1911Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,939 Posts
What revolver will you be shooting these bullets in? A .38 Special (only) revolver or a .38/.357 magnum? That's an interesting bullet. You can load it down for very mild recoil, say around 750-800 fps in .38 spl. Or load hot in the 1200-1400fps range in a .357mag revolver. Roll crimp the bullet in the cannelure. This will give you the correct OAL. You can achieve either the mild or wild loads using either Titegroup or HP-38.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I can't remember the exact revolver he has but yes it can fire both from it. It's actually a fun gun to shoot. He's had it over here a couple times and we both enjoy shooting it very much.
12596.jpeg
12600.jpeg
12598.jpeg
12596.jpeg
12598.jpeg

·
Registered
153 Posts
That's a S&W 686+ (7 shot) .357 magnum. It should handle a steady diet of magnum loads.

Remington used to load that 95 gr. semi-jacketed hollow point bullet at high velocity for use in snubnose revolvers. The nice thing about 38/357 is that you can go from mild to wild, velocity wise. The thing to watch out for with those light bullets is if the velocity is too low, friction can cause the jacket to seize up in the bore and the lead core could separate and continue out of the barrel, leading you to think that everything was "normal." The next shot could bulge or ring the barrel.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Farmall: thanks for posting that. I don't remember which version of that book I have but mine doesn't show that particular weight of bullet. This helps a lot.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Okay I'm coming to some of the pros here on the forum for an answer that I can't figure out using the reloading books I have on hand. My son was gifted some old components, one of which are a couple of boxes that are marked 38. What would these be used for? 38 special? 38 super? 380 auto maybe? The dia. listed on the box and the weight of the bullets doesn't line up with what I find in my books. Any help anyone with more experience than I have will be grateful and very much appreciated.
In the 1970s the answer for the .38 Special lack of performance was to go lighter weigh bullet over a hefty load of Blue Dot to make +P and/or +P+ status like "Super Vel".

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Another question comes to mind now. Have any of you ever had to trim your cases? SAMMI has a length of 1.155 for .38 special. I've read in one of my books to trim that down to 1.145?
I have been reloading 38 Special for 40 years (plus shooting PPC) and I have never trimmed a 38 Special case.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
I can't remember the exact revolver he has but yes it can fire both from it. It's actually a fun gun to shoot. He's had it over here a couple times and we both enjoy shooting it very much. View attachment 608011
Smith & Wesson 686 Plus. I got a four inch about 2 1/2 years ago. I got 2250 rounds down range of which 300 are 357 Magnum. very nice revolvers I had the 686 when they first came out about 40 years ago and he current breed is better, JMHO.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Try actually opening a reloading manual.

Every one I've ever seen lists bullet diameter for each cartridge.

See what diameter is used for .380, 38 Super, 9mm, 38 special and 357 mag.

Once you've done that you should be able to figure out what those bullets are for.

Personally, I'd NEVER shoot your reloads. Just having to ask this question leads me to believe you're not ready to be left alone with reloading equipment.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
BrokenGrunt: first off I have THREE manuals, not sure if somehow I miscommunicated my thoughts but possibly I did. That or I'm just not up to your expertise. And I recall someplace in this thread I also mentioned that the bullet diameter is .357. My manuals list this weight ONLY for a 38 Super Automatic.
Secondly I'm not sure if you noticed but these are bullets that were given to my son. He wanted to know about reloading these for his revolver. Oh yeah I do believe that I also mentioned that I mainly reload 45acp. and a small amount of 9mm Luger.
So if someone can't come to a forum like this to ask questions about something he clearly does not know about, to learn more about a subject so that perhaps one day he will be as knowledgeable and perfect such as you obviously are then I guess there really is no point in having these types of forums. But that's just me. Sorry to have offended you so terribly.

·
Registered
9,067 Posts
The 231 listed in the page posted as a picture is a the same as the HP-38 you have on hand so there you go-as long as you have SPP's, you're in business!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Capt. The 231 and the HP-38 deal was one of if not the first thing I learned about powder. Funny thing is that once in awhile I find them both listed as loads for some bullets at slightly different amounts and/or slightly different velocities.

·
Registered
9,067 Posts
Capt. The 231 and the HP-38 deal was one of if not the first thing I learned about powder. Funny thing is that once in awhile I find them both listed as loads for some bullets at slightly different amounts and/or slightly different velocities.
Okay, just making sure-I've seen those little variances too, annoying but they are so slight as to be insignificant-at least the one's I've caught. One thing about the Lyman manual though-sometimes their upper charge weights are kind of generous in my experience so those I would approach with caution.

That and the fact that the .38Spl and even more so the .357Mag cartridge are tall, skinny and dang near to see down into so small charges of fast powder vanish and there is plenty of room for double charges. Titegroup is even worse that way than HP-38 so be careful with it.

My favorite lite loads for .38Spl are old school BE shooter loads and from a full size revolver make a .22LR seem energetic. Pick a fast shotgun powder-Red Dot or Clays, even Bullseye and put something between 2.4 and 3.2 gr of it behind a 148gr LHBWC. Boringly accurate and anyone who can raise the revolver has the strength to shoot a hundred or two rounds in a day...

.38Spl and .357Mag are great rounds to reload because you can really explore and learn to exploit the full capability of the shooter and the revolver from mild to wild!

Seriously, have fun with this one when we get access to more components-that revolver opens up a whole new world of possibilities and I would be surprised if you don't end up with one!

I'm not kidding-the .38Spl/.357Mag is a wonderful cartridge family. Heck, skip the revolver if you want and just get a Henry Rifle...

Get some Magnum primers, .357Mag Starline brass, Accurate #9 or H-110 and some heavy bullets-158 grains or better-either cast and gas checked (I like Matt's Bullets 165gr SWCGC) or JHP or FMJ's and you'll be able make some real fire breathing rounds and if you can shoot them well enough, well, they are plenty for Eastern Whitetail hunting or defense from anything on two or four feet East of the Rockies.

Oh, as for Matt's Bullets, he offers a cast hollow point that will expand at .38Spl velocities. May not be quite as perfectly as one of the highly engineered Gold Dot Short Barrel bullets but the difference is that you can actually get them...try to find some Gold Dots!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Will do thanks. The page out of Farmall's Lymam's 47th edition that he posted earlier is NOT in my edition, which is the 50th. Information in these manuals seem to constantly be changing and every once in awhile from what I have noticed conflict with others of different manufacturers. That is irritating as well.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
BrokenGrunt: first off I have THREE manuals, not sure if somehow I miscommunicated my thoughts but possibly I did. That or I'm just not up to your expertise. And I recall someplace in this thread I also mentioned that the bullet diameter is .357. My manuals list this weight ONLY for a 38 Super Automatic.
Secondly I'm not sure if you noticed but these are bullets that were given to my son. He wanted to know about reloading these for his revolver. Oh yeah I do believe that I also mentioned that I mainly reload 45acp. and a small amount of 9mm Luger.
So if someone can't come to a forum like this to ask questions about something he clearly does not know about, to learn more about a subject so that perhaps one day he will be as knowledgeable and perfect such as you obviously are then I guess there really is no point in having these types of forums. But that's just me. Sorry to have offended you so terribly.
Forget the weight. Look at the diameter.

What diameter do your three manuals say the 38 super uses??? What do they say the .380 uses??? What do they say the 9mm uses????

Learn to think, I know that thinking for yourself isn't taught in school any longer and it's really not encouraged among the Liberal/leftist/progressive movement. But a Free Man needs to be able to think for himself. What are ya going to do if the LLP movement shuts down forums like this?

BTW, Hodgdon lists data for a 90 gr bullet in the .357 and data for 77, 84, and 90 grain bullets in the 38 Special.

They also show the correct bullet diameter for each cartridge.,

I know it's scary as hell to start thinking for yourself, but ya really need to learn to do it and not lean on or expect to find answers online. BTW, one of the things about thinking for yourself is you seek KNOWLEDGE instead of expecting to have answers handed to them.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
You just confirmed what I have been told but was trying really very hard not to believe. Thank you and thank you for your service.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can't remember the exact revolver he has but yes it can fire both from it. It's actually a fun gun to shoot. He's had it over here a couple times and we both enjoy shooting it very much. View attachment 608010 View attachment 608011 View attachment 608012 View attachment 608010 View attachment 608012

I just can't get used to the lock under the latch, the lack of a firing pin in the hammer or unrecessed cylinders. Heck, I had trouble getting used to anything but a flat latch. The extra round is nice, though. Nice gun.

Reactions: JLS1911
21 - 40 of 41 Posts