1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like I have heard endless stories of people buying DW's and getting them to run eventually, after sending them back. Are there people on here that have them that have had no problems, right out of the box? Lets hear those stories! I've been considering one for awhile, but my SA has been a gem right out of the box, and that'd ideally be what I am hoping for again. So lets hear any "mine's got 12,000 rounds through it and I've never had a problem" type stories out there...:D

·
Registered
560 Posts
Scubie

not sure your going to get to many of them here.. :)

If your SA is "great out of the box" then be happy dude, from what i've read across the board there are not to many 1911 frames / makes that DON'T have one problem or another that requires tweaking.

Some are more contentious then others though.

I like my Expert even with the few minor issue's i've had and have still to work out and i have not had to send it back... for the price i don't think your going to find a nicer platform..

good luck.

Jeff.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Scubie

Hunterjbb said:

If your SA is "great out of the box" then be happy dude
Oh, I'm happy as pie with my SA--no failures of any kind to date and a tackdriver--couldn't ask for better. But now I've gotten the 1911 bug and was thinking of getting a second (what if the first DOES go down at some point!?!). I'm of course tempted to get another SA, but have been tempted by the DW too, especially since its in a town 15 minutes from where I grew up and I can go look at them in person. I'd just like the best shot at getting another great gun out of the box--I realize that could not happen with any brand though. I just want to maximize the possibility...

·
Registered
8,648 Posts
OK, let's see.

Some time ago, I ordered 3 new Patriots, Model PTES. Sold 2, and kept 1. All 3 have functioned flawlessly since new. Admittedly, I installed lower front sights on all 3, but this was to allow the adjustable rear to sit low in the slide. My Patriot shoots 1.2" groups all day long, fired from a Ransom Rest at 25 yards. Easily the most accurate, sub-$1000 factory gun I own, and I have done nothing to it to enhance it's accuracy.

My shooter RZ-10 functions flawlessly, and shoots 0.9" groups at 25 yards from the Ransom Rest. The gun arrived with a test-group card showing a factory group which translates to 0.88" at 25 yards. The gun arrived with a slightly gritty trigger for my personal taste, but that's it.

Recently, I test-fired one of yotehunter's RZ's (S.N. 215, I believe) straight out of the box, against the new Kimber 10mm in the Ransom. The RZ was slightly more accurate overall (testing was admittedly limited), and functioned perfectly throughout the test, unlike the Kimber, which choked on PMC ammo.

I've had occasion to work on several DW's in the last 10 months or so. The biggest problem I've seen regards extractor tension, coupled with improperly fit extractors (someone there needs a good spanking on that problem... :eek: ). FWIW, many of the Colts, Kimbers, etc. which cross my bench exhibit extractors which show no tension from the factory.

Who's next?

Edited for p.p. spelling, as usual...

·
Registered
442 Posts
RZ 10 1 OF 150

I have one of the first 5 shiped of the RZ 10's. Ihave never had any problems, but did work on the trigger some. Itried to find a 9 mm but never could.

Would I buy another DW? Yes!

Hardball1911

·
Registered
281 Posts
RZ-42 had the now-infamous weak internal extractor when I got it. It would beat up the brass pretty good and it had a couple of FTE's in the first hundred rounds. A ten-minute check and adjust of extractor tension corrected those issues and operation has been 100% ever since.

The last range trip I noticed it wouldn't group and it seems to have an improperly fit fit bushing, but the bushing was always loose so the poor accuracy may just be me. I had some other issues that day, like a ND at the range in the general direction of the target but I wasn't quite in position yet so I'm calling it a ND, so it is not impossible that I just wasn't focused. I'll hit the range one more time to verify. If accuracy is still there, then the gun had no other issues than the extractor.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well I must be one of the few lucky one's.
I have about 3000 rounds of anything from 230gr FMJ to 185gr JHP and 200gr/185gr SWC through my SS Patriot without any problems.
I had night sights installed,a set of Alluma grips and I butter her up with some Slide Glide after every 2nd trip to the range.
I must say I think I'm due for a new sear spring as my trigger is not resetting as well as it should, o yea a new recoil spring would probably also help, seeing I have to replace the shock buff after every 200 to 300 rounds lately.
Matter of interest , all my ammo is reloads.
Joe M.

:D

·
Registered
280 Posts
RZ-133

The only problem I had with my RZ was the loose rear fixed sight. And that should have been a 30 second fix, but I stripped it and had to get a new one. Other than that, I've put about 1000 rounds thru it and have had exactly 3 FTFeeds because of a magazine that needed a tweak. About 500 of those rounds were my own semi-nuclear 800X powered handloads.

I am very happy with it. Not only would I buy another DW, I WILL buy another DW. The Patriot is calling my name, but I think I'm going to wait and see what comes out of the "surprises" Serva Claus is holding out on.

If I were to make an adjustment to the RZ, it would be to put a MSH on with a lanyard loop. Old habits die hard and I feel odd wearing my old GI issue shoulder holster without the lanyard. Unfortunately, I emailed DW about one and was told that they don't/won't make one.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Brand new to D.W.

Only 150 rounds through my brand new RZ-10. The first 50 were a headache (many FTF. I'm going to blame the PMC hollow points for now.). The next 100 (Rems and Federals) were smooth as silk. Fit and finish is the nicest I've seen on any gun I own.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Well my DW 722 worked fine out of the box. The DW MD-15 worked fine out of the rug (it was used). But the RZ need a loop up north to work right. My conclusion is that revolvers work out of the box and auto's need some assistance.

Now, when you get to the bottom line of it. The only guns that have ever been back to the factory that I owned were the RZ, walther PPK/s (2x), Colt Diamondback (out of time after at least 40,000 rnds) and the springfield P9Ultra (burned out a barrel with 135 grn screamers).

None of the SIG, Baer's, or S&W's have ever been in a shop.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have now got about 1800 rds through a Pointman Major - no problems other than a loose rear site in about the first 50 rds, that was an easy fix - especially if I had read the manual first.

·
Registered
168 Posts
DW Patriot? Out of the box? What a runner!
After about 1,000 rounds the only problems I have had relate to slow poke loads and those plated bullet thingys.
So, I sped up the bullet to about 725fps and lost the plated bullets. Now I can't get the gun out of my son's hand.

She just keeps getting better!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I also have a SS Patriot, my 1st 1911 however my 2nd DW(had one of the .357 revolvers that I never should have sold).
Could not be happier with it!!!! I have approx. 800 rounds through it(I don't get out much) without a single problem. The only thing that I have done is changed the grips to a pair of Hogue finger grip wrap arounds made out of Kingwood.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've got a blued Patriot Marksman with approx. 1,200 rounds through it. Never a single bobble. Way more accurate than I am.
I had to send my Razorback to D.W. once, but it's been 100% ever since. Couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My experience with DanWessons products has been excellent. I started with a Model 15-2 bought around 1978. Out of the box, no problems and I still own it and shoot it today. Same thing with both of the 1911's I more recently bought. First one was a Pointman HiCap the other a Major. I am very pleased with both of these guns right out of the box. Only minor resulted from me not reading the documentation on the Hicap regarding the rear sight not being set in place from the factory. That was an easy fix. The Major has had zero issues since I got it and both have had over 500 rounds each through them. Every chance I get I recommend DWs products to anyone who'll listen. If my dealer would stock them I'd buy more in a heartbeat. As it stands I may just bypass him and buy elsewhere!

·
Registered
844 Posts
Thank you all for the nice comments. Returns are very limited and you all now the story of the squeaky wheel. :)

Thanks,
Bob
DWF

·
Registered
197 Posts
I couldn't be more impressed with the accuracy of my PMA-B. It totally smokes any Colt or the single Kimer I have owned. My only gripe is that the slide and frame are so closely I can't use my Ciener .22 LR conversion kit on it. JUst a minor inconvenience however.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a blued PM 10mm and it has the best trigger of any 1911 I own. My only problem was a bur on the rear of the original firing pin that caused it to get stuck and protrude from the firing pin hole. I replaced the pin (Bob sent me a new one) and it has been flawless since. I have since had Tripp Research do a two tone finish, install a S&B magwell and added three of their Cobra Mags. I couldn't be happier, even Tripp was impressed by the trigger pull. Today I ordered another Pointman, this time a stainless 9mm. I highly recommend DW products and enjoy them just as much as my Kimbers but for much less cash.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts