1911Forum banner

Ok, so we're using plated bullets

439 10
Such as Berry's 230gr RN, ok? What info do you look up to start loading with? I looked up info for 230gr FMJ and went from there. I was loading with W231, and Winchester says 4.9 - 5.7gr but Speer says 5.6 - 6.2gr. Again, this is FMJ data. Using this I loaded 50 rounds at 5.1gr, 50 at 5.2gr, 50 at 5.4gr and 50 at 5.6gr. The lot of 5.6gr shot much better than the rest and was not bad on recoil at all, yet some are telling me that's a very hot load, if you go by LRN load data.

So was I wrong to go by FMJ data instead of LRN data? I found the first 3 loads to be too weak and inaccurate, and don't believe the 5.6gr load is strong enough to be a near-maximum load.

Thanks all!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
333 Posts
its near the top end of the data i found , max listed was 5.8 grains,

using a 230 grain bullet and w231
from sierra the fps at 5.7 grains was 850
from nosler the fps at 5.8 grains was 790

the data changes by year the above are
some of the maxes i have listed, check the winchester site to see what they reccomend.

· Registered
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting - when I was loading 230gr LRN I didn't have Winchester's PDF manual, and they say 4.5 - 5.1 for 231. I went by different data and found I liked 5.2gr best and tried 5.3 and 5.4gr, which were not even the max load from the data I used, which was Lyman's and Speer's latest manuals.

For FMJ Winchester says 4.9 - 5.7 but Speer says 5.6 - 6.2 for TMJ, and it seems to be more accurate for Berry's bullets.

Winchester's load data seems kinda weak, especially on the 230gr LRN.

· Registered
549 Posts
Valkman

I used Winchester's numbers. And from what i had been told about Berry's was that in absence of specific information on thier bullet or plated bullets use the Lead numbers.

That's what i've been told, I guess and email to berry's would probably clear it up.

I had thought that due to the process differences in making the FMJ that they are much more capable of standing higher pressures then a "plated" bullet..

again.. i'll send an email off to Berry's and see what they have to say.

Jeff.

· Registered
5 Posts
Re: Valkman

Hunterjbb said:
I used Winchester's numbers. And from what i had been told about Berry's was that in absence of specific information on thier bullet or plated bullets use the Lead numbers.

That's what i've been told, I guess and email to berry's would probably clear it up.

I had thought that due to the process differences in making the FMJ that they are much more capable of standing higher pressures then a "plated" bullet..

again.. i'll send an email off to Berry's and see what they have to say.

Jeff.
I have a Berry's mailer at home, it states the reloader should use cast bullet data with the plated bullets.

Just thought I'd reinforce Jeff's quote.

· Registered
549 Posts
reply from Berry's.

got the reply from Berry's. Hope this helps everyone out.

Jeff,

re: 45-230-RN - Suggest the following, taken from Speer # 13 Reloading Manual.

Note: our line of copper plated bullets is very similar to Speer's TMJ line of copper plated bullets.

Speer # 13 shows 5.6 Gr. up to 6.2 Gr. WW-231 with the plated bullets and lower charges - 5.1 Gr. up to 5.6 Gr. WW-231 with their lead RN bullet.

My previous biz was a commercial loading biz & we consistantly used 5.4 Gr. up to 5.6 Gr. WW-231 for our 45-230-RN Berrys plated bullets with very satisfactory results.

Suspect the lead versus plated difference was because of leading with softer lead bullets or too high velocities.

We strongly suggest not over 1200 FPS & no heavy roll crimps with our bullets.

Good Shooting,

Bud Watson
Berrys Mfg Inc
909-930-6712

OK.. that sort of clears that up for me... Valkman looks like your ok.

· Registered
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Excellent - thanks for doing that!

I mostly went by the Speer data since it was for TMJ but started lower because of the Winchester data.

For some reason 5.6gr of 231 is too much with LRN but not with plated - I don't know why but I'll accept it. Glad it's ok since I loaded up 200 more last night! :D

· Registered
306 Posts
That's interesting. A year or two ago, Berry's publications instructed us to use lead data, and in a phone call to West Coast I was told that Speer TMJ data was the best for WC. Now Berry's says to use Speer TMJ data . . .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.