1911Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tryin to find out if I can carry in these states over the holidays. I am licensed in Texas. I am pretty sure I can in Oklahoma but I cannot find anything on Kansas. Any info or feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Hi from exciting Kansas where we aren't at all helped by evolution (by order of the State School Board).

You can't carry concealed here unless you're a police officer. There's probably some kind of restriction on that too if you're from out of town. Keep the firearms (which may or may not include Air guns) locked in a case at all times. From what I've been told, if the police are bored, they hang out at Walmart to confiscate air rifles that are still in the box, and not in a locked case. We just got preemption passed, but I'm not sure if it's in effect yet.

Mike

·
Registered
15 Posts
Oooh.... so the state gets to make the rules now, instead of the city/county/political subdivision? How nice.... the rules will finally be uniform across the state, rather than a hodgepodge where what's legal in this county becomes illegal when you cross the county line.....

·
Registered
841 Posts
Where are you wanting to go in Kansas?

All of the metro areas and Ft Riley/Junction City area are
not gun friendly places.

The rest of the state is more relaxed.
Firearm in vehicle is ok.

NO CCW, our last two gutless Govs have vetoed the bills.
One Demo, One Republican. Both SUCK.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Naw Kansas is way better

private transfers are legal
no having to get LEO permission to buy guns etc
However cant own a machinegun :grumble:
(you might hurt yourself with it)

However the legislature and gov work, well, like watching
molassas run uphill in sub zero weather.
Not a lot of freakin movement and not a new idea to be seen.

God forbid we change any freakin law on the book.

·
Registered
66 Posts
skynyrd1911 said:
Kansas sounds like Illinois to me:rolleyes:
Now that's a bit harsh. All you have to do to purchase a gun here is pass the NICS check. Kansas doesn't require registration and there is no state firearm owners ID card. Hopefully we'll be getting a new governor next year, one who will sign a CCW bill (The legislature just didn't have enough votes to override Sebelius' veto).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies. I will be staying in Kansas City for the Thanksgiving holidays. Will not be goin to MO side of the city. Just Kansas. I know I will be okay in Oklahoma. Probably will just lock box it I get to Kansas.

·
Registered
841 Posts
kjhof said:
Yeah, I have to agree that Kansas is in better shape than we are (although private sales are legal here, too, Kels).
I learned something new.
Sounds like I goofed.:mummy:
My apologies.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Even though stationed overseas, I keep up on Kansas' 2A laws (I grew up and lived in Olathe for over 20 years). The State Preemption is active. So, there is a minimum, that can be adhered to without any trouble. Some areas of KS allow open carry, most metro areas don't. All of the KC Metro area does not allow open carry. However, with the preemption law, you can legally carry in your car as long as you adhere to some minor guidelines:

1) the handgun must be unloaded
2) the gun must be in a container (nothing of the gun showing; fanny packs and holsters don't count)--a good example would be the plastic (lockable) gun case that comes from the factory with most new guns.

When I carry in KS, I drop the mag, clear the chamber and lock the slide back. I then put the (loaded) mag and the handgun in the case. I leave it right beside me in my vehicle. If the $h*t hits the fan, then I load the mag and hit the slide release. The law isn't CCW, but at least I can leave the gun in an almost ready condition nearby.

If at all worried, then you could fall back to the Federal standards for peaceable journey.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.