1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(I originally posted this on The High Road)

Here in Indiana, the law doesn't state anything about concealment, it is just the prudent thing to do.
Here are my experiences:

1. I was in a bookstore in a nearby town that had an LEO there for security. When I went for my wallet to pay for my items he saw my gun and said 'Packin' heat?'. He didn't even ask to see the permit.

2. I had a migrane and went to the local drugstore to get relief. I noticed a 'reaction' from the pharmacist. I then saw a friend that I've known for years. We spoke briefly and I went to the check-out. The cashier didn't say anything, but the cop who worked security for the store. Motioned for me to come to him and asked if I had a permit for 'that thing'. I had just got up from a nap and went right out to the store without concealing.
Carelessness.

That incident probably emboldened me for this one.

3. Carrying open, I went to a local fast food joint for dinner with my wife and four kids and got no reactions. We ran into an FBI agent that I know and he asked me if I was working in LE or security. My response being negative he asked why I carried. I explained where I worked at that time and he comforted my wife's embarassment with "I'd carry there too".

Again, not the wisest thing to do.

4. Much later, I was in that same resturant carrying concealed when I noticed that a lady was 'printing'. I noticed that her t-shirt said something 'Indiana State Police' something. We made eye contact repeatedly through dinner. I was worried that she'd confront me. Then, I overheard her tell the man she was with "people who carry always notice other people who carry". I held the door for her and my wife on the way out. No mention of it either way.

PLEASE SEE BELOW FOR WHAT TO DO IN A TRAFFIC STOP.

5. Traffic stop. Indiana State Police. I advised the officer that I was carrying, handed him my DL and gun permit and put my hands back on the steering wheel. He returned from his vehicle to give me a warning and thanked me for 'being upfront' with him.

6. Traffic stop. Indiana State Police. I advised the officer that I had a pistol and he asked me to hand it to him. He returned to my vehicle with a warning ticket, thanked me for "being honest" and said that he secured the weapon (a1911) and asked me not to reload it until he pulled away.

I probably should have been ticketed both times. I haven't had a ticket for several years.

7. Gun show. Sheriff's Deputy securing guns with cable ties. I walked in with my SA 1911's slide locked back and the guy raved to my three sons that their Dad was a 'smart guy'. He then showed my boys an 'idiot jar' where people left one in the chamber when they handed it over to be secured.

8. A year ago when I inadvertantly mentioned that I carry a gun at a church Sunday School Class, four other guys spoke up and said that they carry. 1 Park ranger, 1 Deputy Sheriff, 1 Maytag Repairman (hehe) and one other ordianary guy.

WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU ARE STOPPED BY THE POLICE.
Provided by Valparaiso Police Department's Citizen's Police Academy.

1. Immediately pull to the right side of the roadway.

2. If it is dark, turn your interior light on (Helps officer see into vehicle).

3. Have your driver's license, registraion (and I suggest) gun permit
ready.

4. Keep your hands on the steering wheel at all times so the officer can see them.

5. If carrying a weapon, let the officer know what type and where it is located. DO NOT REACH FOR THE WEAPON!!!

6. After being released, fasten your seat belt and carefully merge back into traffic.

Above all respect the police. While there are certainly a few bad cops -human nature- they have a job to do- for us- and are to be honored. BTW, fight the ticket in court if you wish, not on the side of the road.
Garry

·
Registered
877 Posts
Life must different way in the north by Valpo . . .

Down here in the middle part of the state, most cops I know really don't care to be told you're carrying. First all, they assume everyone is armed. If you don't do something stupid, it's not an issue.

I understand the rationale for offering the information, but I disagree with it 100%, except where it's mandated by law (such as when we're in Michigan).

I'm surprised an Indiana state cop disarmed you without a compelling reason to do so. Was it a young guy? It's not typical behaviour.

Have you ever been stopped and had them go fishing by asking if you had any weapons in the car? I don't think that happens very often here either.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is different here.

rhino465 said:
Life must different way in the north by Valpo . . .

Down here in the middle part of the state, most cops I know really don't care to be told you're carrying. First all, they assume everyone is armed. If you don't do something stupid, it's not an issue.

I know it!!!

I think that people are 'spooky' here because we are really part of the Chicago Metropolitan area. The people here get Chicago media and believe it. I know what life is like in the better part of Indiana -among other states. Even in Downstate Illinois, attitudes change about guns. I know people who carry in Central Illinois and the cops know it because they know them and all is well even though it's illegal. It' got to be the media.
Yes, it was a younger cop. Probably from NWI.

Garry

·
Registered
877 Posts
Re: It is different here.

geeman said:
I know it!!!

I think that people are 'spooky' here because we are really part of the Chicago Metropolitan area. The people here get Chicago media and believe it. I know what life is like in the better part of Indiana -among other states. Even in Downstate Illinois, attitudes change about guns. I know people who carry in Central Illinois and the cops know it because they know them and all is well even though it's illegal. It' got to be the media.
On the bright side, you're in Orville Redenbacher Country! :D

Yes, it was a younger cop. Probably from NWI.
The problem is that he probably felt all safe and cozy once he had your gun. I'll bet it never crossed his little pinheaded mind that even if you take a gun from someone sitting in a car, they might have another or even several more within easy reach.

And quit speeding so they won't have excuse to go fishing! :biglaugh:

I think we all should start carrying openly more often. People who don't think about these things need to get used to seeing otherwise law abiding citizens carrying guns and obviously not hurting anyone.

I do it frequently around west central Indiana when I'm on my way to or from a USPSA/IPSC or IDPA match. Most people don't notice and those that do rarely say anything. In the last few years, I've received three comments and one of those was curiosity about what kind of gun I was carrying. One was "Hey, you're carrying a gun," (without any emotion), and the most recent was a guy who asked me if I was planning on shooting someone. In each case, I took the time to be friendly and polite and offer to answer their questions. Curiosity seems to be the common reaction rather than fear or panic, and that's a really good sign for the people of Indiana.

I have a couple of shooting buddies who get nervous when I get out of the truck without a cover garment, though. When I'm with them, I'll sometimes untuck my shirt or throw on the trusty "HEY! LOOK! I'M CARRYING A GUN!" vest to make them feel more at ease.

I won't do it in a crowd though! Then it become a retention problem. I usually won't do it in the more urban areas such as Indy, either.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
In nearly 25 years of concealed carry, I've never been "made" by anyone (to my knowledge). My uncle was "made" (great word) once by a cop, and he just asked him if he had a permit for it. My uncle said, "of course," and that was that. He didn't even ask to see the permit.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Hahaha interesting stuff guys ;)

I haven't been made yet, but I have only been carrying for about 4 years or so..... Hopefully I won't ever be ;) But maybe by the time I get as old as you papaws I will have a story about it ;) :)

Also I don't think I recall ever spotting anyone carrying either yet...... But its a matter of time I suppose.

ohh ya and good info about being pulled over geeman thanks :)

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I saw a guy in the movie theatre lobby with a stainless revolver stuffed in his belt in front, not very well concealed under his jacket. Didn't seem to be trying too hard to hide it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
culture is a funny thing and you need to know/understand the culture in which you live. i grew up in east texas, i'm much older than most of you boys so this was alooong time ago.
texas had no chl til just a few years ago. almost everyybody i knew, ladies included had some type of handgun in the glove compartment. texas did have a law which gave you the right to carry in a vehicle if you were crossing two county lines, with some other variables involved.
that said, most folks had one with em all tha time. police, sheriff, dps knew this. we never had any problem, they didn't ask and we didn't tell.
i carried, in a vehicle and on my person for 40 years without incident. been stopped too many times to count and never been asked.
i was reluctant to even get the chl but living in houston i figured that it would be better as the culture here has changed.
in the old days a sheriff would stand a good chance of gettin defeated at the next election if he started enforcing sum of them laws.
btw your susposed to present your chl with your dl if stopped.
blessings

·
Registered
230 Posts
spotting concealed carriers...

First of all,hello Mr.Layton,im also in S.E Tx.(Beaumont area). I get to see a few CC people at my job,im a Security/Camera-Monitor operator for a major retail store.When things are a little slow,i like to look for "printing".Also,i have noticed that lots of people MAY be carrying in bags/backpacks/fannypacks etc,as opposed to on their person.I have only seen 2 100percent confirmed CC firearms while at work,but the printing or outline of a pistol ,i see everyday.Just thought i would share that with you guys,as looking at possible CCer's helps pass my shift.

·
Registered
112 Posts
betcha do get ta see a bunch of stuff like that. you really do need to watch how you conceal-as one poster said people who carry tend to notice these kind of things.
blessings

·
Registered
83 Posts
CC has its definite advantages...especially in a surprize situation, but I wish I could open carry 24/7....just more damn comfortable.....for me atleast

·
Registered
308 Posts
Open carry is a good way to get dead. We carry as a defensive measure and part of that defense is suprise. If the bg knows you are carrying, you run the risk of getting shot beforehand. If it is concealed, you look non threatening and attract less attention. I'm not opposed to open carry, but I carry concealed every day and I make sure that it stays concealed for safety. Picture an armed robbery in progress at a bank...they see your gun...in the holster. What do you think comes next? You can't beat someone to the draw that has already drawn. But if it is concealed, you have an advantage in that nobody even knows you have it. You could step in (Although not usually a good idea) or you could just blend in and not start a firefight in a room full of people. Concealed is the way to go for safety.

·
Registered
54 Posts
FedDC said:
You can't beat someone to the draw that has already drawn. .
I wouldn't bet my life on that. It depends on your reaction time vs. their draw/ fire speed. Action beats reaction most times.

·
2,953 Posts
We are drifting into tactics and such and it seems like the "legal" portion of the discussion has ended.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.