1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I am getting ready to order a new upper for a build. I'm going with a DPMS complete lower with 6 position stock. I'm not big on DPMS but I got a deal and how much can they really screw up a lower, besides a new LPK is cheap if the internals are crap. Anyway. I'm kinda up in the air on the upper. I'm wanting a a 16" or 18" preferably with a midlength gas system. I'm going to go with either a LMT fixxed rear or an MI flip and plan on mounting an aimpint on it. I'd prefer a midlength gas system and chrome lined barrel, I will however be happy with a stainless barrel and an traditional carbine gas system. 1:7 or 1:8 rate of twist prefered I want to try reloading some of the heavy stuff and see what iot can do at longer ranges out of a shorter barrel. Primary uses will be home defense, range fun, grouping reloads and hunting. Price range is $600ish or preferablly less Christmas has me a bit straped.

I've been a pretty loyal RRA guy but am willing to look at other options. My current top 3 are:
CMMG 18" SPR Upper w/Mid Length Gas http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?shop=1&cart=899804&cat=27& at $525
16" LMT M4 http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=358 at $614
RRA Midlength Chrome lined stainless http://www.rockriverarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=AR0675X&storeid=1&image=uhmid07.gif&CFID=3137052&CFTOKEN=40027592 at $450

I'm currently leaning towards either the CMMG or the RRA. I like the extra 2" on the CMMG for the extra velocity. I like the price of the RRA, I'd save enough to buy a spare BCG and upgrade the stock.

So what say you?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Try doubble star great parts, fit and finish. I nhave been seeing them at the gun shows in knoxville and the guys know their stuff. :rock:

·
Super Moderator
7,787 Posts
I would go with the CMMG 18, but its a heavy contour.

You cant go wrong with most all RR products.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I have a RRA and really love it...would buy another tomorrow if right caliber were offered...say a 243 or 260...as DPMS has...but prefer RRA...

·
Registered
57 Posts
I don't like the heavy profile of RRA barrels, I ended up having Adco turn mine down to government taper. Also no extended feed ramps. If i were buying again I would look elsewhere but if you want a middy RRA is about the cheapest option.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I love LMT products. They make great stuff and have great customer service. If it were me I would buy the LMT and not look back but YMMV. CMMG makes good stuff but I have heard enough complaints that I would take a long hard look giving my money to them. RRA is a really good upper for the price but be sure to inspect the BCG as they don't stake the gas key very well.

BTW if you are really interested in either the RRA or the LMT you can get them cheaper than what they are listed for in either link. If you are interested PM me and I'll send you to a dealer for both who has really good prices.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts