1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of questions on mag extensions for my remington 870 express.

I have heard that to add a mag extension on the 'newer' express models, you have to drill out some tabs on the inside of the mag tubes. How 'new' is 'newer'? Mine was purchased in the early 90s - is it affected?

If so, this makes it impossible to go back to using the standard length magazine, correct? I also use this shotgun for hunting, so I'd need a way to comply with laws that restrict total capacity to 3 rounds. Any suggestions on how to do this with the extension in place?

Thanks,
Brian

· Registered
5,165 Posts
To determine if your gun has the "dimples", just unscrew the magazine cap and look into the magazine tube.
If you see a plastic plug with large "teeth" on the end, you have dimples.

If you see a split steel cup-washer, you don't have dimples.

Several choices here.
There are ways to convert an Express back to a standard length magazine.

However, the simplest method would be to buy a length of 1/2" dowel rod at the hardware store and insert it into the magazine tube, inside the magazine spring.

This is how all shotguns are blocked for hunting migratory birds like ducks and geese.

Federal law limits the magazine to 2 rounds, so many sporting guns come from the factory with a plastic or wood limiter either already installed or in the box.

All you have to do is cut the dowel to a length that will prevent loading more than two rounds into the magazine and round off the ends slightly.

The only difference is, your gun with an extended magazine would require a longer dowel rod than normal.

· Registered
2,654 Posts
jedibrain said:
...If so, this makes it impossible to go back to using the standard length magazine, correct?...
After you remove the dimples in the mag tube you can convert it to use the old style detent (still used on the Police models) This requires installing a spring and plunger into the barrel lug and a Police magazine cap. This has detents on the inside of the rim that work with the spring loaded plunger. Remove your magazine cap and check the front of the barrel lug. If there is a small hole drilled in it, installing the spring loaded plunger just requires the two parts and the swaging tool sold by Brownells.

Like dfariswheel said, you can restrict just about any tubular shotgun magazine by installing a piece of dowel that is cut to the appropriate length.

· Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info. I do have the new style racheting cap.

The barrel does have a hole drilled there on the front of the lug though. I've been shopping brownells, and can find the detent, detent spring, but no swaging tool, or police model cap, or spring retainer.

Can you help me with part numbers if its not too much trouble?

I had thought of using dowel rod, but I would like the ability to return to the classic look as well. It doesn't look like the parts investment for the detent style cap is going to be big, so I may do just that.

Thanks,
Brian

· Registered
2,654 Posts
The staking tool is part of the 870 armorer's kit that Brownells sells but you can buy it separately, part # 080-870-205. I'm pretty sure that 767-253-750 is the part number for the magazine cap. It's listed as a "standard" magazine cap while the Express magazine cap is listed as "magazine cap, internal ratchet." The mag spring retainer is 767-916-570.

· Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks.

So, how does the new retainer stay in the tube? the detent plunger only holds the cap in place, right? Or do you have to retain the spring yourself until the cap is screwed down?

Brian

· Registered
5,165 Posts
The old style spring retainer is a steel split "Cup-Washer".

This is installed by putting the spring in the magazine tube, then pushing the steel retainer down into the magazine.

The spring retainer goes into the magazine tube cupped end DOWN.

Friction holds the spring retainer in place quite tightly.
The magazine cap then just screws on and is held in place by the spring loaded plunger on the barrel support ring.

Here's a link to Remington's web site where you can get a online owner's manual.

This shows clearly how the cup-washer spring retainer is installed.
http://www.remington.com/support/parts/parts_schematics.asp

· Registered
2,654 Posts
Get thee the Good Book! (Kuhnhausen of course). It's probably way more information than you need but it covers everything for the 870/1100/11-87.

Here's a trick for installing the old style mag spring retainer: Set the shotgun on its butt, drop the follower into the mag tube followed by the mag spring. The mag spring will be sticking out the front end of the mag tube. Get a large phillips screwdriver, insert the tip into the center hole of the mag spring retainer and then into the end of the mag spring. Compress the mag spring with the grip of the screwdriver and the shank of the screwdriver will guide the spring and keep it from shooting out to the side. Squeeze the mag spring retainer slightly to get it started into the mag tube and push/tap it into the tube until it's flush with the end.

Here's another tidbit of info: for a standard-length magazine tube, the Police mag spring is stronger than the standard spring (part# 767-000-379)

· Registered
32 Posts
I have an 870 express w/ a mag extension and for hunting. Grind the dimples down to allow proper function of the follower w/ the mag extension. Now if you want to convert back to factory status put the original thingamajig w/ the teeth back in the mag tube and put your end cap back on. That's what I did and it works fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.