1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.caspianarms.com/specials.php

does anybody have first hand knowledge of what exactly is blemmed on these xr kits or what the mark on the slide will be? looks like a tremendous deal for caspian equipment. while we are at it how good is the caspian external extractor? we all know what the deal with kimber is(cause mine didnt work until they replaced it with an ie slide) the caspian xr look smore like the smith and wesson that people say works well.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do the sigs still have problems or is this a really good deal from caspian?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
http://www.caspianarms.com/specials.php

does anybody have first hand knowledge of what exactly is blemmed on these xr kits or what the mark on the slide will be? looks like a tremendous deal for caspian equipment. while we are at it how good is the caspian external extractor? we all know what the deal with kimber is(cause mine didnt work until they replaced it with an ie slide) the caspian xr look smore like the smith and wesson that people say works well.
I bought one at Camp Perry; AFAIK it's not a blem but leftovers from a contract with SIG.

There no markings on the slide. The external extractor has worked fine so far.

·
Registered
804 Posts
It actually doesn't strike me as being all that great of a deal-the last time I checked, street price of a new GSR XO was around $750 or so; With the Caspian "deal" at $450, you still have to get a barrel (they also have Storm Lake GSR surplus for $75, as I recall), and then you still have to get sights, springs, pins, small parts, grips, etc. And THEN you (or your gunsmith) get to put it together....Unless you really want a gunsmithing project, I think that you'd be better of passing-or at least trying to negotiate a better price.

There have been many, many threads on the Caspian parts contribution regarding the GSSR. Beware of potential dimensional difficulties on the frames, according to knowledgeable sources as discussed on the forums...

Best, Jon

·
Registered
73 Posts
I put one of these kits together about a year ago. I ordered all the other needed parts and up it together myself no problems. Everything fit perfect. I have never built one before. The hardest part was filing down the plate used to make it series '70 compliant. Don't know if they come pre-sized now. If I had the money I'd have ordered another one already. I hope their still around when I'm ready to build it's twin.

I could of bought a Sig GSR (who these where originally made for) for less than I spent on my build, but I choose to go with hand picked name brand high quality parts, and am happy with it. This build shoots GREAT!

·
Registered
578 Posts
The dealer / law enforcement price is less than $450. I'm sure the barrel has a little reduction on the price, too, but I didn't ask ($75 barrel, $25 bushing).

Given that information, what do you all think about doing a build? How "drop-in" are the drop-in barrels? Do the kits come with the frame and slide pre-fit? In other words, exactly how much gunsmithing will have to be done? I figure I'll use one of Cylinder and Slide's drop-in trigger kits (which always require a little smithing) for the ignition system.

I understand that a true custom gun is completely hand fit on every piece...I already have one of those. This gun would be similar to an off-the-rack piece in my estimation, and I'd skip all the cosmetic extras like checkering under the trigger guard, etc.

Worth it? Opinions?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Given that information, what do you all think about doing a build? How "drop-in" are the drop-in barrels? Do the kits come with the frame and slide pre-fit? In other words, exactly how much gunsmithing will have to be done?

Worth it? Opinions?
Mine was a lot of fun. I used a Kart Easy-Fit barrel. The frame and slide were fitted already. I got sights from EGW and that was a bit frustrating, but it got sorted out.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The dealer / law enforcement price is less than $450. I'm sure the barrel has a little reduction on the price, too, but I didn't ask ($75 barrel, $25 bushing).

Given that information, what do you all think about doing a build? How "drop-in" are the drop-in barrels? Do the kits come with the frame and slide pre-fit? In other words, exactly how much gunsmithing will have to be done? I figure I'll use one of Cylinder and Slide's drop-in trigger kits (which always require a little smithing) for the ignition system.

I understand that a true custom gun is completely hand fit on every piece...I already have one of those. This gun would be similar to an off-the-rack piece in my estimation, and I'd skip all the cosmetic extras like checkering under the trigger guard, etc.

Worth it? Opinions?
The barrels where made for this frame and slide. Everything was prety much drop in for me. The only real gun smithing was the adapter plate to makt it a series 70 instead a series 80. I spent a good amout of time filing it down so it would fit right. Don't know if later one had the plates already pre fit. Mine was one of the first one. Aside from that it was increadably easy.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Sorry but what is the difference, new to 1911 but i am learning fast!!
The Series 80 Colt pistols have a firing pin lock that is disengaged by the trigger being pulled.

This model of Caspian can use the system (the Series 80 parts are not included) but comes with a spacer to fill the spot in the receiver where the parts go. It must be fitted.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The screw was put in the slide to retain the firing pin block. If you don't install the firing pin block, then the screw is just there to fill the hole.
The older SIG guns had a screw but it wasn't slotted. It had two small holes in it like a tiny manhole cover.

Bill.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The screw was put in the slide to retain the firing pin block. If you don't install the firing pin block, then the screw is just there to fill the hole.
The older SIG guns had a screw but it wasn't slotted. It had two small holes in it like a tiny manhole cover.

Bill.
Correct, it's just there to cover the hole.

·
Registered
21,991 Posts
Guiy here got one, it came out looking real nice but the external extractor is not reliable. He is trying to make up his mind whether to get a EGW extractor or a standard slide.

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
Buds gun shop has Sig XO's on sale for $589 I think. So buying this kit makes no sense. Except you get the rail. But I paid under 900 for a new Railed Nitron today. Complete gun, night sights, factory warranty, was a no brainer for me.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Buds gun shop has Sig XO's on sale for $589 I think. So buying this kit makes no sense. Except you get the rail. But I paid under 900 for a new Railed Nitron today. Complete gun, night sights, factory warranty, was a no brainer for me.
This is true. But some people want to have the expierence and pride of building their own. I aslo like hand picking the parts I wanted to use and truely making it my own. I do like the rail.

But you do have a point.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts