1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read these posts, many from senior members that have grown up with a Colt in each hand, so to speak.
I see a lot of abbreviations, or letter designations. Am I the only one who doesn't know all of them? Is there a list somewhere? Seems that just when I get interested in a post, along comes some letters that don't spell anything!

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Not really what you describe as an old timer, but what letters/abreviations don't you understand?

Give us some examples........

·
Registered
12,293 Posts
I see a lot of abbreviations, or letter designations. Am I the only one who doesn't know all of them? Is there a list somewhere?
Triton, start here: http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=202077

If you still run across some unknown abbreviations or acronyms, do a google search on it, you'd be surprised just how many you'll be able to find. FTF/MSH/FS/FLGR, etc...if still no joy, then just ask, sooner or later, you'll know most of them. :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Premium Member
7,713 Posts
Never be afraid to ask in the middle of a thread either! :D

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
I have got to come to the defense of the OP some though I confess I am guilty of some acronym use and some abbreviations use. The rule in English is you write the whole thing the first time and show the acronym in parens. Then when you use the acronym folks are on the same page.

When you get a question about sights and the guy says he has a 02941 or some such nonsense and there is no picture, how do you help? You get colt guys going to gunsmithing and troubleshooting (gs and ts) with problems and all they give is my 03485 is doing this or doing that. The guys that really know the answer skip those kinds of questions.

Why not say I have a five inch .355 caliber hotrod made by xyz. It has a conventional non ramped bushing barrel and the colt series 80 style firing pin block. I bought it new or bought it used. I just installed a new widget and I have a problem I never had before. Folks just do not have the time or inclination to conduct research in order to help. Now if you put the gun down on the counter in person a guy can see what it is and the various subtle differences that exist and may have a bearing on the fix for the problem.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Triton, start here: http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=202077

If you still run across some unknown abbreviations or acronyms, do a google search on it, you'd be surprised just how many you'll be able to find. FTF/MSH/FS/FLGR, etc...if still no joy, then just ask, sooner or later, you'll know most of them. :)

That's what I was trying to find ^^^^. Thought there was a sticky about this, but couldn't find it either. Tracy

·
Registered
12,293 Posts
That's what I was trying to find ^^^^. Thought there was a sticky about this, but couldn't find it either. Tracy
:biglaugh: I know what you mean, I know it's a sticky somewhere, but I normally look for it in our General Discussions, Parts or Gunsmithing subforums. By the time I check all the wrong ones, it dawns on me that it's a sticky in the Site Questions & Suggestions subforum.:scratch:

·
Administrator
74,047 Posts
I think if the OP got an XSE w/FCS and a FLGR along with a BTGS he'd be GTG, just IMHO.

:D

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
I think if the OP got an XSE w/FCS and a FLGR along with a BTGS he'd be GTG, just IMHO.

:D

And then if he fired 250-rnfp or 230XTP, he'd be GTG too.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, I was wondering who I could provide a laugh for. Someone once said, "If you can't laugh at yourself, bah, bah, bah"
Over the years I have learned two things about forums, either you will find intelligent people who sincerely try to help others, or you will run into people that don't know beans about nothing, but will argue their level best to impress you with their superior knowledge of the nothing they know. Bah, bah, bah, etc

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I have got to come to the defense of the OP some though I confess I am guilty of some acronym use and some abbreviations use. The rule in English is you write the whole thing the first time and show the acronym in parens. Then when you use the acronym folks are on the same page.

When you get a question about sights and the guy says he has a 02941 or some such nonsense and there is no picture, how do you help? You get colt guys going to gunsmithing and troubleshooting (gs and ts) with problems and all they give is my 03485 is doing this or doing that. The guys that really know the answer skip those kinds of questions.

Why not say I have a five inch .355 caliber hotrod made by xyz. It has a conventional non ramped bushing barrel and the colt series 80 style firing pin block. I bought it new or bought it used. I just installed a new widget and I have a problem I never had before. Folks just do not have the time or inclination to conduct research in order to help. Now if you put the gun down on the counter in person a guy can see what it is and the various subtle differences that exist and may have a bearing on the fix for the problem.
And this brings my question: Is there any way to tell the model number of a Colt without the original box?

·
Registered
23,227 Posts
No. Not senior members. Most of the old ones that grew up with one in each hand do not have a clue and that is the few that even have a computer or know what a "forum" is.

I learned Morse Code to get a radio license many years ago, and SOS and a thousand other abbreviations were a good idea. I always loved the idea of talking to someone.

What has brought it back I think is the technology where you can TSF (now is that Text Some Friend or Text Some other word that starts with F?) It is almost becoming the new "Tower of Babel". There have been stories where one high school has their own "code" to keep messages private from the other high school.

I am guilty also. I took a course in scientific report writing years ago when an undergraduate and one the big thing is to define an acronym the first time you use it. Now if I am in a thread talking about Gold Cups I will assume the readers would know that GCNM means Gold Cup National Match.

Model numbers are another problem. I love questions like "I got a model O2991 and am curious about.............................." That is a Colt. Gov. in Blued and 38 Super Cal. Us old farts are better with abbreviations than TLAs and model numbers by the way.

The moral of the story if you want an answer to a question I would write the question very well and not use acronyms and model numbers, or use them and define them.

·
Administrator
74,047 Posts
Thanks, I was wondering who I could provide a laugh for. Someone once said, "If you can't laugh at yourself, bah, bah, bah"
Over the years I have learned two things about forums, either you will find intelligent people who sincerely try to help others, or you will run into people that don't know beans about nothing, but will argue their level best to impress you with their superior knowledge of the nothing they know. Bah, bah, bah, etc
I falsely assumed that since the original question was sufficiently answered that a little humor would be okay. My apologies if you took it the wrong way.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts