·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In your guys opinion what's the best 1911 to start with. Quality, fit.. ect

Older Colt
Newer colt
Springfield

I'm looking to either buy a new les baer or buy one of the above and have a smith work it over..

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
This thread has been explored previously, say a year ago.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
In your guys opinion what's the best 1911 to start with. Quality, fit.. ect

Older Colt
Newer colt
Springfield

I'm looking to either buy a new les baer or buy one of the above and have a smith work it over..
Explain "have a smith work it over"?

I'm of the old school, ancient and almost forgotten, concept of buying what you're going to end up with.
You can do that with 1911s today.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol you guys know who I'm asking for. If you've been working on them, have plenty of work day to day. Then your opinion is going to be respected. .

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
All three guns listed would make a good candidate.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
I don't know if I qualify but since only 2 other people have posted a response so far, here goes.

A new production Colt will be the easiest to learn on. The frame will most likely be in spec, the feed ramp is correct, it will have the most reusable parts to work with (saves money) and depending on what model you want it will either be a completely blank canvas to do what you want or you can pick a model that has some of the features you want already.

My second choice would be a newer production Springfield Milspec.

Picking an older Colt could be a little hairy. QC can be hit or miss. Especially when the machinists, polishers and finishers were paid by that days production numbers. :)

·
Administrator
73,375 Posts
Considering Colt's been making them for 103 years "older Colt" covers a lot of ground. Definitely don't use a WW2 or older pistol, as they're too valuable unless already messed up. Lots of gunsmiths like the 1950-1970 pre-70 pistols for builds, but by the mid 1960s quality was just starting to take a dip. The decline was steady through the 1980s and early 90s. Things improved by the early 2000s, but I did have a pistol from around 2000 or so with a trigger track that was misaligned. In my opinion the best one to start with is one of the current-production O1991 pistols, which at around $700 from most online distributors is a great deal, is made with CNC machining, and would be a lot cheaper than an "older Colt" in any flavor.

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
Older smith working on a gun.....

If you want to get a good answer, start with a clear and detailed question.....

What is the objective or purpose for the gun to be modified....? Seems to me that starting with a Les Baer 1911 and having it worked on might be pricey.....:scratch:

Older smiths may have different specialties for different reasons. Jerry Keefer specialized in making very accurate Bullseye competition guns....I am not sure if Jerry is still building new guns, or is just maintaining those that he built for his customers.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The question was plenty clear enough. The objective was spelled out in one of my other posts.. I said nothing about money. So something being expensive is not a issue.

Thanks to those who have actually answered

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
Start with a clear objective for working over a gun.....

The question was plenty clear enough. The objective was spelled out in one of my other posts.. I said nothing about money. So something being expensive is not a issue.
No, the question was not clear enough.....!:confused:

First off, you didn't state your caliber choice....:confused:

Next, you said your obejctive was stated in another post.....:confused: What post?

You didn't define "have a smith work over the gun...." for what purpose....:confused:

You didn't say what the gun is basically going to be used for......concealed carry? Action shooting games...? Precision shooting like Bullseye competition? Police combat shooting like PPC? For hunting? :rock:

Most people look for quality and value.....since you seem to be "loaded" and money doesn't matter, how would we know that you have an unlimited budget if you didn't say this in your post.....?:rock:

When asking for help, being arrogant to people that are trying to understand what you want a gunsmith to do with a basic gun, is counter productive......:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts