1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put some new Alumagrips on my TLE and the grip screws refuse to stay tight. You guys think a drop of blue loctite on the screws will solve my problem? Thanks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I wouldn't ... instead do this

Get some small O-rings which will fit over the threads of the screw.

I can't remember the exact #size of the O-rings I've used.

Then tighten the grip screws against the grips. The extra grip of the rubber between the head of the grip screw and the grip will keep the grip screws from backing out.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Red loctite for the grip handle bushings, blue for the grip screws.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Someone else posted this in the Colt section

Home Depot...#60 O-ring...Look in the faucet repair section...Brand name = Danco

I just buy a foot of that clear tubing like is used for aquariums and slice off whatever thickness O-ring that I need with a razor blade.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I have tried blue on the grip bushings and green (low strength) on the grips screws, with little success. Sure enough the bushings always loosen up before the screws and I would end up destroying the bushings.

Now I use a SMALL amount of blue locktite on the bushings and nothing on the grips screws. As said, the #60 O rings work great. If they are too thick, cut them down using a razor blade. I would rather have the grips screws loosening up rather than the bushings.

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
I'd suggest you pass on any loctite on the grip screws. As noted above, O-rings will do the job and allow you to remove the bushings easily without messing up the threads or slot or hex head. Breaking blue loctite loose is via force. Grip bushings and slot heads are fragile enough without adding to the problem.

I use BUNA-N O-rings in the 5/32" ID x 9/32" OD - 1/16" wide. I get them in packs of 25 at Small Parts, Inc., which is also a good place to find those "hard to find" screws of all kinds.
http://www.smallparts.com/

·
Registered
552 Posts
Been using blue Loctite for years. Works good. No problems removing them either. O rings work too. However they get old and dry out like rubber bands. Especially if exposed to gun cleaners.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I've used blue loctite on grip SCREWS at two Gunsite classes. Several rounds fired and no problems. I do use hex head grip screws when I use it just to gain a little more torque when I want them off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts