1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at my favorite LGS yesterday, had just walked in, said hello to the guys, laughed when the owner said “I smell a hippie” as he always does. My best buddy was there looking at a pistol at one of the glass cases. I said some smart Alec comment to him about him getting body parts waxed and he whispers “check out that guy with the High Point” There in all his glory was a guy wearing an OWB Uncle Mikes synthetic holster with a 9mm High Point, and not just any HP, no, it had custom synthetic wood like grips made from the same style material that the 1911a1 military guns had. Had a dapper looking Andy Capp hat on too! He was looking for a new carry gun that wasn’t quite as big as his HP. It was like seeing a UFO for the first time, or maybe a big foot. I mean we have all heard they exist but never thought I’d see one myself.

Anyway, I left before I busted out laughing, nothing against a HP but exposed? :eek::eek:

·
Administrator
74,696 Posts
Well, at least until a Hi-Point is suddenly shoved in your face, and the laughing abruptly stops.

A lot of people are drawn to Hi-Points because of their price. A lot of people are also drawn to cheap 19" lawnmowers with paper-thin sheet metal decks and bolt-on wheels. Both will do the job just fine until you can afford something better.

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
That might be all he could afford? Maybe he will buy a Nighthawk now that he has some stimulus?

That said, High point can be very dangerous in the right hands even with plywood grips.

·
Premium Member
5,263 Posts
Still got mine

Was at my favorite LGS yesterday, had just walked in, said hello to the guys, laughed when the owner said “I smell a hippie” as he always does. My best buddy was there looking at a pistol at one of the glass cases. I said some smart Alec comment to him about him getting body parts waxed and he whispers “check out that guy with the High Point” There in all his glory was a guy wearing an OWB Uncle Mikes synthetic holster with a 9mm High Point, and not just any HP, no, it had custom synthetic wood like grips made from the same style material that the 1911a1 military guns had. Had a dapper looking Andy Capp hat on too! He was looking for a new carry gun that wasn’t quite as big as his HP. It was like seeing a UFO for the first time, or maybe a big foot. I mean we have all heard they exist but never thought I’d see one myself.

Anyway, I left before I busted out laughing, nothing against a HP but exposed? :eek::eek:
My 1st semi-auto were High-Points, due to price. A .45ACP for me and a .380ACP for the Mrs. Both big, soft-shooting, accurate and [in low-volume] reliable. For home defense, the purpose for which they were purchased ca 1990, they are well suited. For concealed carry, I’d need a little red wagon or something. Wouldn’t OC them; not with everybody carrying a camera these days.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Never look down and demean someone’s firearms. They may not be your cup of tea, but he may be very skilled and competent with that HP and out gun some idiot with a $3000 pistol.

·
Premium Member
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, Johnny, you make fun of Downs Syndrome kids too?
:biglaugh:

Don’t make me pull out all the threads that some of our members here railed on the Uncle Mike fit all holster comments . It wasn’t any one thing, it was the culmination of choices that pushed it over the edge. Man, I feel like I just got Munsoned

·
Banned
13,564 Posts
I guess I missed the humor in your story.

Is this a location joke, where ya had to be there???

·
Registered
24,895 Posts
This is oftentimes the case.

Never look down and demean someone’s firearms. They may not be your cup of tea, but he may be very skilled and competent with that HP and out gun some idiot with a $3000 pistol.
To demean someone that is on a tight budget is tacky at best. Snobbery is pretty indicative of a pretty small intellect. I remember my father telling me that as he was attending Princeton university on the GI bill. A lot of his classmates upon finding out that his father was a tool and die maker immediately considered this as a valid reason to snub him, despite the fact that he graduated two years early with a masters degree in mathematics in the same time period that most of his classmates were just graduating with bachelors degrees.

·
Premium Member
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess I missed the humor in your story.

Is this a location joke, where ya had to be there???
Yes, I guess ya had to have been there.

·
Registered
996 Posts
After retiring I worked p/t at a gun store/shooting range, mainly as a RSO. One day I walked in and one of the smiths was sighting in a laser sight on a High Point and it wasn’t going well for him. I finally looked at him and said “close enough” and he agreed. How much fine tuning can you do with a High Point.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Well, I don't see anything wrong with owning a High Point. In a worst case scenario, if you had to use one to defend yourself, you won't feel bad when the police take it from you as evidence until everything is settled. In some locales you may never get it back either. The state destroys all guns taken in. Just think how you would feel if they took your super nice $2,500 handgun in as evidence after a shooting. So besides cost there is a upside to owning one in this case.

But having a good holster is a hugely needed item, those super cheap holsters just want to invite some thug to try and take your gun from you. I prefer concealed carry to prevent being more of a target.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I wouldn't look down on him for the Hi-Point. I had a Uncle Mikes holster long ago. It was what I had when I decided to start carrying. It didn't take long to decide I needed something better. There is a learning curve involved in all of this.

·
Administrator
74,696 Posts
Actually I'm a hundred times more concerned about his use of an Uncle Mike's holster than I am the Hi-Point. Collapsible fabric holsters are only good for holding a weapon if you keep mostly still. Any physical activity or change of your posture and you'll be hearing a loud clatter on the ground... at best.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
President Reagan, James Brady, and the DC Metro Police Officer were shot by John Hinckley with a Roehm RG14 .22 lr revolver about the cheapest Saturday Night Special. He used an explosive .22 lr round called the Devastator that was available to buy at many gun shops.

Hinckley fires 6 shots rapid fire and almost killed the president, a LEO, and James Brady, Regan’s Press Secretary. WITH A CHEAP SATURDAY NIGHT SPECIAL, I’m not by any means at all a firearms expert but I’ve shot a Roehm RG14 and it was a very cheaply made revolver. High Points would be considered a mechanical work of art compared to the RG14!

I learned a long time ago not to make fun of someone because of their individual circumstances. That guy and his High Point? Probably a better shot with it then about 1/3of the people on gun forums!

·
Premium Member
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Guys, this guy was not dressed as a poor man. He was very prim and proper. He seemed well educated and was well spoken.
I have no problem with High Points. I’m hoping to come across a used HP 45 or 10mm rifle. My biggest complaint is lack of 20-30 round mags. I have often pointed people on a really tight budget to purchase one rather than an old star or similar pistol that has no warranty or perhaps poor parts availability. They have a very good warranty, they are 100% American sourced and built. It was just some musings, again, I guess you just had to be there.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Good to know we have elitest’s here willing to look down their nose at others, maybe not as fortunate as themselves,,,, had to look to see if I was on another more exclusive 1911 site. Sorry !

1 - 20 of 77 Posts