1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a story about the good guy getting the bad guy. The gangs in northeast PA are getting bad in Easton, Allentown, Bethlehem. An earlier article said the thugs are members of the Crips.

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all-b1_3prelim.6234335jan19,0,378243.story

By Tyra Braden | Of The Morning Call
January 19, 2008

An Easton man testified he unholstered his handgun and slipped it into his coat pocket moments before Maurice T. Cook and Tyrone Wright tried to rob him at gunpoint.

Robert Pierce Jr. said he became suspicious when Cook, 22, of Easton, and Wright, 22, of Newark, N.J., who were walking behind him, picked up their pace and narrowed the gap as all three made their way to S. 11th Street about 5:30 p.m. Dec. 4. Pierce said he didn't know either man but knew something was wrong when he heard them call out ''Yo,'' or ''Hey.''

Cook, Pierce said, pulled out a handgun, which he pressed to Pierce's back, then his head, and both men warned him to be quiet and dragged him a short distance. ''That's when I took the chance and pulled my gun,'' Pierce testified Friday during a preliminary hearing before District Judge Michael Koury of Wilson.

Pierce said he fired into the air and Wright ran. Cook returned fire and, Pierce said, appeared to be positioning himself to shoot him. Pierce said he aimed for Cook's legs and squeezed off another round. Cook, who had been shot in the abdomen, took off running. Pierce yelled to a man who had come out of a nearby market to call for help, then he walked the short distance to his fiancee's mother's home on Lehigh Street and told her to call police.

Koury sent all charges against Cook and Wright to county court. Each man is charged with robbery, aggravated assault and conspiracy to commit both crimes. Wright also is charged with giving a false name to police and Cook is charged with two firearms counts. Both remain in the county jail under $250,000 bail.

Pierce said he had left his fiancee's home on Warren Street and encountered Pierce and Cook soon after leaving. He said that during the attempted robbery, he told the two he had nothing to steal. ''They were telling me to calm down,'' Pierce said. ''Cook was saying he was gonna shoot me'' and Wright added, ''Yeah, he's gonna shoot you.''

''I decided I was gonna fight back,'' said Pierce, who has a permit to carry a concealed weapon. He was not charged with a crime.

Easton police officer Robert Weber testified that he was called to 1143 Washington St. for a report of a shooting victim. Weber said Cook was lying in the foyer of the building, moaning. He said Wright identified himself as Tyrone Watson and gave several Social Security numbers and dates of birth. Asked what had happened, Weber said, Wright said, ''A white guy came out and started shooting'' at him and Cook.

Detective Daniel Reagan said he interviewed Cook at St. Luke's Hospital-Fountain Hill, where he underwent surgery for his wound. ''He didn't know the individual's name,'' Reagan said. ''He said he's a white boy who hangs around Butler Street.'' Reagan said Cook told him Pierce ''said something about a female,'' and Cook ''told him to go on,'' but Pierce pulled out a gun and opened fire as Cook tried to disarm him.

Police found a .45-caliber handgun on S. 11th Street. Pierce, once at his fiancee's mother's house, said he unloaded his gun, put it in plain view and waited for police.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
That's a shame. Mr. Pierce needs some SD training. "Fired once in the air and once at his legs?" At an armed assailant at bad breath range? Should have been an instictive double-tap at COM with no hesitation at the first sign of a weapon. He already was aware of a threat.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Well, I think there are a few good things:
Good guy didn't get hurt, didn't get arrested.
Bad guy still understands he made a bad decision.

Other than that, there are so many huge holes in the story, it wouldn't even make a good window screen (presuming it was Summer).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree completely. I was also shocked that he fired a shot in the air when he just had a .45 pointed at his head. I was also surprised that he chose to shoot his (3d?) shot at the thug's legs instead of center mass.
I'm glad things worked out the way it did, but it could have been much different.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
he was prob scared out of his wits. he could be someone who really really doesnt want to take another life.

i hope i never have to take a life, but i also have no problem with the thought of putting the bad guy in the ground, because if i dont, the next victim may not live through it. i dont want to have to live with that thought.

center mass / head shots..

that shooting at the legs or in the air is not for me..

NEVER USE LETHAL FORCE IN A NON LETHAL MANNER

russel
SDMF

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Just pondering this one over.

I guess that if Mr. Pierce wanted to protect himself, as his choice to carry indicates, but personally did not want to take a life (choice to fire in the air and then at the legs) he did it just fine, with a whole lot of luck tossed in along the way. Coming out of that situation without having to deal with the aftermath of killing someone does have an up side. Considering the actions, the proximity and the weapon of the BG, Mr. Pierce appears to have been one very fortunate individual, all the way around.

For most, the choice to carry also includes the decision to shoot to end a threat, if it comes to that and whatever that takes, which usually does mean shooting for maximum damage, if not out right death, right off the top from round one out the tube.

Be safe, shoot well. :rock:

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
Since these guys were within bad breath range, wouldn't it be prudent to go for a head shot rather than COM?

If he took a shot as his legs and hit him in the abdomen, I don't think he should have tried a head shot.

·
Registered
226 Posts
That's a shame. Mr. Pierce needs some SD training. "Fired once in the air and once at his legs?" At an armed assailant at bad breath range? Should have been an instictive double-tap at COM with no hesitation at the first sign of a weapon. He already was aware of a threat.
My guess is that`s not what he did but was coached to say that in order to avoid any litigation or the wrath of any gun grabbers. This area is only a half dozen blocks from a multiple gang style murder recently. I think the self defender was carrying a revolver.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I would of went for COM. But then again I never had a gun pointed at my head. Hopefully I never do.
Like earlier mentioned, something funny about the story.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I tend to think Pierce saying "he aimed for Cook's legs" was a foolishly lame attempt to make himself look better to the court. :( How kind of Pierce to try to wound the man who was trying to kill him... I mean, come on!

·
Registered
49 Posts
hey guys, I'm kind of a noob here so please don't tear my a new one :p

I had a question though about this scenario because to my view it seems like it pretty much negates the point in carrying a concealed weapon for protection...I mean the "bad" guy has the jump on you, which I think in most cases this would be a highly likely scenario - what's the point in carrying the weapon at that point? is it for retaliation? like you're going to use it to scare the robber into giving you back your goods after he robs you or something?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Even if the BG has the drop on you, if he does not know you are carrying, he may be complacent. The opportunity to draw and shoot may present itself. It's not about retaliation or protection of money or property, it's about protection of your life. If the BG is robbing you at gunpoint, the working assumption is that he will shoot you. If he has already robbed you and is running away, in most states (all states?) you cannot legally shot him.

Hank

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Since these guys were within bad breath range, wouldn't it be prudent to go for a head shot rather than COM?
In my opinion, going for head shots is usually a bad idea, unless he's right in your face. A head is a small target, and much smaller when you're under stress and everybody's moving. Too big a chance of missing and hitting an innocent person anywhere in the background. A miss could be fatal to an innocent that's a looooong ways away from you.

Here in Denver, two women were killed early New Year's morning by a single shot from a .44 mag. Some idiot was shooting at a streetlight, and didn't notice there was a house directly behind the streetlight. Bullet went through the wall, through a woman's head that was sitting in a chair, and into the chest of her niece standing next to her. Killed 'em both. Shooter was a felon in possession of an illegal handgun.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts