1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For years I have used "Hoppes Bench Rest Oil With Weater Guard" for wiping down my guns. This oil is very thin and comes in a black bottle while the regular Hoppes oil comes in a orange bottle and has a higher viscosity. Some one told me it was the same oil as the orange bottle just thinned down. Black bottle states "lubbricating oil with weather guard". I have tried some of the wonder lubes and the one I like best is FP-10 but I have read the formula has been changed. I also have used Bench Rest oil in hard to reach places. A friend of mine has dicovered S&W oil with some sort of fancy lub substance called Cerflon. I worry about any lube you have to shake before using. Has any one out there ever used the old Hoppes oil with weather guard? The old time oils are not as expensive as some of the newer super oils. Thanks for any information you are willing to share.

·
Premium Member
15,657 Posts
'formula has been changed'

Internet rumor started by George, the original owner of MPC.

'I worry about any lube you have to shake before using'

Me, too, which is why I won't use Rem Oil. That plus some little experiments I did.

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
I am only 1 year into semi auto handguns, so I probably shoudn`t speak to their specific requirements, but having owned, shot, maintained, and neglected firearms of all kinds for nearly 38 years....I`ve found that simple
10w or 20w oil has served me and my firearms well. I have had a couple of cases where neglect has yielded a little rust here and there, but that`s it. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
14,937 Posts
Mobil 1, 15W50 is my choice. I wouldn't use organic motor oils on my firearms, but Mobil 1 is the best lube that I've found. Flows and protects down to around -60*F, up to +400*F. If you're shooting in environments that don't meet that parameter, however, I'd suggest looking for some other lube. :dope:

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
WalterGC said:
Mobil 1, 15W50 is my choice. I wouldn't use organic motor oils on my firearms, but Mobil 1 is the best lube that I've found. Flows and protects down to around -60*F, up to +400*F. If you're shooting in environments that don't meet that parameter, however, I'd suggest looking for some other lube. :dope:

I've seen other posts where some prefer to add automatic transmission fluid to Mobil 1 for their firearms. Why do they do that? Maybe for thinning out the Mobil 1???

·
Registered
672 Posts
Quite the opposite from an old fashioned lube is a lube called Militec from Adaptive Molecular Technologies. Claims to bond within metal surfaces.

I use it, but I'm not selling it. I just think it's a good lube.

If you ar interested their website is Militec-1

FWIW

dj

·
Registered
425 Posts
Claims to bond within metal surfaces.
It does, but it is designed to be used as an additive in other base oils. Just look at their automotive section and you will see that the treat rate (8 oz into 5 quarts) is a fraction of what they want you to use on guns (full strength). Take a look at any of the rust tests on the web and Militec will always be at or near the bottom. This is because the chlorine content is too high and it does not have the inhibitors needed for a stand alone product. Gets worse when you get it hot and wet.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Hey guys,
As I said, I'm not selling it, I just use it.

I don't plan on leaving my gun exposed to salt water spray for days nor do I intend to do an eleven week test in the 100/100 environment.

I don't have any surface rust on any of the guns I use it on. I keep them in the safe (which is heated to about 2-5 degrees F above ambient with a RH of 50-60%) and if it rains during a match, I dry my gun off and re-lubricate it.

It may not be rust-proof, but it is a damn good lubricant that won't attract dust or dirt.

JMHO

YMMV

dj

1 - 11 of 11 Posts