1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Administrator
74,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Clint Eastwood turned 90 today. Whether you like him or not, you can't question the influence he's had on the Hollywood genre of tough action heroes for the past 60 years. And more than a few of us bought a Smith Model 29, Colt Walker or a Schofield revolver, or lusted after a Grand Torino after watching one of his films. Today I took a friend out shooting, and while I was at it decided to fire 18 rounds out of my Model 29 at ten yards just for the occasion.

BTW the friend was the same petite lady I introduced to guns a few months ago. Already she's showing remarkable improvement, despite still being constrained to only shooting .22 pistols. Last range trip she was mostly just keeping them on the paper. Now she's keeping them all inside the scoring rings. :)

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Happy Birthday Blondie....... (Of course In my best Italian tainted phony Mexican Accent).

·
Registered
861 Posts
Clint was always Top Drawer as an actor, and he ain't all that bad as a director/producer (whatever).

Only John Wayne, Charleton Heston, Yul Brynner, Kirk Douglas, Charles Bronson and Lee Marvin really come close over their acting careers.

Nuthin' but respect.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
I've always like that hard glare he gave just before he shot or kicked the cowboy feces outta someone.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MR. EASTWOOD.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
13,643 Posts
I lusted for this Grand Torino when I was a teenager.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Doesn't matter to me that almost all of Mr. Eastwood characters wielded firearms. He is pro gun control. I don't watch his movies. Never have. But any one reaching 90 deserves a happy birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY MR.EASTWOOD!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,665 Posts
dsk---------- You fired 18 rounds? ------------------I know what you're thinking. Are you sure it wasn't just 17? In all this excitement I kinda forgot myself.

When I was a teen Clint used to be, technically, my boss at his tavern in Carmel Ca. But I only saw him one time before I split for a better paying job.

·
Registered
13,665 Posts
Phreddie30.06 ------------- You can be crafty & watch his movies without giving him one cent.

Your one-man boycott is not hurting HIM at all, and is screwing YOU out of some excellent entertainment.

Do you interview every single provider of food, clothing, shelter, & services on their 2A beliefs before spending your precious pennies? That's absurd.

How about this? Get Gran Torino & Dirty Harry & Unforgiven at the Amvets thrift store. Clint gets nothing from that & a good charity does.

Then, for every film you watch, you throw in an extra coupla bucks when you renew your NRA membership.

That will do MUCH more for the 2A than going to your grave without seeing some great, gun-intensive, iconic films.

·
Administrator
74,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My own mother is anti-gun. That doesn't mean I don't visit her or take her out to lunch. Clint may not be as pro-gun as we might want him to be, but at least he's not as bad or as hypocritical as other celebrities like like Sly Stallone. Rocky is a gun enthusiast with a very large gun collection and allegedly his own private indoor gun range as well, yet he is a spokesperson for the Brady Campaign and a very vocal supporter of strict gun control for us common people. Apparently only important people like him should be allowed to exercise their Second Amendment rights.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Phreddie30.06 ------------- You can be crafty & watch his movies without giving him one cent.

Your one-man boycott is not hurting HIM at all, and is screwing YOU out of some excellent entertainment.

Do you interview every single provider of food, clothing, shelter, & services on their 2A beliefs before spending your precious pennies? That's absurd.

How about this? Get Gran Torino & Dirty Harry & Unforgiven at the Amvets thrift store. Clint gets nothing from that & a good charity does.

Then, for every film you watch, you throw in an extra coupla bucks when you renew your NRA membership.

That will do MUCH more for the 2A than going to your grave without seeing some great, gun-intensive, iconic films.
I wished him a Happy birthday! That should be enough. And ok I will start watching a few spaghetti westerns. Which one do I watch first.

·
Banned
13,564 Posts
I wished him a Happy birthday! That should be enough. And ok I will start watching a few spaghetti westerns. Which one do I watch first.

Start with Fistful of Dollars....

·
Registered
861 Posts
The nice thing about his movies is: leaving their damned politics out of it.

"Shall Not Be Infringed" should be branded on many, many, many people - starting with the appeasers and "rationalists". Slippery slope that.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Happy Birthday Clint.

I never really liked the Spaghetti Westerns. Clint did star in one of my favorite westers ever though. The Outlaw Josey Wales. "You gonna pull them pistols or whistle Dixie?"

·
Registered
13,665 Posts
Don't forget Every Which Way But Loose

Oh wait, DO forget it! --------------- He's had some stinkers. But overall, I'd say the majority are pretty good. And some are downright excellent.

·
Administrator
74,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Believe it or not I saw The Good, the Bad and the Ugly from beginning to end for the first time today. I've often had it on while doing other things but this was the first time I actually sat through and watched the whole thing (it's pretty long). Very good movie, even with its many flaws (hint: don't watch if you're a stickler for firearms authenticity).

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
By the way, that “gran Torino” above is from Starsky & Hutch nothing to do with Clint-at all, still really cool as my as my sisters fiancé at that time had one, great car!

inspite of his hypocritical politics I still think the guy is great, my brother met him while he was in the navy way back in the 60’s in California and really treated him right, he didn’t have to and that was when all the anti-Vietnam protests were the thing and calling our service people names, a dark time in our history today at the least, Clint was very respectful, gracious and seemed to appreciate my brothers service, been on my “hero” list ever since.

·
Administrator
74,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have had to come to terms with the fact that not everyone, even pro-gun people are always 100% on our side. My own father liked guns and owned several, but he was yet another person who was against ordinary citizens owning rifles like the AR-15. That despite the fact that he owned an M1 Garand. What we have to do is be willing to engage these kinds of people in conversation and get them to realize that an AR-15 is just another firearm, and that the overwhelming majority of owners are just regular people, not crazy wingnuts or neo-Nazi types. Unfortunately too many of us prefer to just shut those people down or scream in their face about our rights, and how we'll give up our guns when they're pried from our dead hands. That kind of talk makes us feel better but doesn't help much when trying to get other gun owners to understand the reality of gun control.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts