1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I want to pose a question for your replies. Would it be okay to take a dremmel to the under part of the slide (where the disconnector rides) and polish it smooth for a smoother action? The underneath is so rough and you can feel the slide "dragging" on the disconnector.

Thoughts?:rolleyes:

Bryan

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Typically it is polished by hand with a stone. A ceramic stone will polish it with no discernible loss of base metal. I'd think twice before taking a power tool to it, but hey, that's just me.

·
Registered
226 Posts
What gigi said! A ceramic stone, some scotch brite and a jewlers rouge by hand is the only way to go.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Best not to use a Dremel-type tool to grind or sand any flat surface, since you're applying an abrasive curved surface to a flat one.
Polishing is OK, with a felt wheel or cone, since you shouldn't actually be removing any metal.

Teddy Jacobson makes or sells some very good stones for gunsmithing: www.actionsbyt.com

Best.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the link, that gunsmith is in my local area. It will come in handy in the future. Have you had any work done by Teddy Jacobson?

Bryan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts