1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just window shopping at Bass Pro over lunch, and found a bunch of Franklin Arsenal VibraPrimes on the rack! They started making them again!!!

They were going for $200 if you could find one a couple of years ago. Now $54 new :rock:

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
Yes, they've been out all year, my friend.
We spread the word about 8 months ago.
Do a search here on Reloading Bench. :)

Go knock yourself out, but several of us found
that quality control ain't what it used to be.
You might have to send them back to FA
and get a new one until it works.

The first one I bought in May/June only fed LP.
It wouldn't do SP at all. The replacement works better
but still not great. Oh well. Maybe better than nothing.

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
Vibra prime

I ordered one early this year, and the first one didn't feed SP primers. I called Frankford Arsenal and they sent me a complete new unit. I now have the old one for spare parts. The new one worked fine.

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
When I first saw all his OMG it occurred to me that maybe
Obama resigned his office, the shelves were suddenly
full of powder and primers, and the Govt was giving away
22 rimfire ammo by the bulk box.

But, no. It was just a vibraprime. :(

Well, back to what we were doing...
:biglaugh:

·
Registered
648 Posts
Money well spent. I bought one soon after midway started selling them the first time
my first one didn't work very well with some brand LPPs and most/all SPPs. I wrote them, they sent a new one to my address without further question.

I do say though, through some trial/error/reaming/sanding/adjustments, I got the old one working reasonably well. so now I kinda have two. perfect? no. but a lot better for sure.

·
Premium Member
3,255 Posts
To be honest they aren't worth the price tag. I'm on my fourth unit as the first one wouldn't feed sm primers at all and would barely feed lg primers, second one the motor completely stopped working after 400 primers, the third one started having motor issues where it would slow down and speed up....and lastly this fourth one works half way decent but it's only a week old :D. If this one craps out I'm done and will save for a Dillon unit or peck by hand. I will give them credit though that they replaced each one without hesitation.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, since I'm late to the game, maybe they had early batch issues. Mine works great for SP (I don't use LP at the moment).

My only issue is that I'll need to feed it directly into the press. The Hornady tubes don't like to be loaded from the wrong end (and they'll be upside down, anyways).

Still, mine loads 100 in about 30 seconds. Well worth the money, IMO.

Oh yeah, sorry for the title, but I thought it appropriate given the shrieking like a little girl I did in the isle at the store when I saw it. Got some looks :)

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Wow, since I'm late to the game, maybe they had early batch issues. Mine works great for SP (I don't use LP at the moment).

My only issue is that I'll need to feed it directly into the press. The Hornady tubes don't like to be loaded from the wrong end (and they'll be upside down, anyways).

Oh yeah, sorry for the title, but I thought it appropriate given the shrieking like a little girl I did in the isle at the store when I saw it. Got some looks :)
It's OK.....My wife says I get excited about the stupidest things..!!
They are all "Man" things...she doesn't understand..!! ( Gadgets are cool )
Just like I don't get excited when the Palais Royal store sends a sales paper to her.......:)

Don2

·
Registered
1,500 Posts

I do the same thing. Load a 100 directly in the press.I know I could modify my tubes but have decided against it until I know the thing will work.I believe you can just trim the plastic feed lip instead of cutting the tube but have yet to try it. I wanna contact Hornady for some replacement tips first.

I cut a flip when I saw them at my LGS a few months ago too. Now I see them everywhere and it doesn't look like they are sailing to good.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
When I first saw all his OMG it occurred to me that maybe
Obama resigned his office, the shelves were suddenly
full of powder and primers, and the Govt was giving away
22 rimfire ammo by the bulk box.

But, no. It was just a vibraprime. :(

Well, back to what we were doing...
:biglaugh:
The Government is giving away 22 rimfire bulk boxes when you sign up for Obamacare? :rock:

·
Registered
14,940 Posts
So, I'm either overly endowed with mechanical prowess, or I'm the luckiest man on Earth! ;) I'm still using my original Vibra-Prime, that's loaded a couple-hundred thousand primers for me. I don't have trouble with any size primers.

I've found the Vibra-Prime to work great with Dillon tubes.

I went ahead and bought a couple of extras @ about $38 each, just to keep as spares.

Rule 1: Don't use those bayonet connectors....86 'em. Hold the tube up into the machine...it'll kind of "click" in, when you're holding it correctly.

If I had to peck at primers on a flip tray, I'd give up loading...seriously...I really would!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am kinda like WalterGC, I have had mine for years. I use Dillon tubes, and I have had minimal negative issues. I cringe at the thought of loading tubes the old, manual way.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Yup, still have the one I bought in 2005. Have literally loaded hundreds of thousands. Most LP.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I cut the top 1\4" off the top of my hornady tubes and keep them in the press. I fill the vibraprime tubes and then transfer the primers into the Hornady tube which is already in the press

·
Registered
380 Posts
I must be really cheap!?, I can't see spending that much $ to save a whole minute of my time??

·
Registered
648 Posts
If you can do all the steps to fill primer tubes for a 500 load session in 5 minutes, you are much faster than myself and you have much better patience than myself. I'd lose my mind.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts