1911Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there still any other folk shooting the old 15-2s around? I know that the newer guns get all the headlines but there are still atleast a few of us old Monson shooters left I'd imagine.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I had my 15-2 out on wednesday. I shoot it with the 8" vent heavy barrel after I pulled the 6" vent light off it. Shot well and seemed to handle hot 2400 loads better then most. Mine is an earlier (I believe) Monson one. My serial number is in the 300,000 range if I remember right and I have seen serial numbers up in the 2,xxx,xxx?

I picked up new target grips off e-bay last fall and they seem to work well.

So far the only problems have been the cylinder stop fell out when I overheated the gun with about 300 blue dot loads on 125 grn jhp's last year. I bought 4 extra stops and just tapped one back in. All is good.

What is interesting to me is the 15-2 (carbon steel) has SO MUCH BETTER TRIGGER PULL then my 722 from the current DW. Literally the trigger pull on the Monson is about 3 lbs and my 722 is about 6 lbs while the DA on the 722 is off the scale (13 lbs max) yet the 15-2 is at around 10 lbs as I remember it.

Got to love those old 15's....

·
Premium Member
6,703 Posts
That was the first handgun I ever owned. A 4" version. It shot the best, to date, of any other revolver I have owned.
No I no longer have it:(

Bob

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Took the other Wesson to the range today and boy is it nice. With 38 Spl SWCs it was dead on, but the 125 357s were way low. About 3-4" low so I'm gonna have to crank the sights up a little. But it still did a great pattern so all I need to work on is the elevation. I usually shoot 158 gr 357s so I'll experiment with them before making any changes.

·
Registered
560 Posts
What makes it the 15-2 ?

is there something specific on it that marks it as that version ??..

I purchased my .357 pistol pack back in 1981.. 4 barrels. 2",4",6" 8" i believe.

Ser #354390..

has the release for the cylinder up front on the side and the blueing actually looks like a couple of different shades. :) gives the gun character in my opinion but it's held up remarkably well..

It's an awesome revolver, i've shot it mostly with the 4" barrel on it and used it for some Security gaurd type work(armored truck) They wouldn't let me carry my BHP.. go figure..

I think i'm going to try USPSA with it with the 6" barrel on it.. mabye the 8... not sure but will try that this coming season..

Jeff.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you bought it back in '81, then it is probably either the 14-2 or the 15-2. That was right after DB died, IIRC. The 14-2 was the service model while the 15-2 was the target model with adjustable sights. They also made a 38 special model that was the models 8 and 9 IIRC.

I found an old pricelist from 1978 the other day and if I get a picture of it, I'll post them.

·
Registered
560 Posts
well

I would guess then that it's the 15-2 as it has the adjustable sights on it..

Actually did not realize it was that old till i saw this thread and started looking at it, found the paperwork for the sale and the DW paper work that came with it. . Still have the belt buckle and patch that came with it... and it came with two sets of grips but i put pachmyar on it..

still shoots great, though i almost sold it a year ago... glad i kept it.

Jeff.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
As we all remember and talk about our 15-2's a question to my fellow owners.

Are your rear sights the old "wobble" sights or did you put in a millett aftermarket one?

Also how hard have you ever pushed yours? I am using mine as a 357 mag test bed because it was so cheap that if I destroyed it, no great loss financial (yes I would be upset about it, but it isn't a 5 screw S&W or a Python.....)

Last question have you ever worked on the trigger pull or had an action job? I sort of concluded it wasn't necessary but I was interested in your thoughts.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went to a 7.5# Wolff Hammer Spring and their reduced power trigger return spring. Gave me a trigger that is almost as nice as on my Smith N frames but still almost Colt like as it tightens up slightly just befor it breaks.

I usually shoot 158s but this weekend tried out some 125s. Still groups great but dropped POI by nearly 4". Gotta work on old wobbley to get the POI up. ;) ;)

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Thanks for the advice. Since the old Monson has a reputation of sintered trigger parts that were case hardened I do not really want to mess with the trigger. I was just curious about it.

Yes the wobble sights are unique but they appear to work.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
light springs

Caveat: I'm a novice, so this comment may not apply.

Stephen Camp's book, Defensive Handguns, warns against using "light" mainsprings lest it cause a primer to fail to detonate at "A Bad Time."

Larry

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: light springs

xes said:
Caveat: I'm a novice, so this comment may not apply.

Stephen Camp's book, Defensive Handguns, warns against using "light" mainsprings lest it cause a primer to fail to detonate at "A Bad Time."

Larry
And that is a very realistic warning.

There is a line to be walked between improving performance and failure. One reason that I hesitate to modify components is just that. But swapping springs can also improve the overall reliability and enjoyment of a gun.

In this case, the gun in question is a 6" Target Revolver. The stock hammer spring is a 10#. Wolff, a reputable spring company, makes a kit that contains an 8# and 7.5# hammer spring as well as a reduced power trigger spring. These were designed specifically for the Dan Wesson. They also make kits for Smiths, Colts, HiPowers and others.

So I tried the reduced power springs. I kept the original spring and the 8# as well. That allows returning things back to original condition. Once the change is made the next step is to test it to see if it will turn out to be as reliable as you demand and if it actually works as desired.

In this case, it worked well. After hundereds of rounds, both 38 special and 357 magnum, it has never missfired.

But as Stephen says, caution is the watchword. And it is a rule that he follows when he works on his guns. :D

·
Premium Member
6,703 Posts
Yeh, you really have to be careful. I tried the reduced power set-up in one of my Smiths and gained about a 40% missfire rate. This was using Federal primers. So much for that experiment.

The bottom line is, for me, do the experimenting with the "range Guns" and leave the "Carry Guns" the way they were built with the stock tensions springs. New ones, maybe, but stock.

Bob

·
Registered
89 Posts
Old Fart ?

Am I showing my age ? Do the serial numbers change that much between blued and stainless ? Or maybe mines was old stock, but my Monson 715VH has a serial number /0015xx first firearm I ever purchased, and still makes the anual trip to the deer woods, but now adays it has to take turns with my Patriots.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts