1911Forum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Truthfully,, all of Clints movies are really cheesy but I like em and they make you wish that “real life” was so easy. But his movies give you some time away.

My Buddy just bought a S&W model 29 (I think) all stainless, really nice gun!
If stainless, it would be a 629. If really a 29, but not blued, it's nickel plated.

His movies can be a bit cheesy, but that's one of the reasons I like them.

The modern flashy movies with 10 minute car chases and guns that never need a reload put me to sleep.

-

·
Administrator
75,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
The gunfights and displays of shooting skill in his movies were often very cheesy. There is a scene in A Few Dollars More where Clint outdraws an opponent and you can clearly see that he was aiming a mile away. Yet we're supposed to believe he was such a badass he could shoot people's hats off and split ropes in half at 200 yards.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I think that was just the way shooting was portrayed in those days. Go back a little further and you have Roy Rogers shooting guns out of peoples hands while shooting from the hip.

·
Administrator
75,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Oh, the inaccuracies are so obvious it's almost a game to spot them all. I also like the fact that they kept bringing the same actors back for each of the Dollars trilogy movies even though they were playing completely different people. They were also supposed to be part of the same storyline, and yet in the first two films everyone had Colt Single Actions and Winchesters while the last one (Good, Bad, Ugly) was set in 1862 during the Civil War with percussion revolvers altered to fire cartridges. Definitely some serious anachronisms going on!

·
Banned
1,260 Posts
My favorite inaccuracy in the Dollar series was the shooting of hats on mainstreet in For A Few Dollars More. Hat eventually falls just out of range so the bullets just drop in front of Lee Van Cleef's feet - because Eastwoods barrel was a couple of inches shorter, while Lee could shoot Eastwoods hat with impunity because he had the longer barrel on his revolver. You have to just love the absurdity in all that. Classic.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have been boycotting movies for years. Meryl Streep’s rant at an awards show reinforced my desire to not sent my money to one of the biggest liberal blocks in my home state, California.
I do watch movies on TV, which I realize my satellite Bill helps to pay for.
As for Clint, the spaghetti westerns like A Fist Full Of Dollars, and A Few Dollars More aren’t that enjoyable. His later stuff, as Harry Callahan are much better.
Happy Birthday Clint, may you enjoy many, many in happiness and health.

·
Registered
577 Posts
My favorite inaccuracy in the Dollar series was the shooting of hats on mainstreet in For A Few Dollars More. Hat eventually falls just out of range so the bullets just drop in front of Lee Van Cleef's feet - because Eastwoods barrel was a couple of inches shorter, while Lee could shoot Eastwoods hat with impunity because he had the longer barrel on his revolver. You have to just love the absurdity in all that. Classic.
Or a house collapsing due to a large number of bullet holes in "the Gauntlet".

Another classic scene.

-

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
Clint may not be avidly pro gun like I am and he may lean the other way a bit but he is one that I will give a pass to. I actually think he may have played a small part in raising my enthusiasm for gun ownership and trying to become a very good shooter. He may have led many others toward firearm ownership unintentionally.

I like most all of his westerns and military movies but I think “Unforgiven” has one of the best endings and it is probably my favorite next to “Outlaw Josie Wales”.

·
Administrator
75,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Outlaw Josey Wales is hands-down my favorite of all his westerns. In my opinion it had a more satisfying ending than Unforgiven, which to me was a bit of a letdown. I expected a big climactic fight between him and Gene Hackman, but in the end the whole movie kind of ended with a whimper.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I was a big fan of his movies most of my life.
But recently after reading his story not so much.

The guy was a real run arounder.

He would be in the middle of a divorce with his present Wife and going out with another and and in the mean time cheating on her with another.

He was a good looking guy, but the women he was with were some real dogs.

My Dad often said " Love is Blind" I guess he was right.

They arn't ever sure of all the children he fathered.

As a Actor , especially to kids watching your movies, you have the responsability to lead a fair example in your personal life.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The Guantlet

Or a house collapsing due to a large number of bullet holes in "the Gauntlet".

Another classic scene.

-
The Gauntlet has to be one of the worst movies ever made! Ranks right up there with Airplane II, and The Big Bus!
Cheers,
Unkei

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
Not interested in a thing he says or does anymore, I'm not interested in supporting hypocrites. Sure, my boycott won't hurt him; but wouldn't ya know it, it won't hurt me either. Not in the least. I boycotted my favorite band, for years, over this stuff. Clint Gaywood is an easy one.

You're either with us or against us, that's where we are currently. Anybody who supports more gun restrictions after the last two weeks is in fact, against us. It's that simple.

·
Administrator
75,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
My cousin had a Ford Pinto painted to match the GT above.
It's shame he didn't keep it as they're quite rare nowadays. Especially after that incident at a car show in Florida when a parade of them rear-ended each other.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts