1911Forum banner

Older Les Bare feeding problem.

5939 206
New guy looking for help with a Les Bare that won't feed. Bought this gun used , shot it a couple times. Now it won't feed any ammo I have tried. I reload and tried a few different bullets , and factory ammo. It a aluminum frame gun. Stripped it down for a look inside. Found the frame looks kinda beat up. Sent pics to Les and ask what they thought may be the problem. They said the frame needs replaced. Wrote back to ask about having it fixed. They said they no longer make aluminum frames and couldn't help me ? So I ask about putting a steal frame on the gun. Told me that can't be done because the slide had already been fitted to the frame. From what I have read the frame is fit to the slide ? But I don't really know that much about a 1911. Just wonder what you guys may say about the frame ? Looks like it has been shot a lot.
Revolver Everyday carry Wood Computer keyboard Line
Input device Peripheral Space bar Office equipment Finger
Computer keyboard Office equipment Input device Peripheral Writing implement
1 - 20 of 207 Posts

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Guessing the frame could be the cause of the feeding problem. Tried many different mags with no luck. Tried pushing up on a mag while racking the slide. That worked for 2 mags , then wouldn't feed another round ?

· Premium Member
662 Posts
Could you post some pics from the sides looking at the rails and a pic looking down at the top? I can’t make out anything concerning rail condition from that angled photo from the front.
Just because the finish is worn off doesn’t mean your slide won’t slide back and forth with generous lube. About every M9 I played with in the military had less finish than that and they still worked!
I wouldn’t give up just yet if it were mine!

· Administrator
80,269 Posts
That frame shows a lot of use but I don't see anything excessively worn or beat up. Les Baer (NOT bare) doesn't sound too helpful from what you've said so far. They should at least agree to inspect it for you.

And if you do need a steel (NOT steal) frame there is absolutely no reason why the existing slide can't be fitted to it. It sounds like the person you talked to wasn't interested in helping and just wanted to blow you off.

· Administrator
80,269 Posts

· Premium Member
12,026 Posts
Found the frame looks kinda beat up. Sent pics to Les and ask what they thought may be the problem. They said the frame needs replaced. Wrote back to ask about having it fixed. They said they no longer make aluminum frames and couldn't help me ? So I ask about putting a steal frame on the gun. Told me that can't be done because the slide had already been fitted to the frame. From what I have read the frame is fit to the slide ?
Nothing about your frame appears to be beyond some minor repair work. Baer has a reputation for being less than helpful. My personal experience with that goes back to the 80s when he was the custom shop manager at Springfield Armory. If you just want a steel frame that can be done, too. Your best course of action is to first eliminate the easily checked items like replacing old tired springs with fresh ones, closely examining the frame and other components for obvious burrs or damage (finish wear is not damage), trying some known good magazines (those that came with it may be worn out of spec), and the ntake/send it to a known 1911 qualified gunsmith. Heed my emphasis. There many folks that qualify as general gunsmiths with no specific knowledge of 1911s. There are far more folks that THINK that they're gunsmiths and are definitely not. If you are comfortable with posting your general location we can probably recommend a smith that can be trusted. Or you could ship it to one. But be sure to check the smith's creds and reputation among the 1911 community.

· Registered
3,445 Posts
Les Bare, steal frames..... now jambs??? Arrghh, you guys are killing me!

You are the strangest Mod ever, I'm on my phone, late at night and not sitting for the SAT's.

How does one live being so perfect day in and day out :unsure: it must be a terrible curse.

· Administrator
13,345 Posts
To the op .
You say "now it won't feed" . Did it work and then later start having trouble ? If yes , what might have changed to cause it ?

Back in the mid-90's I bought a new Premier II .45 . It had failures to feed from the start . The extractor tension was at fault .
It ran perfect from there on with my wadcutter reloads or any factory . Wish I had that one back .

· Registered
3,123 Posts
upgrade the old mag springs with some new wolff +5 mag springs and new recoil spring and take some 600 to 1000 grit wet sand paper and smooth off the tops of the frame rail area and any other rough spots seen .

Well you have learned a lesson for future firearm purchases & ole LB can be a serious butthead

· Registered
5,927 Posts
You are the strangest Mod ever, I'm on my phone, late at night and not sitting for the SAT's.

How does one live being so perfect day in and day out :unsure: it must be a terrible curse.
Understand that to some people grammar was HAMMERED into us in school and errors are grating. Imagine looking at the sheer number of posts a mod reads as part of his job here. It is cumulative in irritation.
Joe

· Registered
2,951 Posts
It was suggested that you replace the frame yourself, not a bad plan, but you need to know that an 80% frame doesn't have the frame rails cut. Unless you have access to a mill and the ability to use it, well, that won't work very well. If it were me, I would get the gun to function and trade it off. It did function when you bought it right?? That gun is going to be a money pit and a lot of aggravation, best to cut your losses now!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 207 Posts