safe bet to replace every single part(nearly all are cast except the barrel, frame, and slide)in a CD except maybe the grip safety, mag release, recoil spring plug, and barrel bushing. The extractor is a "must" for replacement, while the trigger is a "must" if you want to actually hit something.

The CDs that qualify as "good" are surprisingly accurate and seem to hold that accuracy for at least several thousand rounds. Make sure you examine any potential CD purchase (field stripping at a minimum) to make sure the breech face is smooth, no file marks are evident, and all the cast parts appear to in good shape. So far it appears the EFS models are a good value, although replacing the cast parts will make a Springfield a better deal.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, after looking at this one, I'm really thinking about the Springfield. Makes me sick to think about the XS (not XSE) commander I missed out on by "thinking about it" over the weekend. And only for $675.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts