1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was browsing through a magazine rack today and saw on the front cover of a gun magazine Guncrafter Industries 50GI Model .50 caliber 1911 style pistol!
http://www.guncrafterindustries.com/model1_50gi.shtml

Went home and looked it up on the web and WOW! Whatta cannon!
Does anyone own one or shot one or even seen one?

The bore on this baby looks like you could stick your head in it! Looks sorta like a Springfield GI model. I bet that thing packs as much a wallop as a 454 Casul round!

:biglaugh:
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
73,386 Posts
Flatiron said:
Was browsing through a magazine rack today and saw on the front cover of a gun magazine Guncrafter Industries 50GI Model .50 caliber 1911 style pistol!

Went home and looked it up on the web and WOW! Whatta cannon!
Does anyone own one or shot one or even seen one?
I guess you don't hit the newsstands that often. A year or so ago the ".50GI" was all over the place on just about every magazine except Cosmopolitan. A month or two ago it was the .45GAP. I wonder what next new "ultimate handgun caliber" is going to hit us this fall season? Stay tuned...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
420 Posts
Also .50GI's energy is nowhere near .454 Casull.
Standard load is 325 grains at 700 fps (I think) and the souped up version is 300 grains at 900 fps (once again, I think).
There are a couple threads here about the caliber and the gun. If I remember correctly, there's even a range report.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
33 Posts
It's been around a while, I remember reading about it for the first time in an article from Guns & Ammo somewhere around the end of 2003 beginning of 2004 (can't remember the exact date on it). IMO the asking price is absolutely ridiculous, why not just get a Desert Eagle .50AE which is LOADS more powerful and probably more reliable and save $1800? :rolleyes: . I'm not impressed..............................ESPECIALLY with the price they're asking for this thing. Pure silliness.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
Greetings,
While the price may seem high, remember who is building the .50 GI.
'Nuff said...


ktmhk53
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,061 Posts
Its not too much when youre the one who has to produce it, but I dont see anything but a novelty market for it. I dont think itll be around very long, and in 10 years we will be talking about it when some newbie buys one at a pawn shop and posts about it on the forum.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
33 Posts
Vic does build good quality 1911's, but it's still WAAAYYY too early in the life of this odd ball cartridge to be commanding almost $3000 for this gun. Not to mention, how many people are out there have a MAJOR pressing need for a .50 1911? :rolleyes: Unnecessary cartridge at an unnecessary price JMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep I get all (well most anyways) my gun news from the web and the scuttlebutt down at my local gunshop and so I don't read the gun mags much and I guess I should have read further because I had missed the price which was $2895.00! You can buy a lot of gun for that much dough!

I agree novelty gun! Now the Alaskan.... now THATS another story! :biglaugh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
773 Posts
Frankly I'm surprised that this gun has worked so many people up into disliking it. After all, the theory goes that 230gr. .45 works for self defense because the round is big, heavy, and fast enough. Well, this is bigger and heavier and just as fast - if you believe the .45 is deadly, you'd pretty much have to conclude that this is moreso.

I agree that the price is high, but considering that the frame, slide, magazine, and barrel are unique to this pistol they have some serious engineering costs to recoup. The parts look like a lot of Ed Brown, so that's ok. And their theory on frontstrap checkering is one I like. While I wouldn't spend 3K on it, I can see why someone would.

The obvious downside is a lack of cheap and high quality factory ammo. But that's true of most odd cartridges. This at least has the advantage the a swap to .45 to shoot the cheap stuff is easy.

This whole business of "I don't own one so it sucks" is just silly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
857 Posts
I hear that rebated rims can be hard to make feed through bolt action rifles. Is this the same for auto-loading pistols?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
33 Posts
This whole business of "I don't own one so it sucks" is just silly.[/QUOTE said:
I don't really recall anybody saying the words "it sucks", I think you're reading too much into it. Not to mention I found the article, it was the October 2004 Guns & Ammo and they did a range test on this gun with one of their experts and found the accuracy was not what one would be expecting from a gun costing almost $3000, they showed a picture of the groupings and let me tell you, it was nothing to get exited about. It's a novelty and nothing more and I can't find ANYBODY that sells that ammo in any of the stores around my neck of the woods. As far as trusting this round to be more reliable in defense than a .45 :hrm: , I don't think so. You won't be seeing this guy trading in his .45 for a .50GI anytime soon. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
773 Posts
shots1911 said:
I don't really recall anybody saying the words "it sucks", I think you're reading too much into it. Not to mention I found the article, it was the October 2004 Guns & Ammo and they did a range test on this gun with one of their experts and found the accuracy was not what one would be expecting from a gun costing almost $3000, they showed a picture of the groupings and let me tell you, it was nothing to get exited about. It's a novelty and nothing more and I can't find ANYBODY that sells that ammo in any of the stores around my neck of the woods. As far as trusting this round to be more reliable in defense than a .45 :hrm: , I don't think so. You won't be seeing this guy trading in his .45 for a .50GI anytime soon. :)
Is there any reason to believe that the accuracy problems weren't ammo or shooter related? This is obviously a reloader-centric cartridge, so a certain amount of the responsibility to produce accurate ammo rests with the owner. Also, several other articles praised its accuracy. Who knows which to believe.

Now, as far as being "reliable" for defense, I'm not sure I follow you. It's reliably heavier, bigger, and just as fast. Sounds like a deadly combination to me. If you're talking about reliable function, I've never heard any bad knews about the M1 in that regard. On the other hand there are LOTS of .45s out there that aren't 100% reliable.

I'm not suggesting that anyone "trade in" their .45 1911s for the .50, but it does seem more than a little silly to have people bashing a gun they've never shot just because it isn't chambered in .45acp. There's room out there for lots of guns in lots of chamberings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
Greetings,
I imagine if the .50GI was priced in the $500-$900 range the average .45 1911 owner would be rushing to trade his average .45 in for one.
Let's face it, its a specialty gun with a specialty cartridge for a special type of 1911 shooter.
'Sorry, but if you're not one, then just move along, there's nothing here for you to see...


ktmhk53
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
33 Posts
The Big D said:
Is there any reason to believe that the accuracy problems weren't ammo or shooter related? This is obviously a reloader-centric cartridge, so a certain amount of the responsibility to produce accurate ammo rests with the owner. Also, several other articles praised its accuracy. Who knows which to believe.

Now, as far as being "reliable" for defense, I'm not sure I follow you. It's reliably heavier, bigger, and just as fast. Sounds like a deadly combination to me. If you're talking about reliable function, I've never heard any bad knews about the M1 in that regard. On the other hand there are LOTS of .45s out there that aren't 100% reliable.

I'm not suggesting that anyone "trade in" their .45 1911s for the .50, but it does seem more than a little silly to have people bashing a gun they've never shot just because it isn't chambered in .45acp. There's room out there for lots of guns in lots of chamberings.

Well, those are your opinions and I give you mine. You say several articles praise it's accuracy?? Please give me the name of the article, where it came from and the date, I gave you my info to back it up, now it's your turn.

Because it's bigger, heavier and fast does that really make it better for defense?? So I guess a .50AE Desert Eagle is a dream come true right?? This cartride has ZERO info on it as far as being used for defense, how well does it penetrate at 700 fps??, is it going to reliably expand the majority of the time??, what are the chances of it penetrating my perp and hitting someone or something behind it when I use the 900 plus fps load?? You see these are things that really could end up being a "deadly combination" as you like to call it. As far as lots of .45's out there being unreliable, well all I can say is my .45 WORKS LIKE A CHAMP, EVERY TIME, that's all that matters to me. And quite frankly, you can say there A LOT of guns out there that are unreliable in many makes and models, no matter if it's a .45 or not. As a matter of fact, my previous gun was a HK USP .40 that was sent to HK in Virginia 4 times and they still weren't able to fix correctly, and HK's are supposed to be ROCK SOLID for reliability.

Once again, if you like it so much, go throw $3000 down on one if it makes you happy. I heard your opinions, now you heard mine.
 
1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top