1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm picking up a pre-Brazil Milspec with the NM serial #. It's completely stock, parked with a low round count and from the pics of it, looks like a stainless or chromed barrel. What can you tell me about the older 'Specs ? Thanks!

·
Registered
64 Posts
From what I have read here a NM is a recent serial number designation meaning assembled and fit in the US. If you are really getting a late 80's-late 90's Mil Spec the SA ordnance logo rollstamp will be behind the ejection port. Somewhere in the late 90's they moved it to a location in front of the ejection port. If you are getting a late 80's-early 90's model it will also have vertical slide serrations, the high ejection port and the low mount GI style sights.

From the pics I have seen of the real old ones they originally only had numbers and no prefix. Example= S.N. 1251

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
23,130 Posts
I think a lot more of the fitting/assembly used to be done in the U.S., though.

·
Registered
778 Posts
The regular Mil-Spec is an excellent pistol for the money outta the box... and if you're a "tinkerer" as I am.. excellent base guns. The frames / slides are all forged in Brazil (regardless of serial number) by Imbel, AFAIK. Some finishing work / machining is done in the US, of course. Imbel has an excellent reputation worldwide for the quality of their steel forgings and weapons... ask an experienced FAL shooter... (my Brother-in-law loves 'em, was in the Seals back when we went to Panama)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.