1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my essex chopped frame and a parts kit the other day. I was lamenting the non functional grip safety and happened across a cool setup on page 344 of Nonte's Pistolsmithing. It was captioned as a C&M shortening job, it requires a very short MSH, an OACP MS, and a hammer strut that acts as a guide rod for the spring. The Cap and pin are discarded, and a washer fitted to the strut transfers the spring force to the hammer. The benefit to all these one off parts is that the grip safety is full sized and works. Has anyone got one of these throwbacks or ever worked on one ? any help would be appreciated.

* a quick call to Essex revealed that they have a new chopped frame in the pipe that has a functional grip safety, wonder if this is what they are going to?

·
Premium Member
11,596 Posts
sawyer said:
I ...happened across a cool setup on page 344 of Nonte's Pistolsmithing. It was captioned as a C&M shortening job, it requires ...an OACP MS... Has anyone got one of these throwbacks or ever worked on one ?
I think I recall that the C of C&M is Louis Ciamillo, one of the great ones from days gone by. Could be wrong about that. I remember the item you are talking about as it inspired a guy I knew to try that. As I recall it was about 1976, which by the way is long before the OACP came on the scene. Don't know where he or the gun is now, but I do recall that it worked OK though it was a bit rough in appearance. Certainly not up to todays standards of appearance. I've often toyed with the idea of creating a functional grip safety for my Detonics using a cut down OACP mainspring housing and a modified grip safety. But it works well enough as is, so not likely I'll tackle that.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bill, I think i will give it a try, I will start with some donor parts and if i can do it, I ll do it again with an attached magwell MSH. I dont want to butcher a $70 part yet. if it dosent work out I can install the non functional grip safety and a full sized MSH.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,216 Posts
I've always thought one of the Combat Master's most attractive features was its LACK of grip safety; why the interest in doing all that work? I mean, would anyone expend any effort to fabricate a functioning grip safety for any other gun?

·
Premium Member
11,596 Posts
RickB said:
I've always thought one of the Combat Master's most attractive features was its LACK of grip safety; why the interest in doing all that work? I mean, would anyone expend any effort to fabricate a functioning grip safety for any other gun?
Just for the experience/exercize. I like mine sans grip safety too. Unfortunately, right now Dear Old Uncle Sam pretty much gets all of my time, so I won't be doing much more than thinking about gunsmithing projects for the forseeable future. I've got several new frames/slides as well as several complete project guns waiting on me when I can get back to it.

BBBBill
Soldier-Statesman
Taliban Killer :hrm:
Anti-Terrorism Instructor
Raconteur (OK, BS artist) :mummy:
and sometimes Gunsmith :biglaugh:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts