1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1991A1 I bought new on March 13, 1994. I was thinking of trading it for another gun. I read the sticky describing the differences in models such as ORM and NRM, but I have a slightly different question.

Is there anything that makes this gun worth more or makes it more collectable than if I were to buy one new in the box today? For example, I know people seek out the "pre-lock" S&W revolvers. Is there anything like that involving my 1991? Are there things that people prefer to have (or not have) that are found on the older guns as opposed to how the new one's are designed?

This probably gets asked a million times, but any idea on it's worth as a trade-in? I paid $405.00 in 1994. I have the outer carton, the box, manual, and all the original receipts and paperwork. Less than 100 rounds through it.

Thanks for helping a new guy. Great site. I got lots of reading to do.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,296 Posts
Most people much prefer the NRM guns over the ORM. The fit and finish of the new guns is better, and even the quality of the components is better, today (my ORM had a MIM extractor, which nobody appears to be using, any more). I don't see the ORM ever becoming collectible, but I suppose as the supply of un-messed-with guns gets smaller, the prices will go higher. That said, even a minty ORM is worth maybe $500? While a new NRM will set you back about $700. Is the ORM ever going to "catch up"? I doubt it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I wanted to make sure I wasn't getting rid of a gem. I'm finding it a little heavy for carry, I have a compression fracture in my back. I've been looking hard at S&W's commander size 1911PD and want to offset the cost.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts