1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be on the road in Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida and am wondering how each of these states laws are about transporting a loaded weapon in the front seat with me.

Any help or links to the information for those states would be greatly appreciated.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all!

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
The site Handgun Laws (I believe that's it) covers all the states.

In FL you can't leave it on the seat without a concealed license.The law reads it has to be securely encased or not readily available,what it doesn't say is it can't be seen.Securely encased means simply it's snapped in a holster,zippered in a pistol rug,in a closed glove box/center console,etc.In the glove box or center console is the easiest because you're not required to pull it from a holster or unzip/unsnap a case.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanx for the quick reply. I have no ccw, so i guess when i get to Florida it gets locked in the trunk, sans magazine?

·
Registered
12,292 Posts
I have no ccw, so i guess when i get to Florida it gets locked in the trunk, sans magazine?
You do NOT need a permit to transport a loaded firearm in FL. Just keep it securely encased and out of plain view, but NOT on your person. Glovebox, center console, door pocket, etc...or even in a cardboard box with a lid on it. You would indeed need a permit to have the loaded weapon on your person.

Applicable Florida Statute:
Link: http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0790/0790.html
1790.251 Protection of the right to keep and bear arms in motor vehicles for self-defense and other lawful purposes; prohibited acts; duty of public and private employers; immunity from liability; enforcement.

·
Registered
793 Posts
You don't need a permit to have a pistol or rifle in your car in Mississippi, its an extension of your home and covered under castle doctrine. If you do have a permit we are a reciprocity state, so you should be good either way.

·
Premium Member
20,430 Posts
There is a great iPhone app called CCW that keeps current and is very user friendly.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
FL is cool as I and US1911 said,securely encased as described.

Alabama I don't know,what Airbus Pilot quoted is just a copy of Fed regulations under USC 18,which applies to every union state but those that think they are special like NY.That covers you in any state,but NY will bust your ass and make you sue them to come out of it.Gotta love them,they don't understand the difference between mentally challenged (yeah,I'm being politically correct),and an inbred retart.And they joke about the movie Deliverance.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Your loaded firearm does not have to be in plain view in Louisiana. LE actually prefers it be hidden from view as this helps wandering eyes from seeing it in parking lots or other places where someone might break into your vehicle to steal it.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
FL is cool as I and US1911 said,securely encased as described.

Alabama I don't know,what Airbus Pilot quoted is just a copy of Fed regulations under USC 18,which applies to every union state but those that think they are special like NY.That covers you in any state,but NY will bust your ass and make you sue them to come out of it.Gotta love them,they don't understand the difference between mentally challenged (yeah,I'm being politically correct),and an inbred retart.And they joke about the movie Deliverance.
Actually, what Airbus Pilot stated is correct as per Alabama law.
Here is the state statute:

* "If you don’t have a concealed weapons permit, you may have a gun in your car if it is unloaded and locked in a compartment or container in the vehicle and out of reach from the driver or any passenger in the vehicle."

§13A-11-73. “(b) Except as otherwise prohibited by law, a person legally permitted to possess a pistol, but who does not possess a valid concealed weapon permit, may possess an unloaded pistol in his or her motor vehicle if the pistol is locked in a compartment or container that is in or affixed securely to the vehicle and out of reach of the driver and any passenger in the vehicle.”

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I guess, but I really don't understand NOT having a concealed carry permit. I've had one for 30 years. Go to the sherriff's office, fill out the form, wait 15 minutes at the most and wah-lah.

Alabama also reciprocates CC's with every state in the SE (except South Carolina which has more restrictive laws).

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Make yourself a New Year's Resolution, that you will get a concealed carry permit in your home state, and one for Florida and Utah as well. That way you are good to go in any part of the country worth visiting (which does NOT include New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts).

·
Registered
940 Posts
South Carolina laws are not too restrictive. You can carry a loaded handgun in your vehicle as long as it is inside your glove box or closed center console. You do not need to have a concealed weapons permit. Also, South Carolina does require a training course to get your CCW here, which involves some basic handgun training to get. It includes some handgun safety and firing 50 rounds. Palmetto State Armory here charges $50 for the course and its pretty simple. I may be incorrect here, but I think SC won't reciprocate with a State that has no training requirement of their own. I would support a change in that, because if one state issues a CCW, I think all states should recognize it just like a driver's license.

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
Most have covered the laws, have a safe trip to and from, Merry Christmas

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you all very much for the advise (links, knowledge, et al). Made it without incident, safe. You all have a very Merry Christmas and Happy and Safe Holidays!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts