1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody had bad (or good) experiences auctioning off a gun on one of the on-auctions? I need to reach a large audience, and have used on-line auctions for other items. I understand about requiring guaranteed funds, granting inspection periods, open communication, needing my dealer to ship it to their dealer, etc. Just wondering if there are any hidden traps to beware of.

Any experiences or advice appreciated, it could be a whole other world I suspect.

Thanks - Brad

·
Registered
951 Posts
Hello, I sold a gun on Gunbroker.com, very easy, easy as ebay(ARGGGGGGGGGG) the buyer was a FFL holder so he picked up the gun and I did not have to fart around with the shipping. I am sure others will chime in on the shipping pitfalls.

Roy

·
Administrator
73,799 Posts
A lot of us have done it. I have personally sold most firearms I (stupidly) disposed of on either Gunbroker or Auction Arms. The only two bad experiences I had both involved selling AR rifles. In the first a potential buyer wanted me to sell it face-to-face without paperwork, and when I refused he went ballistic on me, calling me a closet anti-gunner and such. :rolleyes: The second sale involved a character whom I concluded through our e-mail correspondence was even less mentally stable, so I refused to sell it to him in the end (and got Auction Arms to back me up, once they read his e-mails). Aside from those two adventures every transaction where I bought and sold stuff has gone smoothly.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Buying is somewhat easier as you can look at the seller's feedback before deciding to place a bid or not...I've sold a few things on both GunBroker and Auction Arms..only one issue one time... when the auction ended, I emailed the winning bidder but never heard from him again...

As for listing stuff..be as accurate and honest as possible..that goes a long way...good photos certainly help to sell your item...and always encourage potential bidders to email you with any questions...

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
only one issue one time... when the auction ended, I emailed the winning bidder but never heard from him again...
Did you have to pay the commission at that point or were you able to reason with the auction site? I guess it might just be the cost of doing business.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I've bought and sold dozens of firearms on either AuctionArms or GunBroker. As long as you follow their basic guidelines, honestly appraise and describe the article being sold, answer all questions in a timely fashion, and stay within all state and federal laws, it's a simple and basically hassle-free procedure...

Doing business with highly rated buyers and sellers makes everything move along smoothly. By researching the BUYER and/or SELLER, you'll bypass most problems. Also, a phone call can eliminate problems as well versus ongoing emails...good luck

ColtM1911A1

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I've sold quite a few as well with no problems. Included in the add though is the statement " I reserve the right to cancel this sale, regardless of bids at any time, with no requirement to sell ".

I too have only had 1 bad experience where the guy wanted no paper trails, since this was a face to face, I simply told him i needed to look at his DL to verify age, and remembered his number, and after he left put it in my logbook along with his cars license number.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I wouldn't buy a gun unless I held it in my hands and looked at it first. I guess that leaves me out of buying guns on the internet. I just have to look harder for the ones I want.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Excellent experiences here... I only do FFL to FFL. Protects the buyer and seller. After 30 years of shipping guns the USPS finally lost one last month.. FFL to FFL made the coordination with the BATFE and the Postmaster pretty easy...

·
Registered
613 Posts
I have bought 4 guns off of gunbroker and have been very happy with all of them. Actually one was bought from a member of Sigforum of the 4. I just make sure the gun has good detailed pictures and the person has good feedback. But with all of them, the gun was exactly as described and all have functioned flawlessly. Also, from a buyer's standpoint I saved paying the 6% FL sales tax because they were all out of state and that balanced out the the $30 FFL fee that I had to pay and shipping.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts