1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bushnell-...02781599864202306941&affillinktype=10&veh=aff

Ok, here's the deal. I was cruising Walmarts yesterday trying to snag any deals I could, no AR's of course but 1 store had a couple Nikon P-223 3x9's in stock.

I figure what the hell, while I already own 1 of those I just put a P-223 3x on another AR and wouldn't mind a 3x9 on it to.

Clerk pulls a box out, rings me out for $89.00 plus tax ($95.05 total) and I head for foods to snag a couple things and leave.

I get home around 11pm and open the Nikon P-223 box and I find a Bushnell 4.5x18 in it.

I almost take it back but after checking online it looks like a better deal. I figure I want to do a 18" or 20" AR as my "Xmas" gun this year.....me thinks I have a scope for it now :p

Thoughts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I think 4.5x18 is too much glass for an 18 or 20 inch AR in 5.56. I think you'd be much better served with a 3x9 or a 2.5x8, maybe a x10. I'm running a 1x6 on my 18 inch and am scoring hits out to 500 yards easily. I can't imagine needing or wanting x18 on a 5.56.

Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm actually tempted to mount it on a AR I have now

My BCM 16" Socom/Spikes build. It has a Vortex 3x9x50 on it now and the Bushnell is smaller overall in size.

I'm waiting though. I want either a 18" or 20" "musket" and only plan on using that for long range (100-200 yards) target shooting.

Now, if only PSA would get either upper in stock

·
Registered
702 Posts
So due to a clerks error you got a $200 dollar scope in place of the $100 dollar scope you thought you were getting and want folks to say that this is a kosher thing to do?

What about the fella that gets the $100 dollar scope he paid $200 for, how's he going to feel?

Hate to say it for lord knows I ain't no boy-scout, but I'd do the right thing?

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
So due to a clerks error you got a $200 dollar scope in place of the $100 dollar scope you thought you were getting and want folks to say that this is a kosher thing to do?

What about the fella that gets the $100 dollar scope he paid $200 for, how's he going to feel?

Same here, even if it didn't mean someone else gets the cheaper scope it should be returned, or paid for.

Few years back I got someone's mail order scope by mistake - a Leupold, I ordered a Bushnell. The guy lived about 30 miles away, it was by a gun store, I called & told him "see you soon". Straight to the police department, because the guy was a cop. Offered to take me pig hunting. A few years later I ran into a cop friend of his, he said the guy said "be nice" if the need came up. Never did, but it shows the world is a small place and what comes around .....

·
Registered
309 Posts
What you will gain in credibility will far outweigh saving a couple bucks on a miss-shipped scope. If you're putting it on a decent rifle, you may also want something better than a Bushnell on it - like maybe a Leupold?

·
Registered
27,699 Posts
I can't shoot anything over a 12 power due to the reticle jump.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I think anything more than 3x9 on an AR15 is overkill. Now, if you have an AR10 then that would be something I would consider. Myself, I going to be asking Momma Claus for a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 for Christmas for my AR10 that I just picked up.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think anything more than 3x9 on an AR15 is overkill. Now, if you have an AR10 then that would be something I would consider. Myself, I going to be asking Momma Claus for a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 for Christmas for my AR10 that I just picked up.
Problem is the scope is marked 223, not sure it'll work with a 308

And for all those telling me to take the scope back I called the store this morning, they had no Bushnell boxes in the sporting goods section and said don't bother, their blowing all the AR stuff out any so that scope would have been marked down anyway

·
Premium Member
15,387 Posts
I'm actually tempted to mount it on a AR I have now

My BCM 16" Socom/Spikes build. It has a Vortex 3x9x50 on it now and the Bushnell is smaller overall in size.

I'm waiting though. I want either a 18" or 20" "musket" and only plan on using that for long range (100-200 yards) target shooting.

Now, if only PSA would get either upper in stock
All you need on that one is a red-dot. A 4X is enough for 100 yd shooting. But hey, suit yourself. The bigger the picture, the smaller the group - potentially.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All you need on that one is a red-dot. A 4X is enough for 100 yd shooting. But hey, suit yourself. The bigger the picture, the smaller the group - potentially.
I had a Vortex "Sparc" on another AR and didn't really shoot it much. I prefer scopes when I'm at the range.

The "plan" for either that rifle or my BCM 16" middy is getting either a good 1x4 or 1x6 illuminated scope on a QD or a Aimpoint Pro on a QD mount and having both zeroed for 1 rifle. Use the scopes each rifle has on it now for range plinking then mount the 1x4/6 on it for HD work if needed.

The Middy I mention. Right now it has a Nikon M-223 2x8 on it. That's not on a QD mount so I'll need that too, the Socom has a QD mount on it's scope.

I've been using extra gun money to stock 223 on sale this summer, I get to "X" amount I'll start looking at scopes

·
Registered
1,587 Posts

This is the answer! :rock:

Heck, worth it for the entertainment value, alone. :)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Don, I'm with you. I have an AR with a red dot and one with a 1x4 Leupold firedot scope. Guess which one I pick up to take to the range most often.? Yep, the scoped AR. I may not need the magnification for all the shooting that I do, but it is darn nice to have it when I need it.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I have an Eotech on my AR pistol. I had an Aimpoint PRO on one of my other AR's and didn't like it at all. Ended up putting a Leupold Mark AR 1.5x4 on it with the SPR recticle and I really like that setup better. I also have a Leupold Mark AR 3x9x40 on another of my AR's, and irons only on my LE6920. I think I've got all my bases covered.

Heck Don, if the 4.5x18 is 223 marked/calibrated I'd use the heck out of it. If I had one like that my problem would be finding a range long enough to take advantage of it.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have an Eotech on my AR pistol. I had an Aimpoint PRO on one of my other AR's and didn't like it at all. Ended up putting a Leupold Mark AR 1.5x4 on it with the SPR recticle and I really like that setup better. I also have a Leupold Mark AR 3x9x40 on another of my AR's, and irons only on my LE6920. I think I've got all my bases covered.

Heck Don, if the 4.5x18 is 223 marked/calibrated I'd use the heck out of it. If I had one like that my problem would be finding a range long enough to take advantage of it.

The state range I use is supposed to get 300 yard lanes next year. I figure if they do that would be perfectfor that scope on a 18 or 20 inch Ar

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bushnell-...02781599864202306941&affillinktype=10&veh=aff

Ok, here's the deal. I was cruising Walmarts yesterday trying to snag any deals I could, no AR's of course but 1 store had a couple Nikon P-223 3x9's in stock.

I figure what the hell, while I already own 1 of those I just put a P-223 3x on another AR and wouldn't mind a 3x9 on it to.

Clerk pulls a box out, rings me out for $89.00 plus tax ($95.05 total) and I head for foods to snag a couple things and leave.

I get home around 11pm and open the Nikon P-223 box and I find a Bushnell 4.5x18 in it.

I almost take it back but after checking online it looks like a better deal. I figure I want to do a 18" or 20" AR as my "Xmas" gun this year.....me thinks I have a scope for it now :p

Thoughts
So are you asking what we think about running a 4.5x18 scope on an AR or are you asking what we think about whether it's ok to steal a scope you didn't pay for?

I wouldn't do either. Especially the stealing part. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
27,699 Posts
So are you asking what we think about running a 4.5x18 scope on an AR or are you asking what we think about whether it's ok to steal a scope you didn't pay for?

I wouldn't do either. Especially the stealing part. :rolleyes:
Didn't read the whole thread did you?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts