1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of the leather holsters have indents from the safety. If I were to install an ambi safety would that be sufficient to keep it on safe?

What holsters would allow me to have a forward cant 12-18 degrees I think would be sufficient, that would safely allow me to use an ambi safety (thinking of getting an extended right handed and a short left handed, if I can find a way to get one) but heres the trick. I want black, and I want enough retention I can hang upside down and not only have it not fall but not shift too much on my belt. Oh did I mention all of my belts are 1.75"?

HELP!

My guns in the shop and as soon as I run 500 rds down it I"m planning on buying a holster that does all of that, if it exists. Only thing I might sacrifice is the ability to hold the safety still if using an ambi. but it must hold the normal safety still no matter what.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
one thought I had going through things on this site. was hoping to buy used because then its already broken in. saw this thread. http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=250446 would something like that hold the safety in place (assuming he carried with the safety on not hammer down?) even though thats not canted enough that might be a good holster for the interim IF it holds the safety in place and could be readily died.

I have this nasty feeling what I described above is going to be a custom holster...

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
I may be wrong, but good custom leather that's boned to any great detail, is not necessarily done so for anything more than as perfect a fit as you can get, with great retention and draw. That said, with great retention and fit, the safety will rest where it's supposed to. If anything moves enough for the safety to come off, it's because the holster is not fit to the gun properly.

The level of boning will depend on the holster as well.

The one you linked to has a thumb break. If it's not designed for condition 1 carry, meaning hammer down, then no, it won't be boned with the safety in the on position since the safety can't be on with the hammer down. But I don't think most holsters with a thumb break and no sweat shield will be boned to the level of detail because the thumb break is what retains it. Best bet is to PM him and ask about it.

An ambi safety shouldn't be a problem either. Some folks have issues with flipping the safety off unintentionally, but personally, it's never happened to me, and I'm not concerned about it happening.

You might want to call and talk to a holster maker and discuss what all you want/think you want though. It might help to talk to someone that knows holsters, carry and what works rather than what someone thinks will work. Also the reason most use an FBI cant and where straight drop and/or other cant has a place, if it does.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I may be wrong, but good custom leather that's boned to any great detail, is not necessarily done so for anything more than as perfect a fit as you can get, with great retention and draw. That said, with great retention and fit, the safety will rest where it's supposed to. If anything moves enough for the safety to come off, it's because the holster is not fit to the gun properly.

The level of boning will depend on the holster as well.

The one you linked to has a thumb break. If it's not designed for condition 1 carry, meaning hammer down, then no, it won't be boned with the safety in the on position since the safety can't be on with the hammer down. But I don't think most holsters with a thumb break and no sweat shield will be boned to the level of detail because the thumb break is what retains it. Best bet is to PM him and ask about it.

An ambi safety shouldn't be a problem either. Some folks have issues with flipping the safety off unintentionally, but personally, it's never happened to me, and I'm not concerned about it happening.

You might want to call and talk to a holster maker and discuss what all you want/think you want though. It might help to talk to someone that knows holsters, carry and what works rather than what someone thinks will work. Also the reason most use an FBI cant and where straight drop and/or other cant has a place, if it does.
Thanks for the advice, I remember e-mailing one member a while backc that had 20 something holsters for 5" 1911s guess I'll send him another note.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,338 Posts
I use a Kramer #3, and while it doesn't have any sort of strap or thumb-break, the gun isn't going to fall out. I wouldn't depend on the holster to keep the gun on safe, but a holster with a "sweat shield" that's tightly molded to the gun should help, while at the same time maybe making the draw more troublesome.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
In my experience an ambi-safety is only necessary for the left handed shooter. A stock thumb safety is fine. The Ed Brown tactical or Wilson narrow are nice and easy to work. A tuned thumb safety should stay on.

I've never lost a gun, magazine or had my safety pop off while rollin' on the ground. I've always used an open top leather holster and magazine pouch. I favor Milt Spark or Alessi leather gear.

Less is more... focus on quality gear.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Yes I have always found the intent to be sufficent to keep the safety locked in the on position.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm reading your responses and I should probably explain this. I want something I can wear on a motorcycle. I can keep on me when I go rollerblading 10 miles (first thing I do with any holster). I want something, a light pick up game I can wear it, as long as I have pants on, I can wear it.

I want to be able to run, I will be sweating in it, a lot.

I want to be able to hang from my knees without a shirt to help hold it on and it stay in. Will I be doing this? No, but will I lay down yes, I once laid down, pressure apparently pushed the grip, and lo and behold when I got up my sig was on the ground. I had to buy a thumb break. I don't want to deal with my gun ending up on a chair will I notice the momben my right leg moves? Yes, but if I step left leg first I might not notice for 2 seconds scares me to death the concept.

I wear short sleeves even in 20 degrees so when the coat comes off I still can move freely. I choose 100% of my shoes with the first priority is I can run in them. I'm getting haix shoes for dress shoes just so I can run in them (the police shoes) 100% of my pants I bought with the thought of if I want I can run in them.

I'm ridiciculous and ok with that, anyones holsters fit the bill? I can't tell from the pictures. I'm starting to wonder about the kydex with that indent on the trigger gaurd would that do for me what I want?

I do realize with a 5" 1911 it wouldn't really come out all the way but if it did come half way out a few times I'd probably shelve it and go back to my sig P6.

hey procarry78 whats the turnaround for it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts