1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.....John M. Browning died at the FN plant in Belgium.

Thank you, JMB.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

·
Registered
558 Posts
If he died in 1926, then what year did the Hi-Power 9MM begin production? 1935 sticks in my head, unless I'm confused with the .357 Magnum's history.

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JMB's last design, that he completed, was the Superimposed shotgun. He had started working on the design of what became the GP-35 but the final design was completed by his Belgium assistant D. Saive. Mr. Saive also designed the SAFN and the FAL.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

·
Registered
674 Posts
While not familiar with the SAFN, I find it interesting that three of the greatest "modern" fighting weapons 1911, P35, and FAL came out of the minds of just two men nearly 75 years ago.

------------------
The United States Constitution (C)1791 - All rights reserved.

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While at work and finding the time to do so, I found that JMB died on 19 November. (Write it down in numbers as I posted it.)

He was on his 66th trip to Belgium and his wife was with him for the first time. He and his son, Val, went to the FN plant that morning. Val went to his office and JMB went upstairs. In a little while JMB came back to Val's office and said he was not feeling well and "I think I am going to die." Val called the plant doctor who came to his office and said that things did not look good. The doctor gave JMB a shot of something and he died a few minutes later.

Val did not know what the doctor injected in his father.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

1 - 6 of 6 Posts