1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Local corporate shop has the SW1911 on sale. I fondled one pretty good today & it seems like a nice pistol. Why would I get the XSE over the SW or visa versa?

PS...TIA! Sorry for all my newbie questions, it's just that as 1911's go, I'm not as well versed & I've already gone through a couple that didn't quite measure up.

·
Administrator
75,240 Posts
The SW1911 is a nice gun, but it has so many proprietary parts that I personally don't even consider it a true 1911. It's merely a 1911-style, single action .45 auto. While many parts will interchange with other 1911s, a good portion of them won't.

·
Registered
170 Posts
i would get the colt. I dont like the SW 1911 rollmark on the side and i dont like all the warnings stamped into the side of the gun! It does come with wilson 47D's though.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
I really like the billboard on the side. :mummy:

·
Registered
399 Posts
DSK,

Could you expand on that? I know someone who's planning on getting one, and neither I nor he knew that. It might change his mind and bring him back to Colt...I hope.

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
As far as I know, the only differences are in the extraction system (external on the SW1911) and the firing pin safety system on the SW1911. The FP system on the SW1911 is almost a blend of the Kimber and Series 80 Colt system.

One other thing, the SW1911 was designed by a former Colt enigineer from what I understand.

Regards,
Sam

·
Registered
504 Posts
I'd go with the XSE anyday.....do you think the XSE has any connotation to rearranging the letters into SXE....SEXY?

·
Administrator
75,240 Posts
keinhaar said:
DSK,

Could you expand on that? I know someone who's planning on getting one, and neither I nor he knew that. It might change his mind and bring him back to Colt...I hope.
The slide, extractor, firing pin, FPS levers, FP plunger, and related pins are all proprietary to the SW1911. This may not sound like many parts, but basically we're talking the entire top end minus the barrel and bushing. If you need any of these parts replaced factory S&W service parts are your only option.

The SW1911 may work with most aftermarket accessories, mags, and commonly-replaced parts like triggers and grip panels, but to me enough critical parts are non-interchangeable that I feel it's no longer a "real" 1911. While I could say the same thing about a Colt Series 80, all one has to do is remove the FPS levers and the Colt becomes completely mil-spec again.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WOW, I didn't know that about the SW1911's parts :eek: It's good to know, but that is definitely a deal breaker IMO

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
I own both, I like both and paid about the same for both. The SW1911 has better sights and is fit a little tighter. If your new to 1911's you will probably like the SW1911 do to the better sights, BT grip safety, fully throated bbl., Sharply checkered Aluminum MSH, and a very consistent and well tuned extractor. As for Me If I could only have one it would be the ........ Colt. I like the more traditional set-up and the factory trigger job is very good.

·
Registered
470 Posts
They are currently under recall

Well at least some of them are as I saw a recall notice today at a local gunstore.. My XSE commander has worked flawlessly since I bought it last year. The sights are my only gripe but it still shoots and shoots and shoots. I would take it into combat any day. RB

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
The recall is not a big deal and if you buy a new SW1911 you are getting the new design. However we have failed to mention that the Colt SXE has far less MIM for those that do not like MIM

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
One thing I will say about the SW1911.......The machine work on the slide and frame are outstanding. The internal finish on the SW slide is amazing to say the least. I like the XSE but, the SW1911 is a pretty nice piece. And, S&W actually used an upswept BT. Wait until you see the new LW SW 1911 Commander sized pistol. Very innovative.

Now if the choice were between an XS Colt and the SW1911, I'd go with the Colt XS. If between an XSE and the SW1911, I'd probably go with the SW1911. (Amazing but true.)

Regards,
Sam

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
It would be a toss up between the two for me. I have both and have been very happy with both. I concur with Sam on the quality of the slide to frame fit and the internal work of the slide is top notch. The S&W has all the features that one might want on a 1911 out of the box (perhaps an internal extractor would be preferred, but other than that). With a few minor mods, the Colt can be brought to the feature level of the S&W. They both have shot POA for me. I prefer the Colt for Rollmarks and finish (both of mine have the blue finish).

·
Administrator
75,240 Posts
I'm not saying the SW1911 is a bad gun. So far most folks who have one like theirs, from what I've read. The recall is a non-issue for me, because it only affected the early ones and S&W is good about getting those fixed. My only gripe is that too many things on it stray from the original 1911 design. If that doesn't bother you, by all means consider it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
dsk - if the SW strays from the original design, doesn't Kimber do the same thing w/ their ugly rear sights? Or is the SW 1911 more similar to their own Performance Center gun?

·
Administrator
75,240 Posts
I don't like the Kimber rear sight either. However, I can't say that necessarily "strays" from the original design. After all, so does the famous Bo-Mar!

What I am talking about is when small parts begin to wear out or break, and you have to contact S&W for replacements because any old 1911 aftermarket part won't work. It can probably be said that the only "true" 1911s on the market are all the mil-spec ones (Series 70, Springfield, etc). However, pistols with beavertails and larger sights are so common now that I don't care. If the MIM beavertail breaks on your Kimber (which has happened to some) there are many aftermarket beavertails that will replace it. I believe the S&W beavertail is also a common size, but many of the other parts aren't.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts