1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To be truthful, I could have written a check for $1500 - $2000 and purchased a very nice, reiable .45. But, in my opinion, I would have missed out on alot.

Since, I am new to this line of handguns, I would rather start from the bottom end and work my way up, learning along the way.

Here's what I have to work with:

1) The finish is excellent, actually more than I expected, so I see no need for any re-finishing of any sort.

2) My main complaint is the mag-release. The mag fits so snugly that a free-fall is something that will probably never happen with this frame. BUT, not having to claw the mag out with my free hands fingernails would sure be nice!(Mags are new Springfield 8rnd)

3) The slide-release. Impossible to manipulate with one hand. After clawing out the empty mag and inserting a full one the slide must be pulled and released with my free hand to chamber the first round.

4) The grip safety. Out of the box there was some play and it actually rattled a little when the handgun was shaken. So, after I became familiar with field-stripping the handgun, I gently bent the leg of the leaf-spring up a little to put more pressure on the grip safety. Now, it seems to work properly...there is constant pressure on it keeping it in place, yet it is still easily depressed when the grip is squeezed. The down side is that the hammer will fall about about 80% of the time when the trigger is pulled and the grip safety IS NOT engaged. Did I do this by bending the spring or is it caused by something else?

I don't expect this model to function like a Hot-Rod, nor am I willing to invest $500 to make it, but I would enjoy shooting it without physical pain being involved while operating the basic conrols.

Finally, other than the above mentioned, this puppy is a pure joy to shoot and I look forward to many other 1911s in my future.

Sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
941 Posts
From Brownells order a Nowlin factory drop-in trigger job..$80.00...You get hammer, sear, disconnector, sear spring and main spring..From Wilsons order a drop in beavertail grip safety (you need this because the Nowlin hammer won't work with the stock grip safety)..$32.00...All of this will give you a very good trigger plus clear up your grip safety problems and eliminate hammer bite...Total = $112.00....

PS..You could order the Wilson grip safety from Brownells also but I happen to know that it is a back ordered item....

·
Registered
941 Posts
Sorry I forgot to address your other concerns...Many people cannot reach the slide release...It is quiet common to use the off hand to release it...You could get an extended slide release but I don't reccomend it...Looks out of place on a classy pistol...New mag release costs less than $20.00...That will probably solve your magazine release problems...BTW...I've got a Sistema...Neat pistols aren't they?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks CJ,

Thats the kind of info I'm looking for!

As for as the Sistema overall, your right. What more could you ask for than a $300 C&R 1911. So far all I have done was replace the factory plastic checker with a VERY nice Hogue finger-groove wraparound. That alone was a 100% improvement!

Generally speaking...should I be able to expect to operate a 1911s controls, i.e. a free-falling mag when the release is pressed and a smoother slide-release using only my firing hand or is it a common practice that the non-firing hand should come into play during these operations?

Thanks again

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Many shooters do a little flip of the pistol to get the mag release under their thumb. Left hand shooters can he the release with their forefinger, the same with the slide release. However, if the slide is locked back and a fresh magazine is in place, why not move the release with your off hand as you go back into your two handed grip?

There have been several reports about Sistemas having tight magazine wells. You may have to try several different magazines to find those that drop free and/or are seated without problems.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Your right, no improvements are necessary, the entire joy of shooting is getting an old, stock gun. Enjoy the gun, play with it, shoot it till it falls apart, which it won't. Then, after you've mastered the intricacies of your inexpensive but fine weapon, you can then buy that more expensive gun. Quality don't always mean better.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The only thing I've done to mine was to replace the cheap plastic stocks with a beautiful set of double diamond cocobola stocks off of ebay.

------------------

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice Doggie' until you can find a rock"

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is a very useful thread! T_Smith, I’d like to do basically the same thing you’re doing with that Sistema. Good luck!

------------------
When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Magazine will need to be replaced. That may fix your drop free problem. It's gonna rattle, as it was built to military tolerences. I'd leave it as is, just get new recoil/firing pin springs (good insurance) and better mags. To improve accuracy, buy a match barrel bushing from Kings and a drop-in trigger kit as CJ advised.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I would keep the gun as stock as possible. That said. Has the gun had a complete cleaning? Have all the parts been inspected? The mag drop free problem could be years of gunk slowing down the release. The whole area could just need a good degreasing. The mag release is not hard to get out of the frame yet it dose require a knowledge of the part. Understand that the mag release dose not have a screw in it, it is a rotating lock. As for the slide stop. If it moves freely without a load, no mag. Try operating with a few snap caps in the mag say five. Dose it move freely and load the weapon? If not fall back on clean the whole frame and its parts completely. Then relube the gun at the five critical points. All the directions for disassembly and cleaning can be found on this site. Ask the moderator if you need help. By the way. Over the years I have found that quality snapcapes, used in training, and a toothbrush kept handy are useful 1911 acceseries. Good luck and welcome. Teal Blue

[This message has been edited by Teal Blue (edited 10-12-2001).]

·
Registered
474 Posts
I got a Chip McCormick drop-in hammer & sear,disconnector,trigger,and a King's grip safety for mine.Helped it a lot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts