1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post after lurking for quite some time and first off I must say I've accumulated a wealth of knowledge from some of you such as which pistol to carry, which ammo to shoot, and how to carry it. Others have just provided good entertainment.
Here's my problem. Have you ever had a watch with a real nice leather band that you wore all the time no matter the occasion until one day you started to smell something funny then realized it was the leather smelling rather ripe from months or years of sweat? I have, and so I decided that since I work in the A/C industry in south LA. and have ample opportunity to sweat, that I would get a kydex IWB for the summer and a leather IWB for times when sweat wasn't an issue. I was pleased with my set up until I realized that condensation formed on the pistol inside the kydex holster and since I had my shirt tucked over it, it is not always practical to take it out and wipe it down from time to time. No problem, I'll just put a little extra oil on everything....wrong... the oil got runny in the heat and now I have oil and moisture and yes even stainless will rust if not attended to. Leather will obviously help with the condesation but will start stinking in short order and a t-shirt underneath my short sleeve button up will only add to the level of sweat so I don't view that as an option. Keep in mind I climb in peoples attics several times a day and while I'm accustomed to the heat so much that I rarely sweat under normal circumstances, it's hard not to come out of a 140 degreee attic @ 90 relative humidity with even your leather boots dry. Is there something I can treat the leather with that won't leave an oily spot on me or my clothing. Buying a new $100 holster every year will get old quick. What about solving the condensation problem in the kydex?
Thanks

·
Registered
285 Posts
I am not sure but I have worn my own Holster for years now in all types of weather and sweated pants wet but my Gun has never rusted in it , now where its exposed to my arm sweat yes I have to oil it frequently ( 2-3 times a week ) Does my Holster stink , No way . We use a spray on finish that seals the leather and an oil based dye that helps resist moisture from entering the holster in the first place . We make IWB and OWB styles . P.S. I carry daily all year , working , hunting etc. both IWB and OWB depending on the style of dress . Besides you can get two of ours for the price of the others .

------------------
S.L. Caldwell
Leathercrafter
Rafter S Gunleather 417-277-5636
www.raftersgunleather.com

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
try spraying you back and wrist with a non scented antiperspirant. It works fair depending on how much you sweat.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Perhaps I didn't paint a clear picture. What would you do to your holster and pistol if you had to wear them in and out of a sauna all day? An accurate comparison to a Louisiana attic.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I think you are stuck overall. Best options I can think of are treatments to the gun not the holster (though that can't hurt).

Think about getting it double plated, hardchrome over electroless nickle, or something of that sort. (Probably run you $250)

Or, if you can stand them, look at something like a Taurus PT145t (Polymer frame, Ti slide) or Ti series revolver, either Taurus or S&W. (More like $400-600)

Caspian makes a Ti 1911 frame now, but that does not help your slide.

[This message has been edited by telackey (edited 10-04-2001).]

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Tough situation. I don't know that I have any comforting words of wisdom.

I live in the E. Texas sweat zone. Not as bad as Louisiana (I was born and raised there.)

If you must go IWB, then plastic is probably the way to fly. If you go leather, I'd opt for two identical holsters and let one dry while the other is worn. Even so, you may have to accept that with hard use, even quality quipment wears out.

If you can go OWB, but with a covering garment, then I'd still suggest two identical holsters. And resigning to the fact that even with less ardous use, equipment wears out.

Concensation on the gun: I have this even with an OWB holster. Not as much, but still enough to need wiping 3 or 4 times a day.

Some guns are more "stainless" than others. The condensation you get is essentially pure water and is not that rough on a reasonably maintained firearm - as long as you don't let it sit too, too long. Still, the alloy of stainless steel effects both it's amenability to machining and resistance to rust. Therefore different parts of a "stainless" gun may be of different alloys and the parts will be more - or less - susceptable to rust. Some small internal parts may not be stainless at all.

Direct sweat can be a powerful oxidation agent, and the difference between individuals can be substantial. Depending on the individual and the alloy of the gun steel, exposure to direct sweat can result in immediate and noticiable changes in the finish.

Fortunately (for me) my exposure to conditions like you describe is less frequent, but still occures several times a year.

The way I deal with it.

My carry gun (under those conditions) is a Kimber Ultra CDP. The barrel seems to be of a "less" stain resistant alloy than the slide. Internal parts seem to vary.

I strip the gun and get rid of all the grease/oil. Turtle wax the slide, outside of the barrel and other parts. (An old trick from before the days of stainless guns.)

Lubrication is powdered graphite (this assumes you don't carry a tight match grade gun) and for the inside of the barrel, a wet patch with Hoppe's #9 or Breakfree CLP and then one dry patch.

Wipe condensation when it occures. Clean once a week - depending on the exposure and use you may want to re wax. If exposed to direct sweat - expecially if it runs inside - clean daily and re-wax as necessary.

When you re-wax you may need to strip all old wax from the gun. Too many layers in the wrong place can significantly alter critical tolerances.

Hope this helps.

------------------
Jim Fox

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"Turtle wax and graphite" that's a heck of an idea. Thanks for the tip. The weather's starting to change now so I'll have a few months to see what I'm going to do about the holster.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts