1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a bunch of 45 and 9mm brass that's been out in a field for several years, can't find any visible damage other than tarnish, no rust on the primers. Is this stuff any good for reloading or is it scrap?

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
If the integrity of the cases is still good, then clean them up and load them. Brass is pretty tough.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
We use a tarp to catch brass and make it easier to pick up.

Inevitably, some gets missed.

Sooner or later, we "find" it.

It gets thrown in with the rest, is cleaned, deprimed, re-sized, re-primed, belled, charged, topped with a bullet, seated, and crimped and shot without any incidence.

So if I were you, I'd reload it.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This from the spot I shoot my guns at before I thought about getting into reloading, now all I think about is new places that might have some brass laying around. The way I see it is the less I have to pay for components the more I save and can shoot.
Two Gang Bangers shot it up at each other last nite in the park I may give it a few days and see the police missed any brass.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Two Gang Bangers shot it up at each other last nite in the park I may give it a few days and see the police missed any brass.
Got any Scots blood in ye?

Buy a bunch of factory ammo.

Shoot it. Reload.
Shoot it. Reload.
Continue.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Got any Scots blood in ye?

Buy a bunch of factory ammo.

Shoot it. Reload.
Shoot it. Reload.
Continue.
My Great Grandmother, Cassie McClean, would be proud of such niggardly behavior.:)

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I've used some pretty knarly brass. I bought some range 45LC that had sat outside a long time. Green and black and nasty looking. I rinsed them off, tumbled with nufinish and mineral spirits then sized and loaded them up. Works just fine. Unless cracked, split, sharply dented (the usual stuff) I'd clean and shoot it

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
My Great Grandmother, Cassie McClean, would be proud of such niggardly behavior.:)
Hey! We might be relatives back a few generations.

Our Clan has

&

·
Registered
425 Posts
It shouldn't be a problem. I suggest you clean the brass and examine for cracks or other problems prior to loading, but you probably do that anyway.

My other login name for various forums is 'OldManMontgomery'. Those of us graced by God to have Scottish forebears are not cheap: we're THRRRIFTY.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
. . . .
I might beat you to it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts