1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a very slightly used Milspec, At least I think it is, The frame and slide are diffrent colors. slide is black and the frame is a OD green, Whatdo i have here? it has a NM serial # and shows very little use bought it today for $375 including tax. Slide/ frame fit is tight trigger not bad should shoot well, has three dot fixed sights. just kinda odd that the slide is black and the frame is OD green.

·
Registered
549 Posts
OD Green or Grey?

Most SA Milspecs produced in the last few years are two toned parkerized, although I'd describe them as grey (frame) and black (slide). That's normal. Are you sure that isn't what you have? Most of the ones with an NM serial number also have a stainless steel barrel and bushing, if that helps identify it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Springfield used to produce that color combination (parked slide, NATO Green Black T frame) in the Milspec. I think they discontinued that color combination in 2004.

As XMP says, with a NM ser # it most likely has a stainless one-piece barrel and stainless bushing.

That's a pretty good price for it depending on condition and number of rounds through it.

----
Edit: If I had to guess I would say that they discontinued that color combination in the Milspec line because of the plans to make the MC Operator in that color combination.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/images/pistols/PX9105MLLarge.jpg

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
XMP,mheck27,
Thanks for the help, Yes it does have a stainless barrel bushing and a stainless barrel, the colors are pretty close to the pic mheck posted. It had black plastic grips which I've since changed with a spare set I had. The pistol shows zero wear anywhere. I think the person who had it last may have shot wax bullets, (loaded one at a time) through it. The reason I say this is because when I first looked at it in the store, and field stripped it, I noticed the bbl had a waxy residue in it,very dirty, but the frame, and inside the slide there was no powder residue from being fired. When I cleaned the bbl, It was spotless, no copper residue, no leading, nothing to indicate it had ever had a bullet run through it Now, will S.A.'s lifetime warranty still be in effect as I bought it used? When I bought it, It had no case, spare mag, instruction booklet, or key for the saftey lock, Anyone know if S.A. would be good enough to send me at least the key for the saftey lock? I will have to admit the quality of this pistol is a lightyear ahead of the last Milspec I had, about 5-6 years ago, that one shot low, was poorly deburred (I sliced my fingers on the slide serrations) and the bottom corners of the slide could double for a box cutter. It was, however, very reliable This one shows none of that, and fit and finish look very good. I'm taking it out tommorrow and see what she'll do at the range, extractor tension was checked tonight, and is very good, this pistol gives every indication that it should function well. I've got a variety of ammo to shoot through it, and test drive it. We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
??? on Milspec......Update...

Took it out to the range yesterday with 3 boxes of my handloads 4.2 gr titegroup with a 200gr LSWC oal 1.247. Shot all three boxes, not a problem, no faliures to feed, fire, eject, of any kind. Pistol functioned perfectly, seemed to shoot a little low.Windage seems to be on. Targets used were pop cans at whatever range they landed at after being hit. It could be me, as I'm used to shooting a Sig P-220 or my series I Kimber Classic custom. Both shoot better than the milspec, But I feel this can easily be improved upon. I'm also not used to the "short" trigger, Checked the BBl bushing, OD of the bbl bushing and ID of slide are very close within .001 of each other but, OD of bbl and ID of bushing have a diffrence of .005, HMMM, maybe a EGW bbl bushing?? What to you think. I'd like to leave it pretty much plain-jane just shoot a little better I really like this pistol, I'm going to take it out again, I feel it will improve the more I shoot it, and get more comfortable with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.